All that I've known is gone, time to be moving on...
#232904 by eyedol47
Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:34 am
I was going through an old drawer last night and came across an e-mail I sent to Tracy over 10 years ago concerning Ocean Machine.

Anyway, some of you guys might find this informative:

Q. Just out of curiosity, roughly how many audio tracks did a typical song off of Ocean Machine contain. Out of these, how many were used for vocals? guitar? bass? synth?

A. There were 20 tracks of drums, 6 of guitar, 2 of bass, 4 lead vocal, about 100 background vocals, about 14 tracks of keyboards, and 6 tracks of samples per song.
#232916 by swervedriver
Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:18 am
I think you should read that as twenty microphones used for the drums: bassdrum, snare-top, snare-bottom, toms, hi-hat, cymbal overheads, ambient mics, etc. That's still a lot though; we used 8 mics to record a basic drumkit with 3 toms and 2 crash cymbals, a ride cymbal and a splash cymbal. Used 2 overheads for the cymbals and one mic for each other piece of kit. I could imagine using another mic for the snare-bottom, an extra overhead and maybe a few ambient mics, but that would still only total 12/13 mics... Was the drumkit for OM really huge or was it all mic-ed up to hell? :D
#236659 by Knotrice
Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:08 am
Damn, I would love to have the OM multitracks (although chances are they'll never see the light of day/are gone).
#237158 by mrbean667
Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:15 pm
Holy shit Dev, PLEASE release producer's editions of the albums....