All that I've known is gone, time to be moving on...
#99327 by Sam Moore
Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:54 am
My absolute favourite moment in Devin's music is the bridge in "Seventh Wave", the transition between "Watch the Seventh Wave" and "On my way pass it on...." I have to be careful if I'm listening to this song when walking along cos that bit makes my legs turn to spaghetti, and I don't get the shivers as much as convulse! There's so many transcendental moments in Devy's music, where the melody, instruments, production and context all come together, but this one is the greatest for me (although "My day's gone and my year's gone and I don't know when I'm coming home" comes close, as do many other moments).

Ocean Machine is a staggering work of genius. I don't say that lightly either. I have over a 1000 Cds in all genres, a degree in classical music, and I've heard some epic, epic stuff (Ravel's Daphnis and Chloe, Mahler's Symphonies etc) but Devin just takes the cake.

So anyone else think the "On my way pass it on bit" has a magical, myserious and transcendental quality?
#99331 by djskrimp
Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:55 am
Sam Moore wrote:
So anyone else think the "On my way pass it on bit" has a magical, myserious and transcendental quality?

To me, the album as a whole has that effect.

#100140 by Lumiere
Mon Dec 19, 2005 12:46 pm
Hello Sam.

#100321 by FUBAR
Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:39 am
Yeah Sam that bit is very poignant...Also the finally big melody on the Hide Nowhere Chorus always gives me goosebumps. :)

#100338 by VampireDaveGrohl
Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:34 am
The bit when the string first get twnged into a chord in "Voices in the Fan" does that to me. When the ending part of HIde Nowhere dies down, you get a few seconds of quiet guitar, and then TWANG bad dam dam da da dam dam Voices In The Fan kicks in. Sublime.

#100344 by Persuader
Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:47 am
Sam Moore: Hah, just reading your post made the hairs stand on my arms..so yeah, I guess you could say I agree. :)

There are so many moments like that in Devs music...The "stay with me" part in Storm (cried to that one), the climax of Death of music, the verse of Christeen, Nobody's here...etc etc

#100346 by VampireDaveGrohl
Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:00 am
That pause in stagnent when he sings "but aint it funny how after trying to find my way.....home...." etc. Makes me well up!

#102090 by asparagusDuck
Mon Dec 26, 2005 12:57 pm
I've always loved that part. No matter what I'm doing when that part of the song comes up, I hafta start singing along. Love it!!! :-)

#102411 by junkmonkey
Wed Dec 28, 2005 1:52 pm
the part in Christeen where Dev sings "oh,we know, and we're feeling so much better than before...." that's one of those moments for me but damn!there's SO many of those moments like that throughout all of his CD's for me,that's just one i can think of off the top of my head :)

#102441 by gurp13
Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:50 pm
One of my favorite parts is in Kingdom when Dev sings "Staaay with meeee, loooove. Play with meeeee." But, what's weird is that I'm not sure he says "love" because sometimes it sounds like "lord" which makes no damn sense. The lyrics on the site don't list a word either way. Anyone know? Sorry if this takes the thread off-topic. :offtopic:

#102487 by Chris
Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:33 am
gurp13 wrote:Sorry if this takes the thread off-topic. :offtopic:

Pfff! We all know that you were just looking for an oppurtunity to use the off-topic - emoticon :lol:

#102568 by gurp13
Thu Dec 29, 2005 4:45 pm
Chris wrote:

Pfff! We all know that you were just looking for an oppurtunity to use the off-topic - emoticon :lol:

Hey, we all have to have a New Year's Resolution, right? Mine is to use more emoticons.

#102680 by sj_2150
Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:47 pm
gurp13 wrote:
Chris wrote:

Hey, we all have to have a New Year's Resolution, right? Mine is to use more emoticons.

HAHA! EMO!!!!!!

#102936 by Deathcom7000
Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:08 am
The final time when Dev yells "Because it's musicaaaaaal" does it for me.

#105481 by alphaenemy
Sun Jan 15, 2006 12:25 am
Yep. The same as when I hear "Hooray for Dr. Young" AND "Never gonna die, we're always gonna live forever, ever...every day with my skies of grey, and my fields of green"

IN THE SAME FUCKING SONG!!!!!