Archived
#82672 by Guest
Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:56 pm
How's everyone doing at the Hevy Zoo these days?

p. s. wanna swap kitty pics?
#82674 by Eyesore
Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:10 pm
Greg wrote:p. s. wanna swap kitty pics?

Dirty! :shock:

#82682 by Tracy
Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:13 pm
All are well. Many cats, 2 dogs... Thankfully all healthy.

#82689 by geoff
Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:59 am
These are not dogs, these are EWOKS !!! :P

#82700 by Jim Fear
Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:42 am
Hey Tracy are they Bichon Frise's?
I love those dogs..

#82717 by Eyesore
Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:26 am
Jim Fear wrote:Hey Tracy are they Bichon Frise's?
I love those dogs..

They look like Shih-Tzu's or Lhasa Apso's.

#82718 by ianlogan123
Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:46 am
I'm not usually a fan of pets but those are class wee dogs. What are their names and how old are they?

#82726 by Tracy
Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:56 pm
They are Shih Tzus. Michi (more often called Miss Pooches - Or Devin calls her Piss Mooches) is on the right and the one on the left is Pickles.

Michi is a full-bred-never-known-anything-but-pampered dog and Pickles was a rescue from a puppy mill where she was abused and nearly starved. :sad: Inbreeding made her a little funky looking as far as the breed goes but she's damn cute on her own.

Note to everyone: don't buy dogs from puppy mills (this usually means pet stores). because they are most often abused, held in terrible conditions and forced to mate repeatedly with little nutrition or medical care.

#82735 by Tracy
Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:49 pm
Oops, forgot to answer the age. Michi is 7 and Pickles is about 3, we don't know how old she was when she was rescued.

#82740 by Guest
Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:11 pm
Here's Niko:
aaand my wife seems to have taken 99% of the kitty pics offline unbeknownst to me.

But yeah... an couple area chains made the news of late. It seems the "breeders" they used were actually puppy mills. So many dogs they sold were dying/falling deathly ill in largew part because of the horrid conditions they were raised in. Heck my chums got this italian greyhound from there free because his legs were deformed and he couldn't really function that well. And then they got another one because the petstore used the same breeding service and got another one in the same condition. After that... I decided to never buy anything (food or otherwise) from pet stores that sold dogs, cats, etc. etc. I mean honestly... if you're able to get online and are in the US (maybe over the border as well) you can find almost anybody on petfinder.com.

Sorry to rant. I was down at the shelter today to see what supplies they needed and am kinda pissy.

#82742 by Eyesore
Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:17 pm
I used to have two Shih-Tzus. Chewy and Sooki. We got Sooki from a puppy mill in Arkansas. We saw an ad for Shih-Tzus for $200, thought NO FUCKING WAY! Went out to the place and it was just horrible! Cages upon cages, shit everywhere, flies, bugs, it was simply nasty!! We bought her simply because we were not going to leave her there. The best we could do for the other dogs was to turn the lady in. I'm happy to say we at least temporarily put her out of business.

Chewy came from a pet store, he had googly eyes and a crazy overbite! Hahaha.

Unfortunately, I went to Italy for 4 months. My wife at the time got herself a new boyfriend, I kicked her out and she took my dogs! Then the bitch gave them away separately!!! Can you believe that? Nothing like giving them back to me!!
Last edited by Eyesore on Tue Jul 19, 2005 6:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

#82745 by Tracy
Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:49 pm
When Pickles was rescued there were 11 dogs in a small cage kept outside under a truck in Canadian winter.

She was fed every 3 days and even then it was either rice or macaroni thrown in and all of the dogs would have to fight over it. I brought her home and she didn't even know what food was. No matter what I gave her she wouldn't eat it until I clued in and mixed it with rice. She gradually got the idea.

Five of her cage-mates had to be put down and Pickles has an auto-immune disease, partially thankful to the SPCA. In their best intentions they took a starved, terrified dog that had JUST had puppies then in the course of a few days spayed her and filled her full of "immunizations". She had no immunity to build against them so her system broke down.

Anyway, she is a happy girl now but misses her Dad when he goes on tour. Depressing thoughts.

#82771 by Guest
Wed Jul 20, 2005 5:39 am
Here's my first shelter kitties, Martha and Clint. I had to leave them behind at my parents. He was a rather sickly kitten and his eyes cross whenever he's in the least bit excited. So between the two, he's got an extremely odd temperment that's resistant to change.

Some people should never have pets. Take my old neighbors. Oliver (seen above eating an exotic canadian box kindly sent by Tracy) was part of a litter of four. They were given an inadequate amount of food and left to fend for the rest on their own. So we made room and took in one, they found a home for another, "lost" the girl, and selectively declared the last one dead when the mother they spayed because they learned their lesson (honest) had another litter.

#82778 by fragility
Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:58 am
Well....seeing as we're sharing :)

Here's my lovely kitty, who was a rescue cat..she had had 6 kittens when we got her...apparently the first time the mum had gone from the shelter before her kittens, she has a dumb name though - Onion

And here's my bf's dog Heather, she also came from a puppy farm, the guy has since been closed down....when we went to get her it was sooo scary, guard dogs/peacocks were after us, we just wanted to get the puppy and get out! She was cowering in the corner, and does have a slight jaw alignment problem, but now she is very mischievous and so loveable/friendly

#82783 by Dunkelheit
Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:35 am
Tracy wrote:All are well. Many cats, 2 dogs... Thankfully all healthy.

holy poop they're cute!