Archived - Discussion about records and bands produced by Devin

#144944 by tboatbprod
Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:59 pm
Tell me about it... there's something to be said about someone who doesn't understand that effects are to make something cool at a point in time, not to over-saturate when it's not needed. I was recording a band, and the worst mistake I made was letting the lead singer sit in with me at the time of the mix. 10,000 ideas and suggestions that he "insisted" on. Would have ruined the final mix had I not went back and cut 50% of it, and then cut what I left down to 50% of the original amount.
When you listen to music, especially pop music, you don't hear alot of FX and such, maybe a lite reverb, and a strategically placed timed delay. The dry stuff just works for some reason. Not that I don't LOVE what Dev does to his voice (ie great delay use, multitracking), but most people don't have the vision to pull it off properly. Good stuff

#145020 by static2
Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:25 am
UncleTonyP wrote:Devin aslo laughs in the face of RED LINING. most producers fear the shit out of "the red" Devin will turn shit up and put it in your face (ALIEN, holy crap, this album is turned up to fucking 11½) but what devin does is he can turn everything way the fuck up, and have it still sound good (and full, ofcourse)

Alien has a really weak-sounding mix compared to City, SYL or the New Black, so I don't get why you used it as an example for how Dev "red lines." Also, that terms sounds like it's analog-era (since tape distortion ends up sounding pretty good if you do it right), but in the digital age (which Dev definitely uses), "red lining" IS to be feared - because it sounds like shit. For an example, try the Red Hot Chili Peppers' Californication. It would be a great record if it didn't clip all over the place.