Archived - Discussion about records and bands produced by Devin
#242672 by flashce
Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:59 am
Do you apply the same idea of having delay and reverb, and also having multiple tracks? I understand that this works for straight rhythm guitars because it gives a thick sound, but what if in the middle of rhythm parts, you have slight guitar licks and stuff? Are those lead parts doubled too? Also, what about solos?
#243378 by JJFRamirez
Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:25 pm
It ain't too complicated for me. I mainly do acoustic songs, and dive into "acoumetal" as I like to call it. For the "wall of sound" vibe you're talking about, (granted this fits the how/why I do things the way I do; mainly because it's all me and I have issues with expecting others to fucking make my ideas happen) I typically record two guitar tracks. A little bit of history with me, I grew up listening to shit like Cream, Hendrix, SRV, and I think that because of that, mainly with Hendrix and Vaughan, I tend to mix my rhythm and leads quite a bit. I focus more heavily on my rhythm chops, but can throw in a lick or two, and write solos to match what (my mind's) bass would play while soloing.

Anywhos. Two acoustic guitar tracks, one dedicated solely towards rhythm and embellishments, the other dedicated towards "if it's just me playing rhythm/solo/fills/etc". It's very rare that I'll need echo/reverb or whatever because I seem to make it work for what I want. I usually double up on my vocals depending on what I'm looking for. This may involve throwing in an extra vocal track for bass/falsetto or power.

Electrically, I custom-wire my guitars, which are mainly strat-knockoffs. I take out the 5-way switch and a tone knob, and put in 3 mini-switches for individual pick-up selection (in and out-of-phase, mind you) and leave a volume and tone knob. When I find a decent volume pedal, I'm sure I'll figure out something else to fuck up, but it tends to suit the combos I look for when switching between rhythm/lead work on my electrics. I fuckin' hate dealing with effects pedals, keeping them to a minimum. The only time I really appreciate them is when recording bars that need to be recorded while I play solos over them while jamming. Otherwise, I just record loops on my machine, put it on the Zune/ipod/something with headphone-jack and turn it up while jamming.
#243385 by JJFRamirez
Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:54 pm
99% of my songs start out with me playing the acoustic. I'd buy a pignose to carry around, but that shit's too much of a hassle. I usually know what'll make better for acoustic and/or electric as soon as I figure it out. But it ain't too uncommon that I can play it on either. Pluck, pick, rake, sweep, vacuum... All it takes are fingers and strings, and knowing how to work them in coordination.

Edit: and when it comes to learning other peoples' songs, the only major problem is a matter of the cut on the acoustic: access to/available frets. Next step is learning how to play against the fretboard or just busting out with a slide.