All that I've known is gone, time to be moving on...
#69185 by a_random_person
Thu Jan 27, 2005 10:28 pm
I don't know why I'm posting this as a topic but I'm sure a few people might have something to either say or say back. Just recently, I had smoked some crazy international bud that took me as far away as regular bud could take ever take me. I was on the bus and felt like freaking out so as an attempt to balance it all out, I decided to listen to Ocean Machine (which actually took my mind away before giving it back). I didn't move an inch for the entire time but that record left a permanent impression on me that I never expected. The wall of guitars became like the ocean waves, they would creep up behind me and splash all over me. Like the waves, they came in sets. I mean god, this record behaved like the actual ocean! I had no control anymore and just let loose and let the sounds (currents in this case) take me far away, being turbulent, calm, and any characteristic that one can associate with how the ocean behaves.

Funny how the very last track was like a rebirth as opposed to its title. The Death of Music was like the shore after having washed up on the beach after I had been lost in it. Just had to say that was such an amazing and sometimes scary experience. Ocean Machine truly lives up to it's name.

#69186 by mo
Thu Jan 27, 2005 10:33 pm
yeah it'll do that

My friend wanted to try ecstasy so when he peaked, I threw him in my bathroom with my laptop and some seinheissers and made him listen to Terria in the dark...

He came out a different person

#70273 by Tenser
Mon Feb 07, 2005 3:11 am
Try keeping with your life.Think of this as soullidays.Use it as you like.
And welcome to the club.

#70333 by Bloody_Rust
Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:45 am
I have a big fear of drowning. Everytime I think about it I panic.

Put it this way - I believe that I would be happier drowning if I were listening to Ocean Machine. In other words, Ocean Machine could block out all fear of drowning.

And I talk crap :D

#70334 by Blazingmonga
Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:46 am
I nearly drowned once...had to get pulled out of a Loch by a big fat man...

Seeing the light of day from under water when you are totally freaking out is an image that has stuck with me since!

#70336 by Bloody_Rust
Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:53 am
I would imagine it has, David! I used to nearly have a panic attack if I was swimming and choked on some water... :shock: Strange, really. But yes - Ocean Machine does sometimes feel like real waves, or a real ocean. It's so.... broad :). But hey... Maybe that's why it's so accurately titled ;)

#72195 by FlatHead
Wed Mar 02, 2005 7:11 am
I nearly drowned once when I was six or so, and I've been having recurring dreams about drowning ever since. I say 'dreams', not nightmares... in my dreams, drowning always feels like letting go, like sinking into darkness and accepting it. Strange as it may sound, I like those dreams.

This has nothing to do with Ocean Machine, I know. Just thought I'd share it with the group :)
#72417 by rwo1
Sun Mar 06, 2005 1:19 am
a_random_person wrote:I don't know why I'm posting this as a topic but I'm sure a few people might have something to either say or say back. Just recently, I had smoked some crazy international bud that took me as far away as regular bud could take ever take me. I was on the bus and felt like freaking out so as an attempt to balance it all out, I decided to listen to Ocean Machine (which actually took my mind away before giving it back). I didn't move an inch for the entire time but that record left a permanent impression on me that I never expected. The wall of guitars became like the ocean waves, they would creep up behind me and splash all over me. Like the waves, they came in sets. I mean god, this record behaved like the actual ocean! I had no control anymore and just let loose and let the sounds (currents in this case) take me far away, being turbulent, calm, and any characteristic that one can associate with how the ocean behaves.
Funny how the very last track was like a rebirth as opposed to its title. The Death of Music was like the shore after having washed up on the beach after I had been lost in it. Just had to say that was such an amazing and sometimes scary experience. Ocean Machine truly lives up to it's name.

Wow...i totally understnad what you mean...One of my fondest memories is going on tour with my band....and listening to OCEAN MACHINE on our way to Winnipeg...as we made our way around Lake Superiour..i remember seeing all the water and forest and thinking how the music just seem to make the scenery come alive....the 3 of us were dead quite the whole time the CD was on...and i remember us looking at each other when it was done and saying how that truely made that part of a long trip..(Sudbury to Winnipeg) very memorable....Thanks Devin

#72756 by Rectal Terror
Fri Mar 11, 2005 10:09 am
Hi to all ! :D
I don't know if that was done deliberately or just a incredible luck but yes, the whole sound of the album has something "liquid" .... this is very strange but definitively on of the best albums ever ... i first discovered Devin with "life" back in 98 when OM was released here and it was an enourmous shock ... i must have listened to it for 3 months non stop :happy:

I enjoy it even more on hot summer nights

#73135 by a_random_person
Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:52 pm
Hot summer nights huh?

I was on a field trip with a few people from my class at Banff (somewhere in Alberta) when I first heard Devin Townsend for the first time in my life. I bought the Infinity record and I actually listened to it while we all were skiing. What's funny was the fact that my CD player survived the many times I took some nasty falls since I would get so caught up in the madness of that record. I cannot listen to Infinity during the nighttime, period. I'll never forget how the song Truth just filled me with life and excitement while I was in the van, watching the terrian covered with snow while the sun was rising, just bringing life to everything......*wipes away a tear*....boy was that trip one of the best times of my life. We all had just reached the age of 18 and though no one was a stranger to alcohol, it was magical sharing it with everyone without hiding in the bushes (per say). Argh....

I liked the way you mentioned that OM had some "liquid".....
Heck yes! Just don't mix it with mindblowing pot! Too powerful.

#76346 by Greg Reason
Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:08 am
Yeah, Ocean Machine has always sounded very oceanic to me, I think it's mostly the guitar running through the octave device that gives it that sweeping watery sound for me, like in the first few seconds of Voices in the Fan.

#80105 by Verdo
Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:38 am
I would want to add that OM sounds cold also...Whenever I listen to Bastard for example, I picture myself flying above icebergs on a crisp bright polar morning. I imagine the polar seas, the whales singing, the calm and pure waters...

We always talk of the fact that OM sounds liquid but forget the cold of this album, which also makes it perfect for a day in the mountain snow in winter.

The uniqueness comes from the fact that it DOES sound cold but not dark. The purity and the hope in this album are a great support for someone like me who is disgusted by the way we destroy our planet..

I noticed that OM has a great seducing power on the people of my entourage who are involved in ecology...One must be a poet and have a great deal of respect for Nature to appreciate this album as it deserves!

#80941 by DevonH
Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:50 am
"Bastard" has always made me imagine some kind of futuristic oceanic station in the middle of the ocean, half under water. I always picture myself at night, floating in the water next to this huge thing, a full moon in the sky and waves lapping against the side.

The rest of the album reminds me of a progression of a night floating, lost at sea. If I could lie on my back in the ocean at night with a clear sky and full moon while listening to OM, everything would fit together perfectly.

#81236 by Hellhammer
Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:32 pm
DevonH wrote:"Bastard" has always made me imagine some kind of futuristic oceanic station in the middle of the ocean, half under water. I always picture myself at night, floating in the water next to this huge thing, a full moon in the sky and waves lapping against the side.

That is a different, but interesting way to look at it. I personally don't think of the ocean when I listen to Bastard. But the rest of the album.. yes.