All that I've known is gone, time to be moving on...
#126293 by ConfusedGenius87
Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:54 pm
I'll post my first impressions later.

Note: I just went to the end of Things beyond things to see what all the fuss is about with the scream....yeah wtf Dev. If I forgot that was there (and I will), it'll startle me for sure.

#126302 by :)
Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:10 pm
Have fun :D

I'm not going to tell you to expect anything in particular, so that you can make your own decision about each track.

#126309 by ConfusedGenius87
Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:06 pm
Just got done listening to it. Initial impressions are they it reminds me of AE in that it's more single songs than a piece and it's mostly riff based and kinda thrashy. At the moment i'd probably say that I think AE is far better but that will surely change when I listen more. So yea now OM is the worst of the Dev albums i've heard (OM, AE, T, S). It's still great though and I have to say that I like when albums have tracks that act like a bridge between actual songs, like "sister" and "3 AM" are. I love "Bastard" and yes fuck you dev for that scream at the end of the album.

#126311 by Josiah Tobin
Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:38 pm
Thrashy? What album are you listening to? :P

#126359 by JuZ
Sat Jul 15, 2006 5:07 pm
Give it about 10,000 more listens. :)

#126364 by psychotic
Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:02 pm
I don't really see it as thrashy, but I do agree with you that it is the least amazing of Devin's stuff, which is just our opinion. However, I'm still pretty blown away by it. Getting it at the same time as Terria probably played a role in where it stands with me though.

#126366 by Yanko
Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:01 pm
if you consider the age he wrote OM, you should reduce A LOT any level of trashyness you might think there is there :D

#126369 by JuZ
Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:37 pm
Trashy? Thrashy?

Hehe, I don't think either really applies but, as psychotic says, it's all about opinion.

#126372 by Mayday
Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:25 pm
well I think you could say that Seventh wave is pretty thrashy, it might have left an impression on him as its the first track.

dude. I didn't really like OM at first (except for the death of music, which is my favourite track ever and night...which is just cool), but after well...maybe 200-300 listens now, it's become my favourite album ever. You just need to listen to it a LOT to get inside. good luck, it's worth it ;)

#126382 by JuZ
Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:10 am
Mayday wrote:well I think you could say that Seventh wave is pretty thrashy, it might have left an impression on him as its the first track.

dude. I didn't really like OM at first (except for the death of music, which is my favourite track ever and night...which is just cool), but after well...maybe 200-300 listens now, it's become my favourite album ever. You just need to listen to it a LOT to get inside. good luck, it's worth it ;)

It's also my favourite album but wasn't my fave at first so I can only agree... keep listening to it.

And then listen to it again.

And again.

#126389 by JayjayAbnormal
Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:45 am
OM is one of my favourite Devy CD's. Hide Nowhere is my favourite song, the guitar riff is simple but it kicks ass, especially the end part where it gets stronger.

That scream at the end is pretty fucked. How the hell could you do that? I'd have to breathe in tons of Nitrous Oxide or something.

#126397 by ConfusedGenius87
Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:27 am
Yeah I'm liking it a lot more now. The thing with dev's music is that the first listen doesn't count almost. It's just so u can hear what's there. Then the 2nd listen is where you start to really judge it. I listened to the first 5 songs on the way to work yesterday. I'm really into it. Now i'm listenin to it again (Seventh wave is playing as I type this). I really like it but it does remind me of AE, and I think "Depth Charge" is probably a better song musically. I love the proggy drums. I think OM should be the worst of the ones i've heard cause it's the earliest. Artists should grow, and Dev has. I still think OM is a great album. Oh and just to say this: i'm at the part in Seventh wave where he's overdubbing the "AHHHHHH" parts (about 1:40 left). I love when he does that.

Oh and isn't "Life" a catchy motherfucker? A clear example of a single.

#126410 by Death'o'Musak
Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:32 pm
Yeah, Life definatly is a catchy mo fo.. what did you think of The Death Of Music on OM? not too suttle for ya I hope? hehe XD

OM definatly has to be one of my favourite of Devy's albums..

#126413 by ConfusedGenius87
Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:40 pm
Eh I gotta hear it more before I judge it. I still love "Bastard" though.