The early years discussion: IR8, Wildhearts, Steve Vai, Noisescapes, etc
#86044 by asparagusDuck
Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:21 pm
Even though this stuff doesn't really sound much like the Dev we are used to now, I think Ass2 has some pretty cool stuff on it. I really like the Noisescapes section. So what are your favorite tracks from this odd collection of demos?
I'd have to go with Ernie's room or maybe I Am. Friends and Thick Stock are amusing as well.

#86077 by Blazingmonga
Thu Aug 25, 2005 2:16 am
Cold and Soft are stunning. I love Thick Stock for the funk-tastic bass and Dev's manic vocals. Ernies Room kicks ass....the heavy bit towards the end is awesome, and the samples are cool (a little silly, but cool). I Am is another beautiful track, probably the most like his more recent stuff (I can hear bits of songs like Deadhead or Bastard).

I like the whole album actually. Its all cool!

#86378 by Axioma
Mon Aug 29, 2005 3:36 am
I love soft, that one song I listen to nearly every day, just takes me to that over-emotional place I like to be before I can sing...

#86382 by funny_little_guy
Mon Aug 29, 2005 6:56 am
I Am is cool. Black and White is almost cool but it's got a few too many problems to be really good.

#86446 by doomsoldier
Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:54 pm
Ascent To The Summit Of Black Mountain
Thick Stock
I Am

#109901 by palak
Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:35 pm
Soft is awesome, should be used in a album definately.

#109938 by mo
Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:07 pm
Yeah man I think its an awesome compilation. I never picked up on the Janes Addiction influence as much until I heard it.

Black + White
Amsterdam
Ascent to the summit of black mountain

nah... all good

#163971 by Deth Warmdover
Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:14 pm
I've had this little album with the plea not to put it on the internet for two months now and am still listening to it! I'm sorry but I just love hearing young Devy.The music is really upbeat and humorous, if not mature and refined. One of my fav. is the Zep cover, 'Friends'. I played this song on new years eve and everyone just SH :D T themselves laughing.The closer of the NoiseScapes portion, Amsterdam, has been reworked into a kind of eulogy of sorts for the album that never was. I'm just glad to have it to party to.
In the liner notes for the tune Ascent to the Summit of Black Mountain Devy makes a suggestion to musician fans to do a worthy cover. I wonder if anyone has met the challange. On Youtube I've found lots of guys doing Devy stuff but they're basicaly just jamming to a cd. Fun but not really a cover.
Great Fun
#166666 by Marijn
Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:53 am
I like the songs Ascent To The Summit Of Black Mountain, Rain, and Ernie's Room. Ass-Sordid Demos II isn't one of my favourite Dev-albums, though.
#166943 by fugl
Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:01 pm
Listened to it alot back when it was released.
The songs that stuck with me, that I still listen to are Cold and Soft.
I used to be a paperboy back then and listened to Assordid II on a crappy cd-walkman that skipped tracks as it pleased.
It was cool though, to run around on empty streets in the morning and see the sun rise while Soft was playing in my headphones :)
#167420 by Marijn
Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:19 pm
'I Am', that is a great song!
#167421 by Marijn
Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:21 pm
fugl wrote:Listened to it alot back when it was released.
The songs that stuck with me, that I still listen to are Cold and Soft.
I used to be a paperboy back then and listened to Assordid II on a crappy cd-walkman that skipped tracks as it pleased.
It was cool though, to run around on empty streets in the morning and see the sun rise while Soft was playing in my headphones :)

Btw, nice story! :D
#186114 by Mazaro
Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:27 pm
The old Grey Skies stuff is sometimes great. "Rain" and "Ascent to the Summit of Black Mountain" are awesome songs. It has a kind of old Jane's Addiction vibe that I really like.

All the demos have SO much feeling and energy. You can hear how young he was. It sounds like someone making music because they love it and they can't help it.

The noisescapes stuff and later demos on both disks are incredible and often actually approach the level of Ocean Machine, for me, which is saying a hell of a lot. Songs like "I Am", "Ocean Machines", "My Girl", "Promise", damn, I wish he'd rerecorded these for albums. Honestly, all those are probably more interesting than "Regulator".
#188966 by Synthetic_Urination
Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:31 am
Seems the same few songs are mentioned over and over again. Ascent To The Summit Of Black Mountain is great, the first I really got attached to from this album. Cold and Soft are hand in hand and San Pablo Train was an eye opener. Roadkill.... Haha

Anyway I'm thinking those are my favs, in no order.