Archived - Discussion about records and bands produced by Devin
#174380 by Devymetalnut
Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:26 am
Don't know if any of you have heard it but its out soon, i never liked this band's previous efforts till i heard this. WOW.
The album is called Declaration and reeks of Devy's work, every instrument sounds so...... creamy and crisp, the keyboards and sound fx are awesome, they really sound epic and have the trademark 'big' Devy sound to them, plus the musicianship is brilliant aswell, brutal yet precise drumming, frantic twinned guitars and a decent mix up of screaming and singing. Im guessing Dev is an awesome vocal coach judging on Soilwork's latest effort and the vocals definately shine through. There is a perfect balance in terms of the sound engineering and you can tell Devin had developed so much in his break from touring. I suck at reviews to be honest but thought i should let everyone know about this at least, along with the new Misery Signals produced by Dev the production of this shines through and kicks the ass of recent productions such as Metallica's Death Magnetic and Slipknot's All Hope is Gone. It is a real pleasure to listen to. Needless to say my copy is in the post. :D

By the way does ANYONE out there have an upto date list of all of Devin's production credits? Thanks. :zzz:
#174382 by Biert
Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:19 pm
Devymetalnut wrote:By the way does ANYONE out there have an upto date list of all of Devin's production credits? Thanks. :zzz:

Hmm there's a good one. His Wiki-page doesn't even list any artists he's produced. Here's what Answers.com says (http://www.answers.com/topic/devin-townsend)

1996 Stuck Mojo: Pigwalk
1997 Unit 187: Loaded
1997 Grrrr : Vancouver Extreme Music Compilation CD
1997 Zimmer's Hole: Bound by Fire
2001 Just Cause: Finger it Out
2001 Stuck Mojo: Violate This
2001 The Almighty Punchdrunk: Music for Them Asses (Also Engineered by Devin Townsend)
2001 Zimmer's Hole: Legion of Flames
2001 Frygirl: Someone Please Kill Me
2002 Evenlight: Evenlight (also Engineered and Mixed by Devin Townsend)
2002 December: The Lament Configuration
2002 Soilwork: Natural Born Chaos
2003 Lamb of God: As the Palaces Burn
2004 Misery Signals: Of Malice and the Magnum Heart
2004 The Heavils: Heavilution
2004 Ten Ways From Sunday: Ten Ways From Sunday
2005 Darkest Hour: Undoing Ruin
2006 GWAR: Beyond Hell
2007 Darkest Hour: Deliver Us
2007 Soilwork: Sworn to a Great Divide (vocals only)
2007 Himsa: Summon In Thunder (vocals only)

Now we can add Misery Signals, Becoming The Archetype and Bleeding Through.
#174385 by Devymetalnut
Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:44 pm
Thanks for the reply man i appreciate it, im pretty sure i read in a thread somewhere that Dev has literally signed up another 2 bands to start producing, after Misery Signals and Bleeding Through. I read that just over a week ago somewhere from the man himself, pretty cool though.
#174931 by Biert
Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:37 am
He's only mixed Terror Syndrome, not produced it. Oh and he played a whacky bit on one song :P
#175337 by lethaldoseofhate
Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:10 am
Wash it, shine it up, and put it in a dress...a pig is still a pig. Although, this is certainly the best production of their albums and probably their best effort, especially after that horrid last release.
#175343 by Biert
Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:52 am
lethaldoseofhate wrote:Wash it, shine it up, and put it in a dress...a pig is still a pig.

Exactly.
#211621 by wyldweasil
Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:40 pm
Interesting fact about this record, in a recent bleeding Through interview, Brandan Scheppatti had the following to say:
You recorded the album with Devin Townsend this time around, which is an interesting choice. He seems to be the kind of producer that leaves a fairly recognizable “stamp” on all his projects.

He really did a good job making us feel comfortable in the studio and [in] our writing ability. That's something we haven't really had before. We meshed really well with his ideas. That's very important for us when we enter the studio. And, going back to Trustkill, Devin had to agree to do the record without all the money. What producers do that? Nobody. He did that just ‘cause he wanted to do the record. He still waited after the record was done to get the rest of the money. It's like, how many lives could you fuck with? We had the person that did the last couple layouts for Bleeding Through not do the new layout. He didn't want to work with Trustkill because it took him two years to get paid $3000 for The Truth record.

For those that don't know, the band had a ton of problems with their label.
More can be found here:
http://www.lambgoat.com/features/interviews/bleeding_through3.aspx