All that I've known is gone, time to be moving on...
#123473 by bobbyjointritual
Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:52 pm
Does anyone have any idea what this song really means?

My personal interpretation: It's about a mental disorder (probably bipolar or depression) that destroys his life, where the "girl" symbolizes his life and the worm/wound inside him is the mental disorder

At the beginning everything seems beautiful, then he introduces the "worm" in the second verse and urges you not to try to understand it (dont try to get inside), and the girl becomes sick and he can't do anything about "so now i sit and watch the rain." In the last verse it takes control of him but he tries to manage it (now i try to get inside)

I'm probably completely off though. Help?

#123476 by a_random_person
Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:06 am
The title is insane. Take anything (things) and think beyond em....you could go on forever. I have my own interpretation of this song and it's far from the actual lyrics but still in sync with em in their own weird ways.

#123505 by sj_2150
Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:53 am
well you know those things you have? whats beyond them?

i got nothin'...
#125802 by schenobi
Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:24 am
bobbyjointritual wrote:Does anyone have any idea what this song really means?

My personal interpretation: It's about a mental disorder (probably bipolar or depression) that destroys his life, where the "girl" symbolizes his life and the worm/wound inside him is the mental disorder

At the beginning everything seems beautiful, then he introduces the "worm" in the second verse and urges you not to try to understand it (dont try to get inside), and the girl becomes sick and he can't do anything about "so now i sit and watch the rain." In the last verse it takes control of him but he tries to manage it (now i try to get inside)

I'm probably completely off though. Help?

It's a good topic.

When I listen to this song I imagine that Devin is remembering his childhood in the same way that I remember mine. At the age of thirteen I was stuck in a terrible Catholic school in middle England. During double french class I would spend hours staring out the windows, imagining a better life.

This is what I understand "a world that wasn't small" to mean: daydreams of a happier place. I would construct a romantic place for myself, and more often than not I would set my girl there, "under trees and earth".
Basically the verse refers to a utopian delusion - a perfect place for the dreamer, a place where fear doesn't exist and love is everything. This kind of mental escapism is a powerful traumatic block. It is also damaging.
"As the sun sets in my eyes, I know" Devin knows it is just a daydream, and that he must return to reality. But he does so reluctantly.

"I remember this smell from my dreams except it was sweeter then."
This is the problem. Romantic delusions lead to disillusion when you finally achieve something close to them. Things aren't the way they ought to be, things aren't as beautiful. You aren't sure of yourself. The setting is not a beautiful, warm mountainside.
I think that what Devin considers to be the "worm" or "the oldest wound" is subconscious regret for something he never had. The way he expresses this in the song was heartbreaking for me: thinking, perhaps wrongly, that I knew exactly what he meant.
"Don't try to get inside, these things inside are just things" sums up the song with a simple realisation of the illness, and a warning to those who might attempt to fix it. After all, it is a mental illness.

It could also relate to my continued dalliance with cannabis, which has popped me neatly out of the shell school put me in. I feel both hate and love for the world, and that is something a doctor told me was a result of my "drug use". I disagree. I think that my drug use opened my eyes, exposing far deeper problems created by a broken educational system. If I hadn't woken up to the world around me, I would probably be a robot by now. I mention weed because Devy is or was known to toke it up regularly, and I know he feels a lot of pain. Or, he did.

If I met Devin I might ask him about all this. I might not; after all, he's helped me enough by simply recording such deep music. I don't know.
So many words, which one do you say?
#125850 by bobbyjointritual
Sat Jul 08, 2006 4:54 pm
Wow, great thinking there.

The beauty of this song is that it could mean almost anything. But now I'm leaning towards your view (the daydreaming one). Makes alot of sense

#125853 by thefillersweetcityjesus
Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:14 pm
what a fucking magnificent song. devin you fucking genious, never stop creating art.

#125859 by junkmonkey
Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:20 am
truely a beautiful song

#125860 by Tracy
Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:48 am
I've asked about that song in the past and Devin's only reply is "It's ugly, really ugly." Would never expand on that.

#126021 by Death'o'Musak
Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:41 pm
Hmm, thats interesting... Ugly must be code for something.. :P

..but an awesome song none-the-less :D

#127561 by SouldrivenDevil
Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:24 pm
Tracy wrote:I've asked about that song in the past and Devin's only reply is "It's ugly, really ugly." Would never expand on that.

So much beauty on the outside of the ugliness

#127562 by SouldrivenDevil
Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:25 pm
I never really put thought into the meaning,

I just always sing it to girls and tell them that they are the 'thing' beyond all things.

yes I am a simp :)

#127566 by bobbyjointritual
Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:49 pm
SouldrivenDevil wrote:]
I just always sing it to girls and tell them that they are the 'thing' beyond all things.

Whoa I gotta try that!

#127749 by SouldrivenDevil
Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:07 am
bobbyjointritual wrote:

Whoa I gotta try that!

Try it out, girls love shit like that

#127767 by sj_2150
Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:52 am
SouldrivenDevil wrote:
bobbyjointritual wrote:

Whoa I gotta try that!

Try it out, girls love shit like that

suckers :lol:

i wouldnt be able to say it. its too cheesy to say that sorta stuff to me

#127781 by Biert
Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:37 am
I'd be tempted to try and explain the meaning, and say what Tracy said that Devin said... Something about ugly?
It worked on Lars and SJ, but I doubt if any girls would appreciate it :P