All that I've known is gone, time to be moving on...
#183059 by flood_of_rain
Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:09 pm
its a strangely nice day today. its overcast with light rain. i fired up my copy of ocean machine and sat here, listening to it with my cup of tea while enjoying the rain.
its a very peaceful feeling, i must say. its strange, but the weather seems to heighten my experience with this album today. am i crazy or has anyone else noticed this before? :coffee:
#183105 by BlueRaja
Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:18 pm
flood_of_rain wrote:its a strangely nice day today. its overcast with light rain. i fired up my copy of ocean machine and sat here, listening to it with my cup of tea while enjoying the rain.
its a very peaceful feeling, i must say. its strange, but the weather seems to heighten my experience with this album today. am i crazy or has anyone else noticed this before? :coffee:

Absolutely not. I find both Ocean Machine and Terria to be ...environmentally enhancing. 8)
Kind of like listening to Opeth on a cold wintry day. It just works.
#183112 by Persuader
Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:49 am
It's funny how surroundings can change the listening experience. Yesturday was a beautiful sunny winter day which I spent driving up to my dad's place. I had Accelerated evolution on and it sounded so different from last time I heard it (like two years ago). The snow clad forest seemed like the perfect "video" to this masterpiece.

:zen:
#183204 by flood_of_rain
Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:15 am
im glad to hear you guys share some of your stories :)

It is quite strange how a certain album can really enhance a moment in time with the right weather.
the high point was listening to funeral while watching the rain pour outside the window.
I only wish i could somehow create music that would enhance a certain time like that. i got a bit more practice to go, there :P
#184120 by Marijn
Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:43 pm
I know what you are feeling and it is good! I once listened to the entire album Synchestra, while walking through a forest (with my dog) that reminded me of the front cover of the album. Actually I planned that. Maybe I am a fool, but It felt very special! The whole area suited the feeling of the album perfectly! And the feeling of the album suited the area. 1 + 1 = 2. I think it is a situation similar to Ocean Machine in combination with rain. Imagine listening to ZTO while being on a space trip!

I think Devin kicks ass in creating feelings within his music. He is, and always will be, the God of music...
#184456 by FFLinchpin
Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:51 pm
Bastard reminds me of an early evening summertime thunderstorm. i like to listen to Greetings while looking at pictures of deep space. Certian albums are different seasons for me. It may sound dumb, but if an album reminds me of summer, i dont like to listen to it in cold weather. Cause it will almost ruin the memory, mood and feeling of the songs

Maybe i do have just have an overactive imagination :lol:
#184596 by flood_of_rain
Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:41 pm
FFLinchpin wrote:Bastard reminds me of an early evening summertime thunderstorm. i like to listen to Greetings while looking at pictures of deep space. Certian albums are different seasons for me. It may sound dumb, but if an album reminds me of summer, i dont like to listen to it in cold weather. Cause it will almost ruin the memory, mood and feeling of the songs

it does make sense. i know that when i have made songs before, they were to capture a feeling or element and in many cases, listeners will give me feedback on how a track made them feel and it would match my intended mood or feeling.

to me, music gives of a visualization of landscapes in my head. even binaural beats can cause me to visualize things :shock:
#184811 by Centurion
Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:35 am
I only listen to OM during the summer. It`s one of the few albums I like that are that way. It is just as good the rest of the year, but It feels "wrong" if I play it in the winter. The No.1 summers album.

I have the same thing about Enslaved - Below the Lights. Some people find that strange. "Black metal" in the summer? WTF.
#184881 by Devy, spelled Devy!
Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:45 pm
FFLinchpin wrote:Bastard reminds me of an early evening summertime thunderstorm. i like to listen to Greetings while looking at pictures of deep space. Certian albums are different seasons for me. It may sound dumb, but if an album reminds me of summer, i dont like to listen to it in cold weather. Cause it will almost ruin the memory, mood and feeling of the songs

I know what you mean!! I find myself doing the same thing. Unfortunately, I categorize most of my music library as "summer music" so that kind of blows when it's winter. Ocean Machine definitely reminds me of gardening and cleaning the house on warm summer mornings, that's when I first really listened to it from start to finish.

And it makes sense that once you have a good association with a certain album already laid down, you don't want to over-write it with anything less. At least, that's how I think of it.
#184891 by FFLinchpin
Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:28 am
Hey wow, its great to hear people have the same experiences. i could have sworn i was the only person like that :lol: . Yes Ocean Machine is my summer album. i know, most of my music is summer time music too, but obviously i still listen to it year round. The memories and feeling unfortunately get somewhat diluted when i do, so i just listen to it before i go to bed on my ipod and just close my eyes and let the music take me back.
#184994 by the-fluke
Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:17 pm
I have the same feelings as alot of people here. Man of Devins albums seem to go better with different kinds of weather, but I also seem to get in the mood for certain albums at random times, like literally just now reading this thread made me want to listen to Ocean Machine from start to finish. (Currently up to 'On my way pass it on!') But there are certain songs and albums by alot of artists that I associate with certain times of the year. For example, whenever I listen to Rhapsody's Dawn of Victory album I get into a very summery mood. There are loads of other songs that I consider summery or wintery or 'springy', and I'm not sure whether it's due to when I listened to that music first or whether there were certain things going on when I listened to it, but different music puts me into different seasonal moods.

I know it may be a little off topic but I just thought I'd ask this. Are there any particular situations or times that make you want to listen to certain Devy albums? Just curious.
#185039 by FFLinchpin
Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:43 pm
the-fluke wrote:
I know it may be a little off topic but I just thought I'd ask this. Are there any particular situations or times that make you want to listen to certain Devy albums? Just curious.

Actually yes, i went through a deep state of depression (it comes and goes), and i listened to Nobody's Here alot cause i just felt like i couldnt connect with anyone.

Also, when i was at my parents house in the country, i lied on the ground looking up at the starry sky and listened to Greetings, Regulator, Hide Nowhere (Christeen gives me the sensation of falling towards the sun) and various other songs that give me the feeling of ultimate peace and solitude of space. May sound strange, but music is very emotional for me, and stimulates my imagination.
#185602 by BlueRaja
Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:05 pm
It's been raining here for 3 days straight. This morning I just had to listen to OM on my iPod/JBL On Stage contraption while getting ready for work. :coffee: