The early years discussion: IR8, Wildhearts, Steve Vai, Noisescapes, etc
#226394 by ffian1
Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:10 am
ferocitas wrote:
ffian1 wrote:Been dead into the Wildhearts for a while now, and just decided to listen to TWMBD after listening to Addicted loads because of Resolve!

Anyway, got through Vanilla Radio and only just realised that 'One love, One Life, One Girl' could have easily been a Dev track - even the vocal performance is quite similar to a lot of Dev stuff. With a little bit of tweaking in the production, some feedbacking delays during the verses on the guitar and we'd be sorted.

I can't stop listening to it and wondering now

I think you meant you got through "The Wildhearts Must Be Destroyed". Anyway, from my limited listenings I've still always thought some parts of Dev and Wildhearts like siblings, so yeah I hear the similarities. Of course Vanilla Radio and Addicted's Resolve are kinda "admitted siblings".

Aye, while I did listen to the whole album through again, Vanilla radio finished and then 'One Love, One Life, One Girl' comes on afterwards. TWMBD is a cracking listen, especially if you haven't heard it in a while
#226573 by Rossell
Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:04 am
Hello.

I wanna get into Wildhearts. Where do I begin gentlemen?
#226574 by Billy Rhomboid
Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:07 am
Rossell wrote:Hello.

Earth vs The Wildhearts is where I'd begin. One of the best Brit rock albums of the 90's.

P.H.U.Q. would be a sensible second move IMO.
#226658 by ricoetc
Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:22 am
Billy Rhomboid wrote:

Earth vs The Wildhearts is where I'd begin. One of the best Brit rock albums of the 90's.

P.H.U.Q. would be a sensible second move IMO.

Seriously, any album will do with the Wildhearts, I agree with Billy, start with Earth Vs The Wildhearts, then anything after is good, I actually got Riff after Riff and The Wildhearts Must Be Destroyed at the same time, amazing records.
#228085 by ferocitas
Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:35 pm
The Wildhearts today at Helsinki, Nosturi and I have five days off from work! I feel so lucky now...
#232518 by allmyfriends
Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:23 pm

I'd say start at the beginning and work your way through.

Earth Vs.
P.H.U.Q.
Endless, Nameless
The Wildhearts Must Be Destroyed
The Wildhearts
Chhutzpah!

Then go back and get the other non-album albums like Don't Be Happy, Fishing For Luckies and Coupled With.

And un-related:

Anyone picked up Chutzpah Jnr.? It's a compilation of all the tracks cut off of Chutzpah! but I'd say the quality of the songs is right up there with Chutzpah. Some great stuff on there.
#232925 by Jarmake
Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:07 am
A little offtopic here.. anyways. Ginger was a guest dj couple weeks ago on a radio channel called radio rock here in finland.. And he talked about devy and played bend it like bender.. It was the first time I've heard anything about devy on radio. I thought it was cool. [/offtopic]
#233835 by Smindas
Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:31 pm
allmyfriends wrote:Anyone picked up Chutzpah Jnr.? It's a compilation of all the tracks cut off of Chutzpah! but I'd say the quality of the songs is right up there with Chutzpah. Some great stuff on there.

Yeah, I picked it up at their Christmas gig - I was pleasantly surprised by how good it was. The only song I can fully understand why they left off the original Chutzpah! is 'Vernix' - that track's a mess.

EDIT: Bad typo.
Last edited by Smindas on Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
#234988 by catharsis
Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:57 am
i just started getting into them fairly recently. years ago i read that they were dev's favorite band and he had a brief tour w/ them and i checked out a song or 2 and thought it was pretty lame. then a few months ago around the time when i heard that Resolve was an homage of sorts to the wildhearts, and then when Devy had those articles on that metalsucks website he posted the ginger video "jake" and i couldn't believe how good that song was, so i had to check out the rest of his/their stuff. they are such an incredible band, i have about half of ginger related cds and am slowly collecting them all. i kind of worked backwards, getting chutzpah first, then the s/t and yoni, and then jumped to the earlier albums. all are so incredible but if anyone hasn't heard them yet i'd recommend that cuz it worked for me.

oh and i think vernix is a great song, i like how it's all over the place and unpredictable.
#236047 by allmyfriends
Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:33 pm
Smindas wrote:
allmyfriends wrote:Anyone picked up Chutzpah Jnr.? It's a compilation of all the tracks cut off of Chutzpah! but I'd say the quality of the songs is right up there with Chutzpah. Some great stuff on there.

Yeah, I picked it up at their Christmas gig - I was pleasantly surprised by how good it was. The only song I can fully understand why they left off the original Chutzpah! is 'Vernix' - that track's a mess.

EDIT: Bad typo.

Vernix is probably my favourite off of Jnr. I love the chorus in it, I think it's great. Still I have to agree that I really liked it.

Chutzpah Jnr. the song should have made it onto the record. I don't know if you've heard it and The Jackson Whites together but they work together perfectly.
#236128 by Smindas
Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:40 am
Yeah, I think 'Chutzpah Jnr.' got used as the opener on the Japanese version of the album. Seems kind of weird they cut it off for all other releases.
#238024 by allmyfriends
Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:33 pm
Smindas wrote:Yeah, I think 'Chutzpah Jnr.' got used as the opener on the Japanese version of the album. Seems kind of weird they cut it off for all other releases.

You get that a lot with Japanese releases of albums, they'll shove on a handful of bonus tracks to add extra incentive for a purchase. I think it's to curtail bootlegging of albums or something. Plus, The Wildhearts are supposedly pretty popular in Japan so it might be because of that too.
#252533 by Spiritwalker
Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:51 pm
Going to see Ginger & Friends on Monday in Glasgow. Doing a mostly Wildhearts set. Should be top notch.
#269469 by Hatredcopter
Mon May 30, 2011 10:14 am
Does anyone have or know where I can get the audio from the Wildhearts 1994 Reading show featuring Dev? I've seen the video footage on YouTube, but have never been able to find the audio :(
#269645 by PUNCHLINE
Tue May 31, 2011 5:28 pm
Hatredcopter wrote:Does anyone have or know where I can get the audio from the Wildhearts 1994 Reading show featuring Dev? I've seen the video footage on YouTube, but have never been able to find the audio :(

I have the DVD of the whole Reading show, could just rip the audio from that...?