All that I've known is gone, time to be moving on...
#320451 by Fartallover
Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:56 pm
I can't stop listening to Ocean Machine. It was the second album of his I bought. (Addicted being the first) The album hasn't came out of my car for almost 2 years. I love all his other albums, but I don't think he will ever top this album, nor do I think I will ever have a more favorite album from any artist.

I can't be the only one obsessed with this CD right?
#320455 by JuZ
Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:20 pm
You're certainly not alone!

I've been listening to OM for a lot of years now and it's still EASILY the best album I have ever heard by any artist in my life.

Many albums give me goosebumpy moments but OM is an entire album of hair-raising beauty.

There's an otherworldly quality that I've never been able to find the right words for. It's a combination of haunting, longing, peace, tension, loneliness and astonishing beauty.

A masterpiece.

So, tell a dusty old fan, what made you pick this as the second album you bought?
#320457 by Fartallover
Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:59 pm
I was unfamiliar with his work at the time. Well, for the most part I was. I was browsing Youtube videos and came across "Numbered - Devin Townsend - By A Thread." Listened to it. Was blown away. Then, ordered that CD online. Then, I checked out his discography and saw that Ocean Machine was his first, so I ordered that next.

Yes, I agree that there is other worldliness on that album. I think it has a lot to do with the amount of layering that fits so well with the songs. Like on Voices in the Fan, those industrial drum sounds sound like they are being recorded in a freaking metal boiling room somewhere in hell. It's so scary, but so damn good.