Archived - Discussion about records and bands produced by Devin

What do you think is the best production Devin ever did for an album other than his own band(s)?

N/A
N/A
N/A
N/A
2%
2%
N/A
N/A
N/A
N/A
4%
4%
6%
6%
6%
6%
6%
6%
6%
6%
21%
21%

#68264 by King Fear
Fri Jan 21, 2005 3:54 am
Where's Misery Signals?
I own their first EP, and comparing it to the Dev-produced "Of Malice and the Magnum Heart"-album, it's a whole world of difference even though the soingwriting remains basically the same - it's the sound and the little bits here and there that make it.

#70786 by tboatbprod
Fri Feb 11, 2005 1:16 pm
Soilwork for me. I wish Devin would have kept on producing them, as they now have the same cheesy "every drum is triggered" sound as In Flames, and a hanful of other bands coming out of studio fredman. Lamb of god was really dirty, but alright, I like the new one's production better, just wish they didn't play the same song over and over...

#72878 by pnm
Sun Mar 13, 2005 2:07 pm
i agree with you on lamb of god....same song over and over again!

#72901 by funny_little_guy
Sun Mar 13, 2005 10:04 pm
Other than Devins own work (inc SYL) Natural Born Chaos has the best production of anything I've ever heard.

#74500 by Torniojaws
Mon Mar 28, 2005 1:00 am
While I like some of Devin's productions, I really really don't want to have him produce an Opeth record. His style just does not suit into their music at all. Opeth is all about dynamics and a breathing sound, while Devin excels at compressing the bejesus out of the tracks and making it sound huge with a touch of reverb - it is good for other types of music, but not in the world for Opeth.

#81275 by black_tooth_grin
Fri Jul 01, 2005 2:16 am
I haven't really had the chance to hear all Dev's production job's...only his own work, but i did get a chance to hear one of his new projects afew weeks ago. I don't know the name of the band, but they seem to be a Hardcore/Punk sort of band...im sure someone will know what im talking about.

In my opinion he did an alright job...i dont really see Devin doing much work for Hardcore music, but thats his job.

#87207 by drumdragon
Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:36 am
I wish Lamb of God would of gone back to Devin for Ashes of the Wake but it still sounds kickass. As the Palaces Burn is THE OnLY cd i've heard in about 5 years that jumped into my soul that quickly. That cd is flawless.

#87208 by TeamJonny
Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:41 am
I read in an interview Devin wasn't that happy with as the palaces burn because he'd never used ADATs before, and he was pulling 14 hour days to try and compensate for using older technology.

Natural Born Chaos clearly kicks arse in this list.

And as for Opeth having Dev do the next album... I don't think its gonna happen. Mikhail has been a huge fan of Steven Wilson for a very long time, I don't think they are going to part ways in a hurry.

#87361 by Blazingmonga
Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:31 am
TeamJonny wrote:I read in an interview Devin wasn't that happy with as the palaces burn because he'd never used ADATs before, and he was pulling 14 hour days to try and compensate for using older technology.

Natural Born Chaos clearly kicks arse in this list.

And as for Opeth having Dev do the next album... I don't think its gonna happen. Mikhail has been a huge fan of Steven Wilson for a very long time, I don't think they are going to part ways in a hurry.

Errrr....though you may be right about Dev, the new Opeth album was produced by the band themselves and Jens Bogren. Steven Wilson wasn't involved at any stage, though is still thanked (twice!) in the booklet. Though having said that you can still hear a Porcupine Tree influence in some songs (especially Atonement and Isolation Years).

#88087 by BaldMosher446
Mon Sep 12, 2005 5:16 pm
Nothing wrong with that! As for the list, Soilwork gets my vote, even though the poll is closed. ATPB is a close second though.

#94356 by horse
Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:29 am
I don't really like the sound on As the Palaces Burn.

#94465 by Persuader
Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:58 am
tboatbprod wrote:I wish Devin would have kept on producing them, as they now have the same cheesy "every drum is triggered" sound as In Flames, and a hanful of other bands coming out of studio fredman

Are you sure you´ve listened to the correct band?
The drums on Stabbing the drama was recorded by Daniel Bergstrand at Dug-out. He is known for refusing triggers, digital room effects and such. That drumsound does not sound triggered by a longshot!

#94511 by tboatbprod
Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:04 pm
actually, I think I read somewhere that they recorded the album without a drummer, and used a drumkit from hell kind of thing to do the drums, which is an impressive task in and of it's self, though I may be entirely wrong on that... I didn't know they used god to record them, as they'd stuck with fredman studios for so long. Still when you compare it to Natural Born Chaos there is a world of difference if only in the subtleties.

#94525 by Biert
Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:52 am
Meshuggah's Catch 33 drums were completely programmed too. Meshuggah used to program their drums first, then the drummer would go practicing them and in the end the programmed drums would be replaced with the real thing. But for Catch 33 the progammed/sequenced drums probably sounded good enough for the final product. I had no clue of this until I read it on their website. So if it's done properly, what's the problem with 'cheating' through the drums?

#98892 by EternalMetal
Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:22 pm
Biert wrote:Meshuggah's Catch 33 drums were completely programmed too. Meshuggah used to program their drums first, then the drummer would go practicing them and in the end the programmed drums would be replaced with the real thing. But for Catch 33 the progammed/sequenced drums probably sounded good enough for the final product. I had no clue of this until I read it on their website. So if it's done properly, what's the problem with 'cheating' through the drums?

they used the drum machine because of time constraints. the drums take the longest to record, and they wanted to use a drum machine for experimental purposes.