All that I've known is gone, time to be moving on...
#137036 by Mr. Jack
Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:27 pm
Amazing.

I had a Devin Townsend "click" moment over the last few days.

Ocean Machine, Terria, and Physicist all just started making so much sense in my mind.

I can't believe that at one point, I shunned Ocean Machine because it was Devin's first. There's so much more to this album. It's like optimistic pop metal.

The albums are starting to create vivid images in my head. No other band has accomplished this. It's not just his lyrics that paint the picture, the massive soundscape seems to carry some sort of visual signal to my brain.

"Planet Rain" is one song that has completely blown me away.

And in my opinion, Devin's solo works create images so much better than Strapping Young Lad. I love Strapping, but I always think of something chaotic whilst listening. Perhaps it's easier to convey the images with (mostly) more peaceful topics.

I apologize if this sounds very fanboyish, but I just had to let it out.

I think I'll be delving into the majesty of Infinity soon..and maybe going back to Terria and Physicist, two of my new favorite albums.

#137038 by Atari
Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:34 am
Infinity took me the longest to "click" in that way.......enjoy.

#137052 by static2
Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:46 am
I don't know if "Bastard" is such 'optimistic pop metal,' but it's a generally fitting term for Physicist at least (although, again, a song like "Death" isn't really optimistic!).

#137075 by Deathcom7000
Sun Dec 31, 2006 11:59 am
I dont think too many of Dev's albums are very optimistic. Synchestra is. Accelerated Evolution is... close. But still leaves you a little cold.

#137078 by superhydroyeast
Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:25 pm
I'd say dev's albums sum up life as a whole. the good bits and the bad bits. the difference is that they DO include the good bits, whereas syl just rant on about all the crap in life.

#137093 by danceswithchickens
Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:10 pm
I think "Biomech" is the best album that I own...

#137134 by JuZ
Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:30 am
danceswithchickens wrote:I think "Biomech" is the best album that I own...

It's also the best album that I own. What a coincidence!

#137149 by the_scoon
Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:24 am
100% agreed. The pictures in my mind I get from Devin's work, nothing comes as close. I've always wanted to paint the pictures in my head. Planet Rain is awesome hey. You listen to the song, and the EXACT image you get in your mind is this world where it never stops raining. Incredible.

#139589 by Kung_Fu_Jesus
Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:07 pm
Just got Biomech a couple of days ago, must've listened to it 25 times already.

First listen was like trying to assemble a jigsaw puzzle when half the pieces have fallen into a can of black paint that just happens to be inexplicably open and sitting nearby the pieces, or something like that. :S
Then as I listened to it again and again, the paint gradually came off, the pieces were easier to fit and they came together to form a picture that suddenly made a whole lot of sense. Unlike me and my lame description here...

#139612 by Chris
Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:27 am
Kung_Fu_Jesus wrote:Then as I listened to it again and again, the paint gradually came off, the pieces were easier to fit and they came together to form a picture that suddenly made a whole lot of sense. Unlike me and my lame description here...

What you're describing is this magic moment (or those magic momentS) of finally getting it, and it doesn't sound lame at all. Devin's music contains so many elements that it takes some time to fully grab it, but after a while most of his stuff begins to sound as if there was no other way of doing it, as if it just had to sound like that. Awesomeness. Oh, and welcome to the board!

Noodles wrote:I find all of Devin's albums are optimistic in that the music itself isn't happy, but when they finish I feel better about life than when I started them.

No comment here, ehm... It sounded really good, so I felt like quoting it :P

#139697 by Deathcom7000
Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:39 pm
JuZ wrote:
danceswithchickens wrote:I think "Biomech" is the best album that I own...

It's also the best album that I own. What a coincidence!

Not really, considering that it's the best album in the world!

#139725 by Biert
Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:26 am
You're all forgetting Opeth's Still Life!! :twisted: (among others) :P

#139730 by Turge
Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:01 am
Biert wrote:You're all forgetting Opeth's Still Life!! :twisted: (among others) :P

Oooh, good one :D

#139731 by sj_2150
Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:01 am
Biert wrote:You're all forgetting Opeth's Still Life!! :twisted: (among others) :P

*snores loudly*