All that I've known is gone, time to be moving on...
#81978 by IronMaiden736
Sun Jul 10, 2005 8:50 pm
This song is amazing. The only thing I really don't get is why he put the 2 people talking about golf at the end of the song. It such a serious and emotional song, then he throws that part in.

It's one of my favorite songs on ocean machine. What does everyone else think of it?

#81981 by Terraformer
Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:10 am
Two people? It's Devs' voice all the time. You're referring to that
"It's a...driving-range."-part, eh? Well, he just describes what he
sees, wandering through the city of Fukuoka at night. I'm not sure
if this was recorded live with a small dictating machine, when Dev
lived in Japan for some time, or afterwards in the studio, recalling
the impressions from memory. Anyway...
I think its a DAMN cool idea...

#81994 by Blazingmonga
Mon Jul 11, 2005 3:44 am
I can see how you might not like this part, and you wouldn't be wrong for not liking it, but I think it rocks.

Its like you can imagine yourself being toured around Fukuoka by Devin, like this is the city that was being sung about. This is where you have come to die. I think it is all just Devin's way of representing these ideas very visually. The layers in the music and all the samples are all part of this very 'organic' approach to songwriting. So maybe on the first listen there is a normal song that you hear and enjoy, but the next time you listen you hear a few more things, both in the foreground and in the background. The more you hear, the more of a 'picture' you can build in your head, like all these things are details in the story.

Bah, anyway thats what I think, and that is why I think this sample is good.

#81997 by Chris
Mon Jul 11, 2005 3:56 am
During my first OM listens, I often skipped this track... I still don't play it as often as Regulator ie, but it really grew on me and I'm simply not that often in the mood to listen to TDOM.

The atmosphere created pretty much stands for itself. And I NEVER had problems with those voice samples... This part is a real mindfuck! Listening to this song in the dark is amazing, when all those noises creeping out of the speakers surround you... Well, guess this post can be pretty much summed up by saying that I consider it to be a great piece of art.

#82004 by fragility
Mon Jul 11, 2005 6:35 am
This song just amazes me every time!

#82005 by DeafbyStereo
Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:35 am
I had a really weird experience while listening to this song walking home in the rain on a full moon lit night at about 2.00am. Its such a powerful, atmospheric song.

#82042 by IronMaiden736
Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:20 pm
I guess a lot of you missunderstood me. I don't hate that sample at the end, I love it!!! It's a cool sample. I just didn't understand why he put it in. Now reading some of your responses I see why he did. Sorry if I sounded negative toward the sample.

And wow, I could have sworn it was two people talking hahaha

#82043 by thefillersweetcityjesus
Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:11 pm
i remember when i first got this song i listened to it and didnt' hear antyhing because my speakers were low (it was late at night) so i didnt even know it was a song! then like a couple months later i finally heard it. its amazing! i love it, and when im at work doing cleaning in thei morning shifts when no ones around i bring inm y mp3 player and crank up death of music. noting like it...

#82064 by Blazingmonga
Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:56 am
IronMaiden736 wrote:I guess a lot of you missunderstood me. I don't hate that sample at the end, I love it!!! It's a cool sample. I just didn't understand why he put it in. Now reading some of your responses I see why he did. Sorry if I sounded negative toward the sample.

And wow, I could have sworn it was two people talking hahaha

Dude, no need to apologise! You said nothing wrong.

#82079 by Lumiere
Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:03 am
This is my favourite Ocean Machine song. An amazing buildup to what is a good 9+ minutes of asskickery. Just pure genius.

#82153 by CardDinour
Wed Jul 13, 2005 6:19 am
its one of the best devy songs going around :D i dont really analyse songs like some people do - i just hear it and like it or not like it.
in this case i love it :D truly a masterpiece :)

#82161 by Coma Divine
Wed Jul 13, 2005 7:29 am
I've already explained this here many moons ago...

Very likely my most treasured piece of Dev-ness. :amen:

#82363 by IronMaiden736
Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:02 am
This is like the 15th time I've listened to this song today. It's so touching and moving. I love it!

#82575 by Archetype
Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:30 am
Death of Music... this is a masterpiece in my eyes. Just samples and a WHOLE lot of guitar effects. When I first heard the crappy midi-drum, the perfectionist in me said: What a bunch of shit.
But it only took me one listen and my mouth fell wide open of the spectrum of sound in this song. The midi-drum actually fits the song great, and supports the dark and melancholy ambience of this song.
Even the name The Death Of Music, to my eyes is brilliant. I didn't even hear the song yet, but I read the name and thought that was just an awesome title. Death of Music in my eyes would be the end of everything. No more music...no more life.

And this already showed me Devin's eletronic side. People who are shocked by Devlab of Project EKO really didn't listen carefully to The Death Of Music.