All that I've known is gone, time to be moving on...
#241752 by Knotrice
Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:56 pm
NEEEEECRRRRRRRROOO POWWEEEER!
anyway.
I would too... can anyone field this?
#242176 by antikythera
Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:25 pm
God that would be great. I love the live acoustics of these so much.

I can't help much but I know I've heard it said that they're in open C, which sounds very reasonable.
#242224 by GaiaTimesInfinity
Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:59 am
Try using a search engine in future: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/d/devin_townsend/hide_nowhere_tab.htm

But remember, a lot of tabs have inaccuracies, not least because they are typed wrong, but the actual musicians usually play things slightly different.

If you want to be a good musian you need to learn to play by ear.
#242259 by antikythera
Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:02 pm
GaiaTimesInfinity wrote:If you want to be a good musian you need to learn to play by ear.

Now that's just silly. It's useful, but no more compulsory than reading sheet music.
#242260 by antikythera
Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:07 pm
GaiaTimesInfinity wrote:Try using a search engine in future: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/d/devin_townsend/hide_nowhere_tab.htm

But remember, a lot of tabs have inaccuracies, not least because they are typed wrong, but the actual musicians usually play things slightly different.

If you want to be a good musian you need to learn to play by ear.

Also, I don't even think that's even meant to be an acoustic tab. It's only got the bass note rhythm. That wouldn't be difficult for anyone to finger out by ear in a matter of minutes. The tab for the actual acoustic song is a hell of a lot more complicated.
#242399 by GaiaTimesInfinity
Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:39 am
antikythera wrote:
GaiaTimesInfinity wrote:If you want to be a good musian you need to learn to play by ear.

Now that's just silly. It's useful, but no more compulsory than reading sheet music.

Er.. no. It is 100% compulsory, and far more than reading anything. Ask any musician such as myself, and you will get the same answer.
#242406 by Biert
Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:54 am
GaiaTimesInfinity wrote:
antikythera wrote:

Er.. no. It is 100% compulsory, and far more than reading anything. Ask any musician such as myself, and you will get the same answer.

Oh wow, so you make the claim, you confirmed it and if we ask you, we'll get the same answer again? Convincing :P

And I wouldn't see playing by ear as essential for a musician either. A big plus, for sure. But not "100% compulsory".

Besides, have you ever considered the fact that the people who asked for the tabs do not consider themselves "good musicians", and maybe not planning to be for a while (as in, still practising their way through mediocrity). So they don't (think they) have the skills to play it by ear, so they're looking for a tab because it'll be way more accurate than their own hearing.

Oh, and who cares if the tab is not exactly the way the musician plays it? If it sounds the same, we're good, no?

Or, I could just fuck off ;)
#242540 by antikythera
Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:36 pm
GaiaTimesInfinity wrote:If you don't want to be a good musician, don't bother, and rely on tabs all your life. :lol:

Again, that's really silly. The only things you need to be famous, aside from knowing the right people, are the creativity to write songs and the technical ability to play them.
#242541 by swervedriver
Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:57 pm
antikythera wrote:
GaiaTimesInfinity wrote:If you don't want to be a good musician, don't bother, and rely on tabs all your life. :lol:

Again, that's really silly. The only things you need to be famous, aside from knowing the right people, are the creativity to write songs and the technical ability to play them.

Like Green Day.
#242728 by swervedriver
Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:33 pm
GaiaTimesInfinity wrote:^ Amen. I hope you were on my side there Swerve, in knowing that greenday are a pile of crap. That is the difference between people who can barely play by ear, and Mr Townsend with his PHD in music.

Yeah, playing by ear is a very handy skill and I'd recommend any musician to practice it, but having a tab would definitely come in handy when you're starting out, just to verify that what you're hearing is correct. Although I'm not going to go as far as saying you cannot be a good musician if you can't play by ear. Just saying it can help.