All that I've known is gone, time to be moving on...
#191214 by thylacine666
Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:57 am
Sorry folks, I REALLY hope this hasn't been done to death, but I did a forum search, and Googled, and amongst all the 'top 5 songs' and 'lyrics from...' etc, I couldn't see one that particularly deals with this.

I'm pretty new to Dev - after having eventually heard (and loved) 2 SYL songs, and an Ocean machine track over the years, I finally got around to looking further. A mate (who's a big fan) sent me the entire back catalogue on DVD with videos etc (don't worry, I've bought every single album now, no bull, I'm a junkie now haha - SYL, DT, DTB, Ziltoid etc... I always buy if I like stuff, no matter how I first come to hear it)...

Anyway, Ocean Machine is so far my favourite, and I think VitF is my favourite track - I just find it almost supernatural... Beautiful, powerful, melancholic, rhythmic, melodic awesomeness.

... and loving a song like that always makes me want to know what it means.

I know some artists leave meaning up to their fans' interpretation (means something different to each person), but I'm just wondering if it's ever really been stated, by Dev obviously, or just discussed amongst fans.

To me it seems like a suicide track, a 'Goodbye', wishing everyone to not mourn, yet also raging against those calling the act weak... the mystery of the 'voices in the fan' is (also, to me) the idea of hearing voices in the sound of a fan, and in death becoming one with the voices, and one OF them... and (in my Googling) that seems to be something many hear (I'm gonna have to listen harder ha!).

Maybe that's how EVERYONE interprets the song, I dunno, just wondering what you all think, if the same or different, or if you can point me in the direction of a discussion if it HAS been done before (and again, sorry! if it has...).

#191221 by swervedriver
Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:05 am
While I don't know of any discussion about this on here (I'm still new), I usually go to songmeanings.net to find a decent discussion on a song's meaning. For less popular artists and less popular songs there's not always input though. Anyway, someone there seems to agree with you that it's about suicide.
#191279 by Liampie
Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:42 pm
I agree on the theme being suicide. The song is one of my favourites btw, and the first Dev-song I ever heard!
#191289 by thylacine666
Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:54 pm
Cool, thanks! Yeah I've often seen discussions on SongMeanings, and thought of it but kinda assumed it wouldn't be there, dunno why.

It's definitely one of my favourites at the moment, that's for sure :-)
#191363 by swervedriver
Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:48 am
Not for the wrong reasons I hope?
#210400 by shredi knight
Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:16 am
I believe the title of the song refers to the technique of using a fan as a white noise generator when recording EVPs (Electronic Voice Phenomenon - Disembodied voices caught on electronic recording media. You know, like on "Ghost Hunters" :D). I remember on the special features of the DVD for the Michael Keaton ghost movie "White Noise", it had a demonstration on how to make your own EVPs, and one of the methods shown was placing an audio recorder near the running blade of a portable fan.

I tried this myself, but all I heard on the recording was "SHHHHHHHHHHHHH". :lol:

So yeah, I always thought this song had to do with death or suicide, and crossing over.
#214330 by biomech1
Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:09 am
I dont know what its about but it is probably one of my fav songs of all time, if not the fav.

I truly love it, it is timeless...
It will be played at my funeral...(which wont be for a long time i hope)
#227642 by Knotrice
Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:30 pm
biomech1 wrote:I dont know what its about but it is probably one of my fav songs of all time, if not the fav.

I truly love it, it is timeless...
It will be played at my funeral...(which wont be for a long time i hope)

I was listening to OM while reading this, and as I read the word funeral, Funeral came on. XD