The early years discussion: IR8, Wildhearts, Steve Vai, Noisescapes, etc

#73948 by PUNCHLINE
Mon Mar 21, 2005 4:49 pm
The band was Abe Laborial Jnr on drums ( for the US leg, then Toss panos for the UK and Japanese dates)
Scott Thunes on bass,
Will Riley on Keyboards,
Dev on vocals and guitar,
and Vai.

Dev`s stage presence was amazing, but so was Vai`s, just in completely different ways.

#74297 by Barking Pumpkin
Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:54 pm
WHOAH!!!! Devin beating Vai in stage prescence....?

That I have to see.

#74426 by Metalmonkey
Sat Mar 26, 2005 5:09 pm
PUNCHLINE wrote:Other Dev stuff-wise, I have the performance he did with the Wildhearts at the Reading Festival in `94, or `95, can`t remember, Pro-shot dvd, in which he looks even younger than he did with Vai!

I managed to download 1 song from that show, here a screenshot, can you confirm it's Dev :)

#74463 by PUNCHLINE
Sun Mar 27, 2005 1:02 pm
Yes, its Dev. The review from Kerrang for that show described Dev as doing "Cod Metal poses", which if the story is correct, Dev loved that description so much he nicked it for a song title..

The Wildhearts show is superb, Danny the bassist dislocates his knee during the first song, which is very funny, although must have been excrutiating.

Also amusing to watch Dev play Les Pauls for most of the gig.

And if my memory serves me well, there was a show that week, a warm up gig, at a very small venue, which again, according to a review, had Dev kick a member of the audience in the head when they shouted out for his predecesor CJ..

All good fun.

#74464 by PUNCHLINE
Sun Mar 27, 2005 1:04 pm
Barking Pumpkin wrote:WHOAH!!!! Devin beating Vai in stage prescence....?

That I have to see.

Well at the London show, Dev wore a female style bathing costume, poured water over himself, leapt off the stage, ran up the aisle to the back of the venue, then back onto the stage again.
And from what I understand it wasn`t a one off either.

#76020 by Dr.Mosh
Thu Apr 14, 2005 2:33 am
PUNCHLINE wrote:
Barking Pumpkin wrote:WHOAH!!!! Devin beating Vai in stage prescence....?

That I have to see.

Well at the London show, Dev wore a female style bathing costume, poured water over himself, leapt off the stage, ran up the aisle to the back of the venue, then back onto the stage again.
And from what I understand it wasn`t a one off either.

not by any means. At the show I saw, he did lots of crazy shit with a fire extinguisher, was jumping all over the fucking place and generally being pretty weird. weird in a good way :)

#76023 by jon
Thu Apr 14, 2005 3:18 am
i remember reading kerrang/raw/metal hammer whenever dev left the wildhearts.
the magazine refered to him as 'the spoilt brat of the music industry' (or something along those lines) -
poor dev got a bit of a hard time, i never knew why
did he leave the wildhearts under bad terms or was it amicable?

a couple of years later, the first time i ever heard a dev album, my friend put on city.
i remember saying - 'that boy devin townsend, hes meant to be a dickhead!'
...and was then promptly blown away by the best album ive ever heard!

well, im not saying that dev isnt a dickhead, but the moral of the story should be-

dont judge a book by... erm, what you read in the press :roll:

#76447 by 21st Century Jesus
Tue Apr 19, 2005 4:22 am
regarding the VAI 93 bootleg (see first post of this thread)

everyone on emule please take the "incomplete_steve vai live in New York 93" file to your list instead of, or in addition to the full download of the show. the incomplete file has 915 of 940MB but its available completely unlike the full show file (which is about 610MB of 940MB done and is unchanged like that for months)

#77704 by Blazingmonga
Wed May 11, 2005 10:23 am
21stCJ - I have about 360MB of the Vai video, and the file is 916MB. It doesnt say so, but this must be the 'incomplete' one you speak of. I will keep it in my shared folder for the future.

I also downloaded the Wildhearts video shown above. The song is "Shut your fucking mouth and use your fucking brain" and apparently is from Reading '94. There is also a few other Wildhearts videos circulating from that time period, I will see if any of them have The Dev.

I also found a short clip of Vai performing 'Still My Bleeding Heart' on the Tonight Show. It is only 1:29 long, but you can see Devin being strange onstage...he seems to have writing all over his arms and legs too! I believe this is the show that Devin 'engaged with a phone' on.

Interesting to see all the nuggets out there on the internet!

#77733 by Janne
Thu May 12, 2005 12:57 am
I like this thread. All sorts of tips aboot what to look out for in filesharing-land... :)

#78220 by Barking Pumpkin
Mon May 23, 2005 7:10 pm
I'm still unsuccessful in finding these bootlegs unfortunately, and I thought I was on top with filesharing.

:cry:

#78492 by PUNCHLINE
Sun May 29, 2005 4:22 am
I`ve got the Wildhearts one on DVD if you want to trade? Just PM me.

#78499 by thefillersweetcityjesus
Sun May 29, 2005 4:55 am
this is exciting...

if anyones willing, im looking for this bootleg above

soulseek: stitches115
thanks guys

#78509 by PUNCHLINE
Sun May 29, 2005 12:02 pm
Again, if you want to trade a copy of the Wildhearts DVD at Reading, just drop me a line - snail mail only!

#78609 by 21st Century Jesus
Tue May 31, 2005 7:37 am
there's also a performance of STILL MY BLEEDING HEART with Dev&Vai on the 1993 tonight show. I have the audio, I guess the vid exists as well.

The 916MB version is now complete for me, this misses out half of "for the love of god" which was the last song of the show apparently...

indeed this is an evil bootleg thread, but fuck, what can you do about live bootlegs other than illegally sharing them? If vai puts out an official S&R live CD/DVD guess who'll buy it yup I will.