Archived - Discussion about records and bands produced by Devin
#130953 by Subcutaneous Phat
Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:13 pm
I've always wondered, even more so now I've started my music tech course in college, how the hell Dev produces some of the background sounds on his albums - not stuff like sampling tv or radio, the really weird stuff, for example - Olives, the massive drone at the end of Humble, 3 A.M., and most of the Devlab record. Any ideas?

#130973 by Blazingmonga
Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:51 am
Lots of layers and lots of patience, I imagine.

Anybody got a more educated guess? I am curious myself.

#130976 by Biert
Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:54 am
Slam your face on a keyboard and/or synch?

#130982 by gozu
Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:04 am
i think you're rightmonga probably about 20-30 samples layred ontop of each other very carefully until he get the effect he wants

#130986 by JuZ
Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:22 am
Yeah, I'm guessing it's mostly about a huge amount of work, a fair lashing of inspiration, and a hell of a lot more work. In the press etc. Dev's spoken of both his work ethic and how he's a little proud of this side of his work.

I know I've never heard anything else like it.

#130989 by Blazingmonga
Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:16 am
JuZ wrote:Yeah, I'm guessing it's mostly about a huge amount of work, a fair lashing of inspiration, and a hell of a lot more work. In the press etc. Dev's spoken of both his work ethic and how he's a little proud of this side of his work.

I know I've never heard anything else like it.

Yeah, I agree.

I think it was on the Physicist commentary that Devin (jokingly) complains that he never gets any credit for the ambient parts. I guess that even then it was something he was thinking about doing more of.

Perhaps with the release of The Hummer we will learn more about this side of Devin. I still dont have a clue how he came up with some of the noises in Devlab, let alone the more common and subtle ambience amongst all his records.

#131013 by Yanko
Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:53 am
one thing that happens to me at least is that good crazy sounds to chunk stuff up come basically from pure luck :lol: you test tons of effects on one random piece of sound and it ends up being something HIGHLY useful.

#136462 by woebegone
Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:53 pm
I think it is made in layers, patient mixing and a little luck to catch the frequenzies of the sounds you like, as you try it out. At least thats how i did on my record. Oh and patience :disturb: :wink:

PS. Devin just went a wee bit more over the top than i did i believe ahem.. Hes the man 8)

#137058 by static2
Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:19 am
Dev's been around the block quite a few times. I think he's become very adept at observing sound and shaping it, and also is listening to a lot of stuff that is influencing the ambient side of his music. Anyone can hold the root note on a keyboard with a string timbre through maxed delay and reverb, but Dev takes it beyond that; it's simple, but it's thick. It's all technique, baby!

A strong indicator of his influences and his technique come across when he fills the atmosphere with sampled sounds of his voice - "Truth," anyone? There are a billion Devs singing for incredibly long periods of time - the beauty of sampling and digital music.

#137059 by superhydroyeast
Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:24 am
I tend to just record my voice and fiddle around with it, then add more voice and fiddle around with it