Archived - Discussion about records and bands produced by Devin

#129074 by Slagfart
Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:38 pm
I'd love to see with what and how he mics his gear too.

#129077 by Yanko
Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:57 pm
i'll make sure i re-read this thread when i'm doing my next mix :lol:
i was happy with my wall-of-sound for the HDAS song i made, but nowadays i don't know if it's too saturated =/
hope Monga can help me out though

#129081 by Blazingmonga
Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:21 am
Yanko wrote:i'll make sure i re-read this thread when i'm doing my next mix :lol:
i was happy with my wall-of-sound for the HDAS song i made, but nowadays i don't know if it's too saturated =/

Monga does what Monga can.

#129125 by Yanko
Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:37 pm
Blazingmonga wrote:
Yanko wrote:i'll make sure i re-read this thread when i'm doing my next mix :lol:

Monga does what Monga can.

it's that bad?! :lol:

btw, got it already?

#131644 by Jay
Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:53 pm
I asked Dev how to set up an adequate, yet affordable little home setup when I interviewed him a while back. I can't remember the exact details of what he said, so I'll try and find that audio and post the findings.

#131649 by Yanko
Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:08 pm
Jay wrote:I asked Dev how to set up an adequate, yet affordable little home setup when I interviewed him a while back. I can't remember the exact details of what he said, so I'll try and find that audio and post the findings.

PLEASE do so
please
with sugar on top.

#131674 by Biert
Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:56 am
Jay wrote:I asked Dev how to set up an adequate, yet affordable little home setup when I interviewed him a while back. I can't remember the exact details of what he said, so I'll try and find that audio and post the findings.

I think I read that. I remember not understanding a single word of what he said... :?

#134673 by earworm
Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:35 pm

(here you go, this is what was said in the interview with devin)

You can just sit there and play it for hours... I'm interested in setting up my own little recording area where I can do everything myself. Do you have any advice?

Okay, pay attention - here you go: Cubase is cheap. With a Layla or something. An i/o box, 8 ins, 8 outs. An input board and an output board, right? Your two channels ... like a 12-channel Mackie board, but take the 2 outs and plug them into inputs one and two. So everything you want, you don't have to patch it in, you just have to un-mute it on the board, because everything's constantly going into your Layla. And your output - just separate your outs. So you've got your 8 outs, just do it on the board. And on your input just have tons of media like the microphones, keyboards, bass, guitar, vocals, samples - everything that, at a touch of a button, you could just un-mute. It's always being recorded through those two channels, right? What I do is, my front end, I run a wicked Focusrite before those two channels. So everything goes through awesome compression and awesome EQ but it's only two channels and all your inputs are on your board. Simple as shit. Then you just open up your Cubase session and say, "Bass!" all right, click - bass - record. "Guitar!" Click - guitar - record. Super simple.
Last edited by earworm on Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

#134685 by Goat
Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:06 pm
Haha, super simple:

#134692 by JuZ
Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:33 pm
I've been thinking about starting up my own little studio for a couple of years now and hearing some of the great stuff HD forumites have produced has convinced me that I should do it. I should probably start my own thread, but this'll do.

Basically, where do I start, guys n girls?

I was thinkin' Cubase anyways and Dev recommending it has convinced me it's worth the cash. And a dedicated computer may be necessary so that I'm not filling the living room with my music junk.

Beyond that all I can decipher from what Dev's said is I need a bunch of other stuff and I am going to be saving my $$$ for a while before I get this show on the road, haha!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

#134694 by tboatbprod
Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:49 pm
Cubase is fine. For a computer depends on if you go Mac or PC. Generally shoot for the best that you can, but if it were me I'd go PC as follows: Conroe or Core Duo (if you get into a big project you'll need it). At least a gig of ram, 2 gig would be better. A 150 gig raptor x HDD would be sweet or one of the new Seagate 750 gig perpendicular HDDs would work as they have great tranfer rates. I'd shoot for a dedicated card for I/O over a usb or firewire I/O for stability and latency. What you'll end up spending money on is plug ins for cubase (generally VST types, the new version may or should use directx). For instance the waves platinum bundle is somewhere around 3 grand. Of course there are torrents, but that's illegal. Everything above that is according to taste and usage, but I do highly recommend sound forge and a good noise reduction plug in. That's a good start. Good luck.

#134707 by JuZ
Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:08 am
Cool, thanks for your help. Looking forward to starting.

3 grand! Eep!

#134712 by sj_2150
Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:14 am
if that hammer hits that piggy bank, it will probably CRACK it

#134729 by earworm
Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:08 am
tboatbprod wrote:Cubase is fine. For a computer depends on if you go Mac or PC. Generally shoot for the best that you can, but if it were me I'd go PC as follows: Conroe or Core Duo (if you get into a big project you'll need it). At least a gig of ram, 2 gig would be better. A 150 gig raptor x HDD would be sweet or one of the new Seagate 750 gig perpendicular HDDs would work as they have great tranfer rates. I'd shoot for a dedicated card for I/O over a usb or firewire I/O for stability and latency. What you'll end up spending money on is plug ins for cubase (generally VST types, the new version may or should use directx). For instance the waves platinum bundle is somewhere around 3 grand. Of course there are torrents, but that's illegal. Everything above that is according to taste and usage, but I do highly recommend sound forge and a good noise reduction plug in. That's a good start. Good luck.

Hi man, your DIS music is awesome what did you use for drums and how did you record your guitars? I love it's emperor/SYL style and sound.

#134737 by tboatbprod
Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:43 am
Oh wow, thanks.
Here's how it was done. First off, I had to cheat for drums. Where I'm at (which is in the boonies in Indiana) the best drummer that I know of can't play this stuff, and even though I can play most of it, I don't have a kit. So... I used my korg keyboard for the drums. Depending on which album you've heard (probably paradigm for the very intended emperor meets syl sound), I sequence the drum tracks separately in as close to real time as possible( ie slowing the tempo down, but playing everything in). Then processing, which on paradigm included replacing all of the percussive parts (kick, snare, and toms) with real drums samples from my old drummer from my other band Coldshovel. Took a lot of work, and I've since abandoned that methodology for the new lp. Guitars were done with a ESP 7 string and a 5150 combo for distortion and leads, and a digitech 2112 for the few cleans. Incedentally, I'd been using that setup since '99 and at least at that point had no idea Dev was using a lot of the same stuff, I just liked the sound. I recorded with a cheap 15 year old radio shack mic, which for what ever strange reason sounds GREAT. It's frequency responce is suprisingly accurate, but then again those mics were made by Shure back in the day.
Admitedly, the way I work is strange, but it works. I do have a new lp in the works that has been taking forever to get done. I'm stuck in the mix stage as my processor is having troubles (to say the least) keeping up with what is an immensly complex mix at around 96 tracks, which is why I recomend the best processor you can get. My hdd is keeping up, mostly, but i'd love a faster one like what I mentioned. Anyways, if any of you would like to listen to the new DIS before it's "released" here's an open invitation. The site to go to is: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemus ... dID=112756
Now very few people have heard this new one, and i'll ask the same of you guys as of the others that I've invited: Critique the hell out of it. Mix problems, effects, sound, performance problems, anything that sounds wrong (other the the fact it's super ultra extreme...lol) let me know aboot it. You can email me through soundclick, or I even think through here. I'd greatly appretiate it, as you guys are most certainly my peers. Right on...