0%
4%
4%
2%
2%
#61435 by STS
Sun Dec 19, 2004 3:25 am
That's album is great!
Well, it's time to know what's song is best for YOU?

...so... you make a decision
Between...

Mine - In My Dreams With You...
Last edited by STS on Sun Jan 30, 2005 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

#61437 by IBrokeAString
Sun Dec 19, 2004 3:29 am
gagagagoing down deep down into the paiiiiiin

love that one!

#61441 by simen_88
Sun Dec 19, 2004 4:02 am
Still my bleeding heart. It's just beautiful.

#61448 by Guest
Sun Dec 19, 2004 4:35 am
I really love the introduction with "here and now" I find the begining of the song really cool, the drum and bass parts are incredible

#61482 by paladin7
Sun Dec 19, 2004 10:36 am
I love "Sex And Religion" from beginning to end. Superb music and songs and equally superb production.

#61487 by BLOYD
Sun Dec 19, 2004 11:02 am
paladin7 wrote:I love "Sex And Religion" from beginning to end. Superb music and songs and equally superb production.

+1, Dev's voice was also mixed really well.

#61554 by a_random_person
Sun Dec 19, 2004 4:48 pm
#4 of course, although all songs rock. The way the acoustic guitars mimic Devin's voice and all.....gorgeous!

#61708 by gurp13
Tue Dec 21, 2004 2:35 am
I have always liked this album. I voted for "Still My Beating Heart," although "In My Dreams With You" and "Here and Now" are close behind. I like the title song a lot too.

Anyway, I've been surprised to learn that many Devin Townsend fans and Vai fans don't like this album. Or is it that DT and SV don't like it? I forget. Maybe both. Still. It shocks me. This is a hella good album. I had always been impressed with the singer and had heard he'd gone into some industrial metal thing but didn't look into it. I was a Vai fan, first and foremost. Then, suddenly this last year I heard that Fates Warning was still around as was Dream Theater. I couldn't believe it! These were some favorite bands of mine from the 80's that I assumed had gone the way of Faster Pussycat, L.A. Guns and all the other metal bands that never really achieved more than one hit single. So, I looked into the whole progressive metal movement. Lo, and behold! I find Devin Townsend staring back at me. Man, was I missing out! What shocks me even more than people not liking *Sex and Religion* is that people don't know Devin Townsend. What's up with that? What kind of a world do we live in?

I think there's some truly excellent songs on *Sex and Religion* and that it's a damn fine album for all of the reaons mentioned above. Great vocals, one of rock's best guitarists ever, killer drums and bass and hella good production. In fact, for a long time, I felt it had some of the tightest, cleanest production I'd heard in a rock album. Dev's influence? Hmmm....

Here's another thing that puzzles me... How come I like Vai (and all those other guitar guys; Satriani, Johnson, et. al.) so much and I can't play a lick of guitar? What's wrong (or right) with me? :-)

#61711 by a_random_person
Tue Dec 21, 2004 3:04 am
You can't play a lick on the guitar?! Freak!!!!!

That album sure is way out there. It takes time. Eventually, people will hear it and think, "man, that's pretty good." And yes, few people know Devin's music and yes it's shocking but his obscurity adds some fun to it. I know for one thing Devin would probably flip out if everyone started calling his music progressive. He's the heavy metal renaissance guy!

#61716 by Persuader
Tue Dec 21, 2004 3:41 am
"In my dreams..." and "Still..." are the top ones, but I really like the whole album. It´s weird, popy and truly original.

#61840 by ForceFed
Tue Dec 21, 2004 2:12 pm
Here And Now, for me, although that whole album is awesome.

#61899 by gurp13
Tue Dec 21, 2004 6:49 pm
a_random_person wrote:I know for one thing Devin would probably flip out if everyone started calling his music progressive. He's the heavy metal renaissance guy!

Er, I never heard metal like Devin plays it when I was listening to it. Hence, the appellation "progressive". I know that there's that whole idea of "prog" being some kind of specific genre and that some people get their panties all bunched up over it, but come on. Most people here like a lot of prog music. For me, progressive music is stuff that doesn't try to follow the mainstream to turn a buck. Obviously there's different kinds of progressive music. I think Devin's music is pretty progressive, at least in metal terms.

As for Strapping Young Lad, when you speak of genre, if a genre goes into parody then, generally speaking, that means it has probably run it's course. And, as I understand it, SYL is, to some degree, making fun of death metal. Does that mean that heavy music, or death metal, or whatever, is dead? Not necessarily, because the parody often becomes the fertilizer for new growth, which I think you see in the later SYL albums and a lot of DT's solo albums (including DTB).

What were we talking about? :-)

#61901 by Coma Divine
Tue Dec 21, 2004 7:02 pm
And that folks, was "The World According To Gurp"! :shock:

(sorry, been saving that one up for a while...) :wink:

#61956 by a_random_person
Wed Dec 22, 2004 2:17 am
I wasn't knocking on "prog" rock or metal. If I did, then feel free to throw my stolen ex-dream threater cd's away! In an interview I read, Devin said he didn't like falling under any category when it came to his music so that was the basis of my little comment. It doesn't matter to me, prog, industrial, metal, avant-grade death metal, speed death metal, it's all good.

And yes, to quote devin, "SYL totally whores itself out." Human!!!!!!!!!!!

And we were talking about how your dog died because it watched the three stooges in color. :troubles:

#61969 by gurp13
Wed Dec 22, 2004 3:36 am
a_random_person wrote:I wasn't knocking on "prog" rock or metal. If I did, then feel free to throw my stolen ex-dream threater cd's away! In an interview I read, Devin said he didn't like falling under any category when it came to his music so that was the basis of my little comment. It doesn't matter to me, prog, industrial, metal, avant-grade death metal, speed death metal, it's all good.

Oh, sorry, I didn't think you were knocking prog, but that some people do.

And, Devin's gonna just have to get over it. I have to put my iTunes in some kind of order and people have to put the CD's in one of the racks on the store shelf. That's how it goes.

Of course, if I really had to drop Devin's music into a category I couldn't. Yeah, it's rock, but is it metal? Well, it's got some definite metallic qualities. But what kind of metal? Pop metal? That was the best definition I ever heard.

Anyway, whatever. I like it whatever category it's in.

Coma: The world? No. But, if you have a few spare hours, I can do that for you. ;-)