All that I've known is gone, time to be moving on...
#105642 by FUBAR
Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:56 am
Recently I had a nice lay on my bed and listen to a cd whilst reading the lyrics session. I did this with Ocean Machine yesterday. :D

When I came to 'Bastard' I realised that the lyrics are kinda different from usual Dev lyrics almost like a narrative, primarily on the 'The Girl From The Blue City' section. anyone have any song interpretations or ideas of the songs concept.

#142955 by NecroLust
Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:46 am
No. :P

#142958 by FUBAR
Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:16 am
NecroLust wrote:No. :P

lol I guess not. Almost forgot about this thread...

#142977 by Deathcom7000
Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:53 pm
Sounds like childhood memories, but I'm probably wrong.

#142991 by Ampulex Compressa
Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:04 pm
I think I can personally relate to the song myself. I'm a BU student who doesn't drink (you read correctly). Lines like "lonely in the city tonight," "gray people stare at the static sky," and "always seems to need what I'm not." I often find myself alienated from everyone else in the entire city because I don't drink, especially when my friends go to a party. I don't particularly think that Devy is talking about not drinking while everyone else does, but there's definitely a sense of loneliness.
The second part, I dunno. Sounds like something good happens. Like something or someone comes to him, eliminating said loneliness. Or maybe making it so the loneliness just doesn't matter.
Huh... in short, loneliness. The city. Nighttime. That's all I can figure out.

#143027 by TallNerdGuy
Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:41 am
Not to sound completely crude or anything, but it sounds to me like someone is getting a prostitute or entering a brothel in the second half. It doesn't have to be Devin himself, but perhaps an outside party. It does say "boys are out on the corners," and "sex in the neon basements" is described as "red and smelly." It almost sounds pitiful, which is contrary to the uplifting sound of the music in the second half. It may even still be running with "separation" theme, meaning that Devin is on the outside of this neon basement stuff, and is watching as everyone else is doing naughty things.

#143055 by Ampulex Compressa
Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:48 pm
TallNerdGuy wrote:Not to sound completely crude or anything, but it sounds to me like someone is getting a prostitute or entering a brothel in the second half. It doesn't have to be Devin himself, but perhaps an outside party. It does say "boys are out on the corners," and "sex in the neon basements" is described as "red and smelly." It almost sounds pitiful, which is contrary to the uplifting sound of the music in the second half. It may even still be running with "separation" theme, meaning that Devin is on the outside of this neon basement stuff, and is watching as everyone else is doing naughty things.

That's a great point. Maybe it's got uplifting music because although it's not necessarily positive, it's something different. It's not dark, gray, or lonely. Even the fact that it "smells like piss" is better than the sheer loneliness of this city.

Re:

#203308 by AxxionJackson
Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:11 pm
TallNerdGuy wrote:Not to sound completely crude or anything, but it sounds to me like someone is getting a prostitute or entering a brothel in the second half. It doesn't have to be Devin himself, but perhaps an outside party. It does say "boys are out on the corners," and "sex in the neon basements" is described as "red and smelly." It almost sounds pitiful, which is contrary to the uplifting sound of the music in the second half. It may even still be running with "separation" theme, meaning that Devin is on the outside of this neon basement stuff, and is watching as everyone else is doing naughty things.

This is true, but then again, only dev knows
#209703 by static2
Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:38 am
I agree that it seems to be about the nasty or anonymous things that occur in the city from the perspective of someone not partaking. The first part seems more focused on the anonymous stuff ("grey people... ours is not to question why") while the second seems more focused on the nasty (red light district sort of thing). The chorus in "Not One of the Better Days" seems to say that the source of rebellion for the narrator is that his or her parents want them to assimilate (you know, to be 'normal'), but the narrator refuses to give in. Because the narrator seems to feel outside of all this behavior, he/she "feels old," but then the feeling leaves, "gone where feelings go," maybe because there's an unsaid realization that feeling mature doesn't necessitate feeling old and forgotten, and that feeling separate from all the weird shit in the city maybe isn't a huge thing.
#228380 by Knotrice
Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:21 pm
I think that Funeral, Bastard and the Death of Music are all linked, but Girl from Blue City isn't. I thought that the story of the three songs was that the main character's brother had died and he was mourning him (Funeral), and about the character's being lonely as a result of this (Bastard). He spirals into depression and eventually insanity (The Death of Music is what he hears).
You see, I think that those three songs are touching on a very deep level, and the mention of sex, for me, kills the mood.
#228497 by orbsonb
Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:57 pm
the lyrics to the second part of Bastard always reminded me of the party scenes in The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald...similar imagery with the neon lights and mention of lights across a harbor and such. i figure devin was either juxtaposing the images of sleazy people partying it up vs. the narrator's loneliness or he just wrote the words because they sounded good against the music.
#232295 by ico
Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:44 am
always reminds me of feeling alienated (maybe drunk or something) and homeless in a big city at night. The last lines are going somewhere to settle, maybe the freaks are better than the greys, maybe not somewhere to be on a normal day, but it will suffice for tonight. :zzzz:

First listen made me giggle though, thought what a beautiful song and looked to see what it was called and .... :shock: .... :lol:
#239720 by Nevaeh
Thu May 06, 2010 2:07 pm
I always thought the song had a very Noir feel to it, Sin City dare i say. Very introverted, reflective. Needless to say its a very powerful song.

If there was a music video, I could imagine dtp playing on a night-time brooklyn city rooftop, black esp explorer, dark clothed, wet puddles, neon lights, steam vents. Cut away's at people driving in the rain, prostitutes walking up and down the street. It has a real narrative.
#242425 by static2
Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:24 am
Nevaeh wrote:I always thought the song had a very Noir feel to it, Sin City dare i say. Very introverted, reflective. Needless to say its a very powerful song.

If there was a music video, I could imagine dtp playing on a night-time brooklyn city rooftop, black esp explorer, dark clothed, wet puddles, neon lights, steam vents. Cut away's at people driving in the rain, prostitutes walking up and down the street. It has a real narrative.

you'd want a majestic video for a majestic song ruined by shots of the band playing? that's way corny, dude. wayyy corny.