0%
4%
4%
2%
2%

Re:

#196360 by BlackFabio, Inc.
Fri May 01, 2009 9:49 am
ZoSo wrote:I've always liked S&R album. I find it better than Vai's Passion and Warfare or Aolien Love Secrets. And actually Vai's latest one is weaker in my opinion.

I got "In My Dreams With You" in VHS tape. Who's that chubby guy on drums? Is it just some guy on the streets ? Because I read that Vai and Terry Bozzio were not in the best terms after making of that album. SO I thought that might be Vai's revenge to make people think that Bozzio looked liked that funny drummer...

the "chubby guy" is Abe Laboriel Jr., who also toured with the Vai band along the infamous Scott Thunes (Zappa) replacing TM Stevens on bass. His father is Abraham Laboriel, an astonishing bassist, musician and probably one of the most busy session/ touring players in music history, since he played with pretty much every artist from pop, jazz, gospel, and so on. Anyways, Jr. is actually a quite good drummer - or do you really think Vai would call some bum to replace Bozzio's shoes? :lol:

what else to say? S&R is amazing, my personal favorite from Vai's discography and the first album I heard Dev.
I've listened this album over and over for years, nowadays the cd is pretty damaged, need to buy another one. :oops:
And I also pick "Rescue Me or Bury Me", if you guys really think Vai can't sing, please listen to this song carefully. Actually, the vocals, song structure, solo section...I can't see how a "cheesy" and "overrated" musician could put this out.
#203147 by Wander
Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:50 pm
I actually listened to the album for the first time today.

Despite, hearing a lot of mixed opinions about it, I actually quite enjoyed it (for the most part). Devin's performance is (as expected) wonderful and Vai actually pulls off a couple of good songs.
#206569 by TheSheila
Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:22 pm
Whoa I actually have this CD in my car ..
#230011 by Knotrice
Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:22 pm
Down Deep Into the Pain.
#231466 by Liampie
Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:24 am
Wow, I haven't replied here yet! I really love In My Dream With You and Still My Bleeding Heart, they're fantastic. Touching Tongues and Sex & Religion are okay as well. I'm not much into the other songs.
#247015 by hugomitson
Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:20 pm
I actually forgot how good this album was, to me it was Vai's best album, but having Devin on it just made it so much better.
#247124 by mrbean667
Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:10 pm
In My Dreams With You.
#257941 by vaijuju
Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:21 am
In my dreams with you too!
#275082 by Hurls34
Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:09 pm
Down Deep into the Pain

I really like the whole album, and it is clearly my favorite of all of Steve Vai's solo albums.
I still find it interesting how both Steve and Devin only have bad memories about making it.
At the time, Down Deep... was probably the heaviest song I listened to outside of Anthrax and Megadeth.

This was actually the disc that first introduced me to Devin.
A few years later a record publicist send me a promo copy of Strapping Young Lad's City.
I popped it in, seven seconds later - boom!!!! I never looked at heavy music the same way again.

On a side note, I went to NAMM last year and bumped into TM Stevens.
I told him how that was my favorite Vai album.

He responded: "IMA ZULU!!!"
It was cool.
#312212 by very_random_man
Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:52 am
I can't believe only one person mentioned Just Cartilage; it was my favourite song from this project! It was on the Japan import and the b-side of Deep Down Into The Pain.

If you've not heard it, go find it.
#312225 by Hiddos
Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:00 am
I agree that people should listen to Just Cartilage. I think it's quite rare for some reason though.
That said, it's such a weird song. I can't say it's anywhere close to my favourite S&R song. Don't get me wrong - I love the weirdness of it, it just doesn't really fit in that well for me.
Fun fact: Unlike most bonus tracks, this track is in the middle of the album instead of at the end; it's #8, between Touching Tongues and State of Grace.

Oooooooh, here it is:
[youtube]AYqNRg0oI90[/youtube]