All that I've known is gone, time to be moving on...

#88016 by VampireDaveGrohl
Mon Sep 12, 2005 1:42 am
If you wanna introduce someone via the cheesy Devin it has to be Slow Me Down, that opening riff is so loud and yet so pop, it's great!

#88094 by BaldMosher446
Mon Sep 12, 2005 5:30 pm
Slow Me Down is a great song. I feel like it's an underrated song.

But it SLOWS ME DOWN!!!!

#88142 by VampireDaveGrohl
Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:44 am
It's just those opening 8 bars or so, cos there is never a point in the song where that riff is THAT loud again. It's just bababa BAANAA NAA NAA NAA NANANA BAAA! etc.

Or even Stagnent, there are chessy pop way to sucker people into Dev, and roaring metal ways, and psycho crazy ways too.

#88144 by funny_little_guy
Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:48 am
Stagant isn't that pop, it's upbeat sure but not pop

#88161 by VampireDaveGrohl
Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:57 am
I suppose when i say pop i mean gorgeous vocal melodies that you can sing along to. While Stagnant is no more upbeat than say, Voices in the Fan (to me anyway) the vocal makes it that much more "poppy" for want of a better word.

#88162 by VampireDaveGrohl
Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:58 am
And with that post i stopped being Stagnant, and now i'm a Traveller! Whoop!

#88165 by funny_little_guy
Tue Sep 13, 2005 4:01 am
Haha I just became a 'Bad Devil' I get what you mean about the melody, it's all true. It could be on the raido no problem and thats all that counts.

#88185 by Greg Reason
Tue Sep 13, 2005 5:43 am
I don't mean to seem like a whiner but all those songs are my least favourite Devin tunes.. "Slow me Down," "Traveller," "Bad Devil"... "Slow me Down" in particular gets my goat, it's just so annoying. It sounds like a fuckin punk song, the way those chuggy guitars are with that melody in the verses... Sheesh. At least the bridge is cool. I prefer it when Dev is serious on record. I love that he's happy but I wish he wouldn't put that shit on his albums :lol:

"Voices in the Fan" rules though.... but I wouldn't be calling that poppy, it still has that sad, dark under current in the melody and the shimmering guitars that stretch out underneath it.

#88187 by VampireDaveGrohl
Tue Sep 13, 2005 5:50 am
I must heartily disagree. One of my favourite things about devin is his range of styles. Sometimes you wanna scream and shout and create lush metal or whatever, and sometimes you want to sing a harmonious melody thats attached to a riff that has "happy over it". I love how he can have songs like "Depth Charge" and "Slow Me Down" ont he same album, and be totally sincere about it. I thin that's the crux of it, cos we know he isn't doing to to sell more records or get more accessible. He's doing it because its what he wants to do, and i respect that.

I would be dissappointed if songs like "Life", "Stagnant" "Slow Me Down", "Christeen", "Irish Maiden" (to a lesser extent) and "Traveller" didn't make the cut because they were deemed too poppy. I know i adore each and every one of those songs as much as i adore "Bastard", or "Truth" or "Deviod" or "Earth Day" or "Away".

Of course, it's all personal taste. By all means skip these tracks, but don't deny them to me at least.

#88194 by Greg Reason
Tue Sep 13, 2005 6:35 am
I don't skip tracks... I just would prefer if they weren't there. But you can't go skipping tracks.

#88201 by Greg Reason
Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:50 am
Truth, Tiny Tears, Nobody's Here, Dynamics, Voices in the Fan...

If I had to pick only one it would be Truth.

#88202 by VampireDaveGrohl
Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:14 am
I love all those except perhaps Dynamics, it's a little too repetitive for me, doesn't really go anywhere.

Ok, what was the original point again? I got sidetracked!

#88290 by Greg Reason
Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:37 pm
I think it goes everywhere that it should go. Perfect.

But yes, we were saying how cheesy Life is :D

#88297 by funny_little_guy
Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:52 pm
And it is very cheesy, I wish I worked at a raido staion cuz I recon it wouldn't be too hard to get it played saying it was an 80's classic or something.