The early years discussion: IR8, Wildhearts, Steve Vai, Noisescapes, etc

For me, best song of album is:

1
0%
1
0%
14
2%
14
2%
103
17%
103
17%
73
12%
73
12%
16
3%
16
3%
8
1%
8
1%
15
3%
15
3%
0
N/A
0
N/A
0
N/A
0
N/A
31
5%
31
5%
1
0%
1
0%
26
4%
26
4%
9
2%
9
2%
#312656 by LicoriceLain
Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:50 pm
Virtua Afro DJ wrote:No one has voted for Survive?!?!?!

Oh well I voted for Still My Bleeding Heart.

Part of the problem, I think, is that a lot of people just don't listen to this record.
#312801 by Virtua Afro DJ
Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:44 am
LicoriceLain wrote:
Virtua Afro DJ wrote:No one has voted for Survive?!?!?!

Oh well I voted for Still My Bleeding Heart.

Part of the problem, I think, is that a lot of people just don't listen to this record.

Which is too bad really. I am actually cranking it up on my headphones as I type. Survive is probably my second fav.
#313170 by LicoriceLain
Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:58 pm
Virtua Afro DJ wrote:
LicoriceLain wrote:
Virtua Afro DJ wrote:No one has voted for Survive?!?!?!

Oh well I voted for Still My Bleeding Heart.

Part of the problem, I think, is that a lot of people just don't listen to this record.

Which is too bad really. I am actually cranking it up on my headphones as I type. Survive is probably my second fav.


Hell yeah, crank that hard rock. :D Sometimes, I feel like because Devin dislikes something, some fans do so as well without cause other than his opinion. There is similar dismissal of Physicist and HAARHT
#313177 by Octillus
Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:23 pm
Physicist has dead weight in the middle, Vai's total cock rock (but awesome in places) and HAARHT is a little too industrial-y derivative in places for me.

SO WHAT, BRAH?
#313217 by LicoriceLain
Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:27 pm
Octillus wrote:Physicist has dead weight in the middle, Vai's total cock rock (but awesome in places) and HAARHT is a little too industrial-y derivative in places for me.

SO WHAT, BRAH?


Meh, Addicted! is overrated. Take that. ;)
#313239 by Bookwyrm83
Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:33 am
Yeah, I've always considered Vai just good old fashioned heavy metal.
#313240 by Octillus
Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:33 pm
ppinkham wrote:I'm not sure Vai could be considered cock rock. Cock rock implies a bit of manliness. I like the Vai album a a lot, but it isn't a very masculine album. No songs about drinking, driving, or slutty women.

Paul, I know you remember the turn of the 90s. It may not be 80's cock rock, but there is certainly plenty of cock involved. Vai's goal was to catch the slightly older set with the sensitivity. Basically a cooler/more musically interesting Michael Bolton. Incidentally, I do enjoy the fuck outta the album, here and now is one of my faves
#313269 by LicoriceLain
Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:49 pm
Octillus wrote:
ppinkham wrote:I'm not sure Vai could be considered cock rock. Cock rock implies a bit of manliness. I like the Vai album a a lot, but it isn't a very masculine album. No songs about drinking, driving, or slutty women.

Paul, I know you remember the turn of the 90s. It may not be 80's cock rock, but there is certainly plenty of cock involved. Vai's goal was to catch the slightly older set with the sensitivity. Basically a cooler/more musically interesting Michael Bolton. Incidentally, I do enjoy the fuck outta the album, here and now is one of my faves


Have you heard Vai's new record, by any chance?
#313272 by Octillus
Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:27 pm
I'm actually not a huge fan. I like pieces here and there, but most of it's scattered throughout his catalog like Building the Church and whatnot.

If we're going to go shred, I go Paul Gilbert.
#313306 by ppinkham
Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:29 pm
Octillus wrote:
ppinkham wrote:I'm not sure Vai could be considered cock rock. Cock rock implies a bit of manliness. I like the Vai album a a lot, but it isn't a very masculine album. No songs about drinking, driving, or slutty women.

Paul, I know you remember the turn of the 90s. It may not be 80's cock rock, but there is certainly plenty of cock involved. Vai's goal was to catch the slightly older set with the sensitivity. Basically a cooler/more musically interesting Michael Bolton. Incidentally, I do enjoy the fuck outta the album, here and now is one of my faves


Oh, I agree with the music in the 90's going that route, but Vai wasn't a part of that, IMO. He was way too self-absorbed, and obsessed with his wife and new child. At that point I think he believed he had all the answers to everything. If there was cock involved in any of his music at the time, it was about his and the amazing powers it had of bringing new life into the world.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest