Archived
#83770 by IronMaiden736
Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:50 pm
Most cd's at stores I got to are around 9-13 bucks. At the same store, Devin Townsend cds are 16 and over. Not to sound rude or anything, but why are Devin Townsend cds so expensive? I'm not trying to sound negative here, I was just curious.

Also, I just want to thank you for treating Devs fans so well.....you don't know how good I felt when I opened my shirt I ordered and saw that smiley and all the reading material! :D

#83775 by CardDinour
Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:38 am
actually, for me, the prices on HDR are extremely cheap. the fact that they charge no shipping is totally awesome, it means i can get the cd for about $22AUS instead of $30AUS. so i get all my SYL and Dev stuff thru HDR. and if you check amazon, most cds are around $15US anyway.

#83778 by Atari
Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:42 am
The music stores and distributors always stick in a chunky mark up. Then there's always which ever form of Sales Tax or VAT you're lumbered with. If i can find a SYL or DTB record in stores it's usually around the £16/17 mark. At £4-6 off store prices, I've now learnt to grab them from HDR.
Last edited by Atari on Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

#83780 by Olive?
Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:50 am
Here Cds are 20 € or over. So for me HDR prices are cheaper.

#83782 by Terraformer
Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:35 am
The HDR-Store prices are TOTALLY okay with me.
I even wonder why Dev and Tracy don't ask more.
Darn! I'd even buy Devs disks if they were 50$ each!

#83784 by chrisslight
Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:50 am
Living in England, its actually cheaper to get stuff from the HDR strore.

#83800 by Tracy
Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:47 pm
I don't know where you live or whose CD's you are buying but if you are talking about the website it is postage. The CD includes the postage price that you don't have in a store.

If you are buying from a store you're likely not going to find a disc for $13 from an independent label. It's not going to happen. Major labels produce tens of thousands of one title, we do them 1000 at a time, which raises costs. When you sell less, everything costs more. It takes more effort for a distributor to go fill an order for 3 CDs instead of 300.

If you are finding a Devin record for $16 you are very lucky because I checked yesterday in our local HMV and DTB was $22.95 and SYL was $24.95. That is a massive markup that is out of our control. We sell to the distributor for relatively little and after that it is up to the individual store. Note that even though Century Media who is a far bigger company than HDR, SYL costs more (we share the same distributor in this country).

This is only for Canada where HDR is the label but I am sure that it works the same elsewhere. Small labels don't have the capital for major promotions like the big labels do, or the clout to get featured placement or radio play so the small label survives only on record sales. If they sold the disc for just over cost, they could never earn enough to make more discs. It's like WalMart. They can sell for stupidly low prices because they sell huge amounts of it. Smaller profit margin but huge volume - they are still ahead. If you were a small store trying to match them, you are buying your inventory for often higher than WalMart's retail price. Say you could get the inventory for the same price and lowered your profit to $2 off of each sale but only sold 3 in a month? Yay, you've got $6. WalMart sold 3000 of the same item in the same period and made $6000. Same principle.

#83806 by Terraformer
Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:12 pm
Tracy wrote:Small labels don't have the capital for major promotions like the big labels do, or the clout to get featured placement or radio play so the small label survives only on record sales. If they sold the disc for just over cost, they could never earn enough to make more discs. It's like WalMart. They can sell for stupidly low prices because they sell huge amounts of it. Smaller profit margin but huge volume - they are still ahead. If you were a small store trying to match them, you are buying your inventory for often higher than WalMart's retail price. Say you could get the inventory for the same price and lowered your profit to $2 off of each sale but only sold 3 in a month? Yay, you've got $6. WalMart sold 3000 of the same item in the same period and made $6000. Same principle.

WORSHIP THESE WISE WORDS!
I EXACTLY know what you're talkin' about, Tracy...

#83837 by IronMaiden736
Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:15 pm
Tracy wrote:I don't know where you live or whose CD's you are buying but if you are talking about the website it is postage. The CD includes the postage price that you don't have in a store.

If you are buying from a store you're likely not going to find a disc for $13 from an independent label. It's not going to happen. Major labels produce tens of thousands of one title, we do them 1000 at a time, which raises costs. When you sell less, everything costs more. It takes more effort for a distributor to go fill an order for 3 CDs instead of 300.

If you are finding a Devin record for $16 you are very lucky because I checked yesterday in our local HMV and DTB was $22.95 and SYL was $24.95. That is a massive markup that is out of our control. We sell to the distributor for relatively little and after that it is up to the individual store. Note that even though Century Media who is a far bigger company than HDR, SYL costs more (we share the same distributor in this country).

This is only for Canada where HDR is the label but I am sure that it works the same elsewhere. Small labels don't have the capital for major promotions like the big labels do, or the clout to get featured placement or radio play so the small label survives only on record sales. If they sold the disc for just over cost, they could never earn enough to make more discs. It's like WalMart. They can sell for stupidly low prices because they sell huge amounts of it. Smaller profit margin but huge volume - they are still ahead. If you were a small store trying to match them, you are buying your inventory for often higher than WalMart's retail price. Say you could get the inventory for the same price and lowered your profit to $2 off of each sale but only sold 3 in a month? Yay, you've got $6. WalMart sold 3000 of the same item in the same period and made $6000. Same principle.

Thanks for typing that all out. And again, I wasn't trying to sound negative. I would pay any price for my devin cds. Keep up the good work tracy!

#83839 by Eyesore
Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:35 pm
Tracy should never have had to answer that question. I would pay $20 per CD buying directly from HDR! You have to approach this with the "indie band/grassroots" mentality that has been lost in the last 15 years or so! Supporting artists like Devin should be a priority if you are a fan, the prices at HDR are perfectly fine because you know you're supporting the artist!

In fact, with Tracy's constant presence amongst the fans, you know you're not only supporting the artist, Devin, but also his family! You can't ask for more motivation than that, you know? And if you need some, go read through the Pets thread!! Hehehe.

For the record, if I ever win like 153 million dollars on Powerball, Devin and Tracy, the guys in Solitude Aeturnus, the remaining Dead Milkmen members and the guys in Therapy? are all becoming millionaires with me because they deserve it!! =) I'm serious, hehehe...this is no fanboy shit. There are those bands that have inspired me so much and have not gotten the recognition they deserve, so I'll hook them up!

Seriously, don't laugh, fuckers!! I'll never win Powerball, but it's the thought that counts, right? =)

#83844 by IronMaiden736
Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:12 pm
damnit, lol I knew people would think that im dissapointed with HDR. Not at all. Its the exact opposite. I would pay $150 for each cd if I had to lol. I was just wondering. Sorry if you guys took it the wrong way :oops:

#83845 by Eyesore
Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:47 pm
IronMaiden736 wrote:damnit, lol I knew people would think that im dissapointed with HDR. Not at all. Its the exact opposite. I would pay $150 for each cd if I had to lol. I was just wondering. Sorry if you guys took it the wrong way :oops:

Don't lie! If the CDs were $150, I'd tell HDR to kiss my ass! :D Unless, of course, I won Powerball!!!! :P

#83848 by IronMaiden736
Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:02 pm
Eyesore wrote:
IronMaiden736 wrote:damnit, lol I knew people would think that im dissapointed with HDR. Not at all. Its the exact opposite. I would pay $150 for each cd if I had to lol. I was just wondering. Sorry if you guys took it the wrong way :oops:

Don't lie! If the CDs were $150, I'd tell HDR to kiss my ass! :D Unless, of course, I won Powerball!!!! :P

lol Im not kidding. I need my devy that bad :D

#83866 by WickedBuddhi
Fri Aug 05, 2005 4:48 am
Another thing wal-mart can do is Hire cheap labor, or ship factories over seas for slave labor.

I never mind paying a more expensive price aslong as I know its going to something or someone good. When I buy from Hevydevy.com I know i'm getting my moneys worth.

#83867 by WickedBuddhi
Fri Aug 05, 2005 4:56 am
Eyesore wrote:
For the record, if I ever win like 153 million dollars on Powerball, Devin and Tracy, the guys in Solitude Aeturnus, the remaining Dead Milkmen members and the guys in Therapy? are all becoming millionaires with me because they deserve it!! =) I'm serious, hehehe...this is no fanboy shit. There are those bands that have inspired me so much and have not gotten the recognition they deserve, so I'll hook them up!

If i had that kind of money i'd do the same. I would also build a cd shop and carry large amonts of Hevy Devy Merchandise, So I could share it with everyone.