All that I've known is gone, time to be moving on...
#119386 by the_scoon
Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:46 am
With this album, there's something about it that makes me remember a lot of times when i was 7-12 years old. I have no idea why, but I'm thinking it has something to do with the ambience, because i get these small flashbacks in 3AM and the begining of Funeral, just to name a few. Lol, this thread seems pointless but I just wanted to see if anyone has some sort of memory relapse when they listen to this album... It strangely reminds me of all the times I used to play Snes for hours :lol:

#119432 by **A**
Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:08 pm
Remind me of when i was younger living in Corfu(Greek island),maybe its the refrence the ocean and the fact corfu is a island.

#119908 by rgx612a
Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:32 am
I get a very distinct vibe from Ocean Machine, but I can't really put it into words. It's like another sense or emotion you know? I get a strange unique vibe from Terria and Infinity too, the vibes are all unique. Those albums are otherworldly to me, so describing it is kinda difficult.

No flashbacks to childhood though. I do get flashbacks to the time when I first heard the album though. I get that with alot of great albums.
#213082 by Aniland
Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:32 am
I get an ethereal feel when I listen to Ocean Machine. It's like I'm listening to music literally from a higher plane of existence...from another world...and in this other dimension of sorts, human emotion is not felt, but merely remembered and thus projected for us to all feel on an insanely higher note.

Re:

#213169 by croomekid
Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:55 am
rgx612a wrote:I get a very distinct vibe from Ocean Machine, but I can't really put it into words. It's like another sense or emotion you know? I get a strange unique vibe from Terria and Infinity too, the vibes are all unique.

It's almost supernatural, so insane.
#213372 by Wander
Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:03 am
Ocean Machine is one of my favourite albums ever, and I think it has a lot to do with more than just what you can hear. It's about what it makes you feel like...

Somehow, when I think about Ocean Machine, the lyrics of 3AM come to mind

"Time will be on my side
No looking back this time
All that I've known is gone
Time to be moving on..."

I think it's hopeful. It makes me feel that as I am only just about to turn 18, I can still do whatever I wish to do. That I still have time.

And it's really important to me, cause as stupid as it may sound, I sometimes feel/felt like it's all already too late. That I have already lost my chances in some ways.

But I want to think that time will be on my side.

Has nothing to do with the thread or does it? :D
#213467 by croomekid
Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:59 pm
Eh it's relevant enough. :D
yeah, I'm like that too.
His music always relates to my life in the most deep ways.
although basically every peice of music could relate to any situation somehow, Devin's work always has that personal flair which reaches deeper than other music.
#237178 by Knotrice
Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:01 am
Because I am still (very much) in my childhood, I don't get any memories or flashbacks when listening to this... Instead, I see various images/colours when I listen to certain songs.

I tend to think of the overall colour as blue or grey.

Seventh Wave: A grey mountain covered with trees surrounded by water, and at various points in the song, a broken road leading away from that mountain into the sea (I also see the broken road during Room 429), and also a younger Dev with a large wave rising over him

Life: Light blue

Night: The front cover Midnight Club 2 albeit without any faces and more realistic

Hide Nowhere: Blue pinpricks

Sister: A church that varies between white and black on each listen, and then a younger looking Devin

3 A.M.: A dark bedroom

Voices in the Fan: Varies, it used to be a darkened version of a picture from my primary school (so yes, sort of a flashback), now I get a grey lake surrounded by trees with snowy ground and grey skies ("The grey times in the water before morning")

Greetings: An humanoid alien in a spaceship, and also that spaceship having landed on Earth. Very Ziltoid-esque.

Regulator: An image of a ball bearing hitting the ground

Funeral: This song has always and will always remind me of a burial ground I visited once

Bastard: This changes throughout the song; it appears to me as various images of the city that I get from Night (which I usually think of as being Japan). First off, I get a shot of the mountains near this city (which I also occasionally see during the beginning of Seventh Wave [the "Oh Earth" bit]), then the rooftops of the city, and grey people standing still and staring at the sky (which is also grey). Then, at Girl From Blue City, I see a dock, then a basement with a neon sign, a red light, and barrels within it.

The Death Of Music: A person in a straitjacket, blue-grey nothingness, as well as someone (the younger Dev, who actually doesn't resemble Devin at all) leaning over another in the science room from my primary school.

Things Beyond Things: Light above the church from Sister.

I didn't actually think of things associated with the songs individually, it's just the image/s I get in my head when I listen to the songs. I am a freak.
Last edited by Knotrice on Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#237183 by Kristopher
Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:08 am
Well i've had a few brews so getting too deep into this will drown me..... As ocean machine did the day i picked it up.

I recall buying the album when brand new.. i had to order it and it finally arrived at my store... before going home i sat in HJ's (burger King) and tore off the plastic and flicked through the booklet.

It smelled new... I saw the ocean and images in my mind of some sort of robotic octopuss from ancient parts of the ocean.... From where i Sat i could actually see the ocean... a warm fuzzy feeling went through my body upon some moment of clarity... this album is 'meant to be'

Everytime i listen to the album i remember sitting in H'J's looking at this new album of which id only heard a few snippets b4....

I filled my burger with the fries in order to eat my meal faster.. so I could get home and listen to what became my favourite album of all time....

... this album was so invoking that one could describe emotions/flashbacks... etc forever.... i will stop now.. It was and still is a masterpiece.