All that I've known is gone, time to be moving on...

#69035 by asparagusDuck
Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:19 am
personally, i wouldnt want a sequel to ocean machine. first of all, the first one was perfect! so i dont see how he could improve upon it. Plus think of the overwhelming expectations people would have of it. He would be under a lot of stress to deliver something just like ocean machine. I'm sure he has grown and evolved tremendously since OM, writing another OM type album may be kind of forced and unnatural. Just my 2 cents anyway.

#69038 by LouiLoomis
Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:52 am
asparagusDuck wrote:personally, i wouldnt want a sequel to ocean machine. first of all, the first one was perfect! so i dont see how he could improve upon it. Plus think of the overwhelming expectations people would have of it. He would be under a lot of stress to deliver something just like ocean machine. I'm sure he has grown and evolved tremendously since OM, writing another OM type album may be kind of forced and unnatural. Just my 2 cents anyway.

People thought City would never be beat, but I think it has been beaten by Alien.

#69057 by Blazingmonga
Wed Jan 26, 2005 2:26 pm
LouiLoomis wrote:
asparagusDuck wrote:personally, i wouldnt want a sequel to ocean machine. first of all, the first one was perfect! so i dont see how he could improve upon it. Plus think of the overwhelming expectations people would have of it. He would be under a lot of stress to deliver something just like ocean machine. I'm sure he has grown and evolved tremendously since OM, writing another OM type album may be kind of forced and unnatural. Just my 2 cents anyway.

People thought City would never be beat, but I think it has been beaten by Alien.

City is City and Alien is Alien, and neither of them are Ocean Machine. I dont think there will ever be a Dev record released with the specific aim of doing what another album has already done. Thats my two pence.

#69068 by LouiLoomis
Wed Jan 26, 2005 6:42 pm
Blazingmonga wrote:City is City and Alien is Alien, and neither of them are Ocean Machine. I dont think there will ever be a Dev record released with the specific aim of doing what another album has already done. Thats my two pence.

I understand that but Devin said something along the lines of not wanting to do anymore SYL because he didn't think he could top City. SYL got back together and recorded 'SYL' which sounded nothing like City and wasn't as good in my opinion. But Alien for me (whilst being in a league of its own) is better than City, although you are correct 'City is City and Alien is Alien'

#69148 by Marshall Bravestar
Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:48 pm
I reckon that he's already created unofficial sequels to Ocean Machine in Terria and Accelerated Evolution. Whilst Infinity and Physicist now stand as wonderful stand-alone curiosities, Terria and AE share OM's more balanced and considered emotions - the kind of emotions that most of feel in real life and the kind that most songwriters really struggle to get across.

Somehow Dev manages to capture all these emotions in these albums and I think that is why people really want to see sequels.

Personally, I'd love to see an evolution of the direction Infinity was taking. Devin seems to have an ear for the avant garde (Devlab?) and more stuff along those lines would be top. It's the only area of his songwriting that doesn't seem to show up much anymore (but then I haven't heard Alien yet...) :(

#69181 by asparagusDuck
Thu Jan 27, 2005 9:10 pm
LouiLoomis wrote:

Even so, there's a difference between "beating" a previous record and creating a similar sounding sequel. I don't think Dev was trying to create a sequel to City with Alien was he?

#69374 by LouiLoomis
Sat Jan 29, 2005 8:03 pm
asparagusDuck wrote:Even so, there's a difference between "beating" a previous record and creating a similar sounding sequel. I don't think Dev was trying to create a sequel to City with Alien was he?

Good point. I'm glad SYL haven't repeated themselves to be honest.

#71149 by Kazrog
Tue Feb 15, 2005 3:52 pm
I am definitely ready for a second Ocean Machine album. It's time, after this SYL tour cycle is over. I really hope he does it.
Last edited by Kazrog on Fri Apr 08, 2005 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#73951 by rgx612a
Mon Mar 21, 2005 5:52 pm
The more I listen to this album the more I realize how brilliant it is. It's definitely my favourite Devin Townsend album. I don't think he should do a Ocean Machine pt2 or something. I think Devin should keep moving forward and evolving with his music.

#75217 by burning witch
Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:17 pm
rgx612a wrote:The more I listen to this album the more I realize how brilliant it is. It's definitely my favourite Devin Townsend album. I don't think he should do a Ocean Machine pt2 or something. I think Devin should keep moving forward and evolving with his music.

Exactly.

I absolutely adore OM yet I'd never really bode with the idea of Dev making an OM part 2. Why not let him go down different routes, instead of picking up 'old flames' as it were.

Some things are how they are because there's nothing else like it.

#76343 by Greg Reason
Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:03 am
LouiLoomis wrote:

City has not been beat :twisted:

#76561 by bpeter
Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:16 am
Finally I've got it! Its amazing!!! Dev Rulez! Come To Hungary!!!

#78580 by Hellhammer
Mon May 30, 2005 10:31 pm
I don't want a sequel to OM, even though it is my favorite Dev album. I am simply content with the bits and pieces that we get on the albums after that sound a little like Ocean Machine. But yeah, Ocean Machine is it's own entity and shall stand the test of time.

#90249 by Atari
Sun Oct 02, 2005 2:20 pm
Got it on Monday. Aces. Just how good is Night?

#90253 by Persuader
Sun Oct 02, 2005 2:52 pm
Atari wrote:Got it on Monday. Aces. Just how good is Night?

Pretty damn good. :wink: