All that I've known is gone, time to be moving on...
#185672 by Dan G
Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:55 am
Ocean Machine is an album I have to listen to all year round, but it definitely has great summer vibes to me. The fact it sounds like the sea combined with going on holiday etc etc. Such a calming album.

Listen to Katatonia's Great Cold Distance during the winter (what a great album)
#185684 by Kivenkantaja
Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:48 am
Ocean Machine - rainy days, night, time of the year doesn't matter, giant yes for a rainy night
Infinity - winter, night and space
Physicist - autumn, evening or night
Terria - spring and summer, when the sun is rising and shines directly through your window and everythings is golden, nature, grass between your toes
Accelerated evolution - sunshine and snow, autumn and rain, fog, deadhead at night in the winter
Synchestra - summer, daytime
#188952 by SouvlakiSlowdive
Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:16 am
This reminds me...I was listening to... I can't remember. It was either OM or Infinity (I'll have to go back and verify which one), and I heard one song where, at the end of it, it had the beginning bassoon part from Stravinsky 's The Rite of Spring. It totally caught me off guard too..

If it was on OM, it was either 3 A.M. or Voices in the Fan
But if it was on Infinity, then it was at the end of Soul Driven Cadillac...

I seriously can't remember because I didn't write it down, but it was one of those three songs, that at least I am sure of..

Has anyone else heard this?
#198580 by islandsinthesky
Wed May 20, 2009 1:00 am
Man, I was just driving down the highway at 100 MPH listening to "Night"... Holy shit.
#198815 by daneulephus
Thu May 21, 2009 8:24 am
Ocean Machine is hard for me to listen cuz I have such STRONG emotions surrounding it. I was madly in love with someone that didn't want me back when I first heard it.....so yea, you get the idea lol. Still one of my faves of course.....but have to be in the right mood.
#198865 by Abydost
Thu May 21, 2009 3:23 pm
I was listening to Ocean Machine on the bus today, it been raining all day, and very few people outside today as it's a religious holiday yo. Was amazing. And managed to squeeze in all of Ki on the way back home minus Winter and Demon league.
#213075 by Aniland
Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:01 am
Another good enviornmental matchup: Watershed by Opeth during a brutal thunderstorm. Be seated near a window and watch as the lightning clashes with Mikael's roars.

Wow, that made me really want a Townsend / Akerfeldt crossover.
#219000 by Wander
Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:58 am
Aniland wrote:Another good enviornmental matchup: Watershed by Opeth during a brutal thunderstorm. Be seated near a window and watch as the lightning clashes with Mikael's roars.

100% agree with this post.
#219096 by Fjar
Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:52 am
I'm glad I'm not the only one who prefers certain music at certain times of year/in certain weather (actually, it seems I'm far from being the only one). Ocean Machine works for me at about 4pm on an autumnal afternoon. And Ki works best in the middle of the night, as two examples.
#225331 by grindbastard
Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:08 am
I picked up Ocean Machine about eight years ago during a stage when I had very few relationships, I was broke as hell, and spent a LOT of time alone. I connected with the emotion of this album immediately and we spent a lot of time together. Those were dark days, and now when I listen to it I get drawn back to that time. A lot of Devin's music has really helped "get me through", but this one is still my favorite.
#234523 by Pik_Nick'92
Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:26 am
Aniland wrote:Another good enviornmental matchup: Watershed by Opeth during a brutal thunderstorm. Be seated near a window and watch as the lightning clashes with Mikael's roars.

That is so true. I've got to remember to do that next time a storm comes. Coil would be the calm before the storm before all the crazy shit happens.

Of course, this would go to a lot of dev stuff too. SYL of course and a few dev tracks.

To me, Hyperdrive seems to be the closest song to representing a soothing spaceship cruise through the wonderful galaxy. I'm not really one for science and such, but space is really a fascinating topic, there are so many things we have yet to learn about the world around us.

As Vai put it, "It is extraordinary arrogant to believe that we're the only living or intelligent creatures in the universe."