The early years discussion: IR8, Wildhearts, Steve Vai, Noisescapes, etc

#78617 by PUNCHLINE
Tue May 31, 2005 8:47 am
There`s a video of it in circulation on filesharing groups, its pretty appalling quality, to say the least, and only part of the song...The line up is Dev, Vai and TM Stevens, playing with the house band. Again, if anyone has this in full, in decent quality....

#78630 by 21st Century Jesus
Tue May 31, 2005 10:58 am
indeed... what I have is the vid as you said... 1.30 min and 4MB uh oh... its soo small that I thought it was an audio file first...

#81593 by philouze
Tue Jul 05, 2005 6:15 am
I got an Audio bootleg from Milano, Italy on November 93...

#92196 by Metalmonkey
Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:23 am
I just put my hands on that Vai bootleg from 93 (New York). It's pretty fun to watch, and Devin is somewhat crazy in that video, like you would say "who's that kid screaming on the stage?" :P . His singing is far from being perfect, but those screams... :shock: .

#92197 by funny_little_guy
Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:57 am
Oh how i would love to see that

#93610 by DevonH
Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:25 am
FREAKIN' SCORE!!!!

Got the whole bloody thing on Soulseek. Do a search for FiendOfCaffine...that's the user with the file...
Sucker's the better part of 96 megs... The beginning has Dev in a afro wig, then he throws it off and he's got a mowhawk.
Live in NYC bootleg 1993. :P :P :D

EDIT!!!!

This sucker's 961 megs!! :shock: :shock:

#93613 by Blazingmonga
Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:17 am
funny_little_guy wrote:Oh how i would love to see that

What, this?

A lot of the show is actually just the camera pointing at Vai's fretboard...which I guess is fine if you like Vai more than I do....

#93640 by funny_little_guy
Mon Oct 31, 2005 6:00 am
Meh I'd mostly be watching it to see Devin, I've got nothing against Vai however. Thanks for the pictures, I can't seem to find the file anywhere.

#97208 by Tracy
Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:06 pm
poor dev got a bit of a hard time, i never knew why
did he leave the wildhearts under bad terms or was it amicable?

No, it was good but he really had to go do his own thing. He had "Heavy as..." brewing, ready to burst, and was really not into playing rock at the time. The Wildhearts lifestyle was also a little wilder than he preferred. It was always supposed to be temporary.

He took a lot of flack in the press for Vai and for 'replacing' CJ in the Wildhearts. Some people blamed him for "ruining" both bands so nerves were pretty raw at the time. The "kicking" incident was especially nasty. He's not a violent dude but the guy was really being intolerable. Devin didn't actually kick him, just kicked at him, the press made it out to be way worse than it was.

#97680 by PUNCHLINE
Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:12 pm
I thought Dev fitted in perfectly with Vai`s material, it was a strange, transitional period for Vai, but Dev fitted the bill perfectly. All credit to Steve for not playing it safe, and trying something exciting and different.

I also thought Dev fitted in well with the Wildhearts perfectly, so total Kudos to the Devster for being such an adaptable and talented git!

#97781 by VampireDaveGrohl
Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:46 am
Well, he did shove a drumstick up his arse to due to over excitement at one point, if i recall correctly.

Yeah, and Wildhearts fans (of which i am a huge one) can be stupidly analy loyal to members. After Jon Poole replaced Danny there was a gig where some of the audience booed him throughout. Ginger got mightily pissed off about it and ranted on the website. I mean, the wildhearts have had more members than you can mention in a single breath, why boo someone? Tsk.

I would have LOVED to have seen Devin on stage with them. I can't imagine what it would have been like.

#97797 by Blazingmonga
Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:12 am
VampireDaveGrohl wrote:I would have LOVED to have seen Devin on stage with them. I can't imagine what it would have been like.

There are several live bootleg videos of him on stage with them. Have you seen these?

I think they are all from the Reading festival in 1994. You can find the songs: Nothing Ever Changes, Suckerpunch and Shut Your Fucking Mouth And Use Your Fucking Brain.

#97803 by VampireDaveGrohl
Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:52 am
Cool, the only problem is that my only net access is at work, with a comp that has no speakers, so there isn't much point just yet!

#103452 by Devilius
Mon Jan 02, 2006 6:13 pm
Cool Pics!