The early years discussion: IR8, Wildhearts, Steve Vai, Noisescapes, etc

#142804 by ASHORIZZOR
Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:15 pm
This is amazing! Thanks for bringing that up, muchas gracias buddy! Good Lord, look at Devin....what a very young Grasshopper! :D

#142809 by sj_2150
Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:13 pm
Pigmash you legend :D

#142872 by 21st Century Jesus
Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:46 pm
http://www.farbeyondmetal.com/index.php?page_id=1199
makin an info page bout the gig and recordings...

would be great to have the date of the show and the setlist and stuff...

is there some place in this giant internet where info on the tour with dev in 1994 can be found? would be great to have sum of that...

#142873 by JayjayAbnormal
Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:24 pm
Reading is on the same day each year if I recall correctly. August 28th? I forget.

#142874 by Pigmash
Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:59 pm
A Wildhearts fan wrote a great detailed history up until after their first break up in 1998 for the Wildhearts website, heres some info about Dev and Reading...

20 July 1994 Kerrang! publish Ginger's side of the story. The frontman puts the sacking down to a personality clash. Ginger and CJ had apparently started to grow apart, having spent five years in the same band together. A new 'stand-in' guitarist is announced: ex-VAI frontman Devin Townsend.

24 August 1994 Devin Townsend makes his debut live appearance with The Wildhearts when they play the Norwich Oval.

25 August 1994 The band play JB's in Dudley. The gig replaces a headlining slot at the Black Country Free Festival, which was to have taken place in the car park of the recently-opened Xposure Rock Cafe in Merry Hill in the West Midlands, but was cancelled at the last minute when a public entertainment licence was refused. Danny's knee causes him much grief.

28 August 1994 The Wildhearts play the main stage at the Reading Festival, their last gig with Willie. Danny dislocates his knee early on and Ginger offers to "pop it back in" for him. The bassist plays the rest of the set sitting on a flight case. The band camp in the paying punters' field for the entire weekend, inviting fans to visit their tent for a chat.

According to Wikipedia theres a full Reading set audio version on a "limited edition double disc set" of an Album called Anarchic Airwaves that was released without the bands permission, if you can find the tracklisting for that it should help your quest... Oh, and as for putting this on a DVD, since whats on youtube +1 song is all I have and Ive gotten them off a not so great quality bootleg dvd to begin with, it doesnt seem sensible to do....I assume everyone knows about his backing vocals on a Wildhearts b-side Kill Me To Death....

#142875 by cjb
Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:11 pm
Fan Fuckin Tastic! 8)
My two favourite songwriters on the same stage........ive always been interested in seeing this stuff, and bravo to Danny for playing the rest of the gig.

Almost makes up for Devin and the Wildhearts both playing in Glasgow within two weeks of me moving to the States :wink: Almost...........

Incidently, as much as Devin is by far the better singer, I dont think his singing meshed as well with Gingers as CJ's does.

#142887 by 21st Century Jesus
Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:09 pm
http://www.farbeyondmetal.com/index.php?page_id=1080
wildhearts urge

http://www.farbeyondmetal.com/index.php?page_id=1058
wildhearts anarchic airwaves

Tracklist:
01 Nothing Ever Changes (But the Shoes)
02 Greetings From Shitsville
03 Everlone
04 Shame on Me
05 Love You 'Til I Don't
06 SuckerPunch*
07 Drinking About Life*
08 I Wanna Go Where the People Go
09 Sick of Drugs
10 Nita Nitro
11 29x the Pain
12 TV Tan
13 Pump It Up
14 Everlone
15 Something Weird(Going on in my Head)
16 Liberty Cap

Bonus CD2: The Rest of Reading*
01 Caffeine Bomb
02 Everlone
03 Greetings From Shitsville
04 Nothing Ever Changes
05 Liberty Cap
06 My Baby is a Headfuck
07 Love You Til I Don't

Credits:
Tracks 1-5 recorded at Plymouth Paillion 08/10/93
BBC Producer: Tony Wilson
Tracks 6&7 (and presumably all of disc 2) recorded at Reading Festival (28/08/94)
Engineered by Mike Robinson
First Transmission date: 28/8/94
Tracks 8-12 recorded at Leed Town & Country Club 07/04/96
Tracks 13-16 recorded for the Friday Rock Show 23/04/93
Engineered by Dave Dade

*Devin played guitar for the Wildhearts at the Reading Festival in '94. so thats 9 tracks, is this the whole set?

As for a bootleg DVD, apparently the audio of the show was recorded pro anyway and is out there, so if the video also is, that would be a fun job for me to set up a DVD from. if as you say your vid is med quality then maybe someone else has better recordings hangin around. i would pull this off if its possible. I also found some VCD quality recordings of this same gig somewhere else in the net.

#142898 by Pigmash
Sun Mar 11, 2007 4:26 am
Theres a guy on Ebay UK selling a bootleg DVD at the moment with The full Reading set and some other stuff without Devin, that ends in a few hours...Cant tell if its the same or better quality though. He must be in less of a sharing mood than me too.

#143099 by Biert
Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:17 pm
Add the haircut he has in that video to what he has now, and it's a pretty normal scalp I guess :lol:

#143150 by jon
Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:22 am
ahh, i remember recording this gig off the radio when i was just a youngster... manys a year before id hear devins own material.
almost 13 bleedin years ago, i was only 14 then!

i seem to remember ginger giving devin a few digs about not knowing the songs, all good natured - i guess!

#143153 by Metalmonkey
Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:27 am
Biert wrote:Add the haircut he has in that video to what he has now, and it's a pretty normal scalp I guess :lol:

The Anti-skullet!

#143592 by funny_little_guy
Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:56 am
Thanks for sharing thats awesome. The hair... just awesome

#148577 by Fee
Sun May 06, 2007 12:17 pm
Hehe, yeah The Wildhearts were my faves too back then, they rocked hard! I have the entire set from Reading (my hometown) on dodgy DVD. I knew Devin was doing stuff with them but never realised that was him playing, didn't recognise him!! and would love to share it with anyone interested but only know how to upload torrents and to newsgroups. If anyone wants it let me know and I'll see what I can do.

#150831 by Archetype
Mon May 28, 2007 5:22 pm
Very nice. I'd never heard of The Wildhearts at all, before I knew Devin.
I guess it's okay to play punk-rock riffs :D