20%
20%
15%
15%
6%
6%
#167021 by Retribution
Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:47 am
Alien is also my favorite when it comes to production. After that one I would choose Infinity so I voted for that one.
But to be honest, I like all of them and don't really prefer one over the other actually. They're all good, just serve different purposes. I for example like the sound on Physicist also but I assume most dislike it.
#184403 by sheps999
Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:07 am
I'd have to go with Infinity. I just love the way it sounds so dense and layered, but yet light and airy.
#191145 by daneulephus
Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:42 am
Infinity crushes all.....by far, if we are talking solo productions.

I think it is only fair to seperate SYL from his solo output. City has an indescribable energy and loudness....I still have never heard a record sound THAT angry and dense at the same time. Plus, it has an analog punch. I don't feel the anger the same way on Alien.....but I do feel the chaos.

Terria.....I dunno. Way too much high end, esp. in the vox and kick drum. I used to think this was the way to get a "crisp" production, turning the 18k all the way up....but not so. and I know he wanted an organic guitar sound, but I think it is a little TOO twangy. Don't get me wrong, I used to worship this production and still think it is great, but now that I know more about production, it grates on my ears a bit.

Infinity still takes the cake man. Maybe it is just my associations with it i.e.- the memories....the color white, Devin's stories about it. I have just never heard anything that dense and clear, EVER. Would "fresh" be a good adjective? Like you just took a really long shower after shoveling dirt all day. :D

Ok, thats my two cents.....
#239887 by mrbean667
Mon May 10, 2010 3:25 pm
Alien is amazing in terms of just everything. It is glorious and massive, and the production makes that shine.

Infinity and Terria both rule for production, Infinity for its majesty (Truth) and Terria for its poignancy (every song).
Terria has the ability to make the normal glorious, and the glorious out of this fucking world.
#242809 by orbsonb
Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:52 pm
i love the sound on pretty much every album he's produced but I think Terria and Ki impress me the most. Ki was such a step in the opposite direction for him production-wise and i think it worked perfectly in that Ki ialternates between being a really intense and beautiful, quiet album with just the right amount of grit and ambience.

Terria, to me, is so massive and beautiful that it's hard to even describe. It sounds like you're flying over the plains of Canada in the spring when the snow is melting or something, haha. every instrument is so clear in the mix and the whole album has such an organic tone to it, it feels so natural and beautiful. The ambience is thick but it never gets annoying. I love it. my only complaint is gene's bass drum is a bit too bright and loud in the mix.

Honorable mention goes to Ocean Machine just because of how thick the guitar tone is. It's so heavy.
#247018 by hugomitson
Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:35 pm
Personally, my favorite Devin album for the production is Accelerated Evolution, purely because the whole album sounds extremely heavy, but the vocals are kept so clear throughout. I think that is the reason that it is my overall favorite Devin album.
#248451 by Greg Reason
Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:59 am
Wow this is an old thread!

Looking back, Alien still seems like the most comprehensive, epic-ass production he's ever pulled off. Infinity is always going to be my favourite but Alien seems even more complicated and hi-fi than that even. But I'm really liking where Dev's production is nowadays; it's still very complex and textural but it always works with the song rather than overpowering it.
#251994 by Persuader
Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:39 am
daneulephus wrote:City has an indescribable energy and loudness....I still have never heard a record sound THAT angry and dense at the same time. Plus, it has an analog punch. I don't feel the anger the same way on Alien.....but I do feel the chaos.

+1

Alien is amazing but it's more sterile in my ears. And the snare suck. :)
It's really hard to pick a winner from the discography, they all sound "right" in their own way.
#252013 by Biert
Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:02 am
MikeC26 wrote:Bar none, Dev's best sounding work to date is Addicted.

Actually on more than one song on Addicted I hear a terrible humming/buzzing sound that I can't imagine is supposed to be there. Not just on my CD or sound system either.