All that I've known is gone, time to be moving on...
#179677 by Matt Nevens
Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:17 am
Recently i have been lending what i consider my all time top 10 rock/metal albums to a guy i work with and after much deliberating about the top 4 decided Ocean Machine was my fave album ever, City was number 2, Dreamtheaters Metropolis was 3 and A Gentelmens Hurricane by Minds Eye was 4. I gave him City on xmas eve and im taking OM into work this evening.

I wish i could go back to 1999 and hear it for the first time again...
#257371 by mrbean667
Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:50 pm
OM holds a special place in my heart. It's one of those pieces of music which evokes such beauty, and is able to grow in meaning with every listen.
#263667 by Limule
Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:35 am
I think Ocean Machine fits very well its name. Strong, deep and powerful as the ocean.
Each time I listen to Seventh Wave, I have vision of the final scene of the movie A.I., when the Earth is covered by the ocean.
Definitively timeless!
#263713 by ihsahn
Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:18 pm
This is the first album of DT solo carrier I listened to.
I didn't like it and almost didn't push me to listen the other albums (I took two years to fix that and now I'm here !)

For now, I don't know what to feel when I'm listening this one. I'm kind of young fan so maybe I just don't understand it.
Not that I don't like it, I'm not talking about like/dislike. Just saying that I don't get the emotion, the feeling of this album.

But Seventh Wave is still awesome.
#263715 by Lolliklauer
Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:27 pm
ihsahn wrote:This is the first album of DT solo carrier I listened to.
I didn't like it and almost didn't push me to listen the other albums (I took two years to fix that and now I'm here !)

For now, I don't know what to feel when I'm listening this one. I'm kind of young fan so maybe I just don't understand it.
Not that I don't like it, I'm not talking about like/dislike. Just saying that I don't get the emotion, the feeling of this album.

Maybe try to listen to "Bastard" alone, do nothing else, use good headphones or a good stereo at high but comfortable volume, lay back. That did it for me.
#263721 by Falk
Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:52 pm
To me, OM sounds like uh... "humble metal". When listening to this album I get a feeling of "ok, I'm just a dude in a big world full of things I don't understand and spectacular natural events, but it's ok... I guess", with lot of pictures coming with the music, of waves crushing on the shore, beautiful sunset, storms, big cities at night (Japan, Vancouver), more mysterious places (kinda like the aquatic level in Sonic the hedgehog), Escher waterfall, foggy days, sunny days, rainy days, taking a break to look around, sort of being there but not being noticed by people going by, mindfields, etc...
#263910 by Helge-Uwe
Mon May 02, 2011 7:13 am
Lolliklauer wrote:
ihsahn wrote:This is the first album of DT solo carrier I listened to.

Maybe try to listen to "Bastard" alone, do nothing else, use good headphones or a good stereo at high but comfortable volume, lay back. That did it for me.

I had to listen to it about 20 times in a (admittably long) timespan of 5 years or so. but since a few months I truly love it, it is an overwhelming masterpiece. it just didn't hook me from beginning at all.
#271186 by jackyl88
Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:09 pm
a great line in the beginning: ''i wish i could go back to 1999 and hear it for the first time again...'' the first time is always the best. and the fact that ''OM'' strikes from the the very first listening is the proof that the album is one of the greatest things in our universe)))
#273098 by Griff
Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:15 pm
Biomech is my second favourite of all time, only surpassed by Emperor's Anthems To The Welkin at Dusk.
#293110 by tboatbprod
Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:38 pm
Ocean Machines is such an intensly personal album for me, and has been for 13+ years now. For a few years I would listen to the album nightly at work starting it at about 2:35 in the morning so that 3am hit at 3am. Every single note of OM was the epitome of musical perfection, heavy yet beautiful. It was the album that I wanted to make because no one had made it until Dev. Ironically, I had been into Devin since the Vai days, and starting with the Heavy as a Really Heavy Thing album, I knew that dude was one of a kind. I never could have known how much his music could have effected my life, but Ocean Machines did it. So yeah OM is #1 followed by Cynic's Focus, then Ki, then FNM King for a day and finally City.
by the way the other albums mentioned her like Angel Dust and Anthems have also been long time favorites, just proves Devy fans have great taste in music... wOOt

Aaron
DIS/Serenity in Regress