Archived
#100239 by djskrimp
Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:20 pm
This is really for Tracy, but if anyone can explain it to me, I'd sure appreciate it.

What is best way to support the artist? Should I buy direct from HevyDevy Records, or would Dev, et al, get the same amount of money if I bought the CD from like Amazon? Is it better to buy a t-shirt, or is concert attendance the best way to reap capital? I ask because:
1) I feel guilty as hell for not having the integrity to wait till Jan for the official release of Synchestra
2) I want Dev and co. to be able to produce the music they do and be able to live a comfortable life doing so, as opposed to having to sling hash to live.

Any thoughts?

#100264 by Tracy
Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:11 pm
All we ask is you buy the records and maybe spread the word. Many of you are really touching with your dedication. We appreciate it, that's why we send out cards every year and spend time with you here.

Devin probably does make more through discs bought direct through HDR but we also need to support the other labels or they won't be able to continue releasing the albums world wide. We may not receive the same amount personally per disc but they do fund the tours and do the promotion - what they do is very important to the continuation of the cause. Anything you can do to help is awesome, and it's all appreciated.

Thank you.

:P

#100286 by EternalMetal
Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:01 pm
I feel the same way. I greedily downloaded the album, even though i knew Devin didnt want us to. I am definitely going to buy it (no doubt), but was wondering if it was any more of a gripe that he had other than ruining some potential album sales. I know the music business is tough, and downloading makes it worse. So i can understand what a leak can make you feel like a month before the release.

I just dont want to cause Devin any ill feelings. Hows this, im already buying a t-shirt, im buying the cd the day it comes out, and if the Opeth tour works out, ill be in the front row. I gladly support Devin and the music he writes. I also support the rest of the band members and their side projects, especially Ryan, he is an EXCELLENT drummer.

How about mail them a Christmas card with 15$ in it? I think that would be more than they would get through album sales, a t-shirt, or a concert ticket.

I appreciate the hard work Devin puts into his work, and to download and not buy the new album would be like giving him the middle finger. I would never do that to any band I listen to, especially my favorite band (DTB of course :lol:)

#100524 by gurp13
Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:35 pm
EternalMetal wrote:I feel the same way. I greedily downloaded the album, even though i knew Devin didnt want us to. I am definitely going to buy it (no doubt), but was wondering if it was any more of a gripe that he had other than ruining some potential album sales. I know the music business is tough, and downloading makes it worse. So i can understand what a leak can make you feel like a month before the release.

EternalMetal wrote:And believe it or not, downloading doesnt hurt album sales too much, as a lot of people find new bands to listen to when they do it. Some people buy the albums they download, some dont. most will buy at least one cd from the artist if they like what they downloaded, and one cd sale is better than not having one at all.

EternalMetal, aren't you completely contradicting yourself here? I mean, you say on one hand that music sales are not hurt buy dl'ing. Then you turn around and say it doesn't hurt too much and is actually good for music sales.

I can also offer an anecdote. A friend gave me the Kanye West album. I liked it. I listened to it a few times. But, I didn't buy it. 'Cause I already had it. There, see, illegal copying of music hurts record sales.

#100526 by Carpathian Psychonaut
Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:40 pm
Tracy wrote:All we ask is you buy the records and maybe spread the word. Many of you are really touching with your dedication. We appreciate it, that's why we send out cards every year and spend time with you here.

Devin probably does make more through discs bought direct through HDR but we also need to support the other labels or they won't be able to continue releasing the albums world wide. We may not receive the same amount personally per disc but they do fund the tours and do the promotion - what they do is very important to the continuation of the cause. Anything you can do to help is awesome, and it's all appreciated.

Thank you.

:P

Funnily enough I was going to ask the same thing - I'd ordered the two versions of Synchestra from PLAY.com last week over here in the UK then sat and wondered if I'd just shafted you out of cash still somehow. By the looks of it you still get stuff and, as you say, it keeps the network HDR friendly.

Thanks for posting that so clearly - helped a lot !

#100583 by Introvert
Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:26 pm
Tracy. I really do hope that you guys get most of the money that comes to HevyDevy records.

If one cd is 17 bucks i do hope it leaves you almost 10 bucks (exc. taxes) after priting and sending the stuff out. That way I feel I'm supporting you guys the most.

#100697 by blisterguy
Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:33 am
Introvert wrote:Tracy. I really do hope that you guys get most of the money that comes to HevyDevy records.

If one cd is 17 bucks i do hope it leaves you almost 10 bucks (exc. taxes) after priting and sending the stuff out. That way I feel I'm supporting you guys the most.

i think that's more of a short term gain than a long term one though. :/

#100854 by Olive?
Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:41 am
Tracy wrote:Devin probably does make more through discs bought direct through HDR but we also need to support the other labels or they won't be able to continue releasing the albums world wide. We may not receive the same amount personally per disc but they do fund the tours and do the promotion - what they do is very important to the continuation of the cause. Anything you can do to help is awesome, and it's all appreciated.

...So the solution is: buy the CD from the labels and buy a couple of T-Shirts and/or Sweatshirt from HDR!!!

(That is exatly what I'm going to do.)

#100928 by EternalMetal
Wed Dec 21, 2005 3:48 pm
gurp13 wrote:
EternalMetal wrote:I feel the same way. I greedily downloaded the album, even though i knew Devin didnt want us to. I am definitely going to buy it (no doubt), but was wondering if it was any more of a gripe that he had other than ruining some potential album sales. I know the music business is tough, and downloading makes it worse. So i can understand what a leak can make you feel like a month before the release.

EternalMetal wrote:And believe it or not, downloading doesnt hurt album sales too much, as a lot of people find new bands to listen to when they do it. Some people buy the albums they download, some dont. most will buy at least one cd from the artist if they like what they downloaded, and one cd sale is better than not having one at all.

EternalMetal, aren't you completely contradicting yourself here? I mean, you say on one hand that music sales are not hurt buy dl'ing. Then you turn around and say it doesn't hurt too much and is actually good for music sales.

I really dont think what I said was contradicting. For the mainstream bands, and popular bands, downloading can be potentially dangerous to album sales. It could hurt Devin's sales, but with the accessability, more fans can find their way to Devin's music a lot easier, and if they like it, probably will buy a cd if they like it enough. What im saying is that music downloading makes it so that though more people hear the music, less will buy it. But from the availability of it, and the fact it doesnt cost money to download, will download the album, and if they like it, you may just be up one new fan. I can name a number of bands that I currently love by downloading a cd of theirs, and then going out and buying half of their discography. It has a potential to hurt music sales, or make it better.

#100941 by Eyesore
Wed Dec 21, 2005 5:00 pm
Olive? wrote:
Tracy wrote:Devin probably does make more through discs bought direct through HDR but we also need to support the other labels or they won't be able to continue releasing the albums world wide. We may not receive the same amount personally per disc but they do fund the tours and do the promotion - what they do is very important to the continuation of the cause. Anything you can do to help is awesome, and it's all appreciated.

...So the solution is: buy the CD from the labels and buy a couple of T-Shirts and/or Sweatshirt from HDR!!!

For those, like myself, who plan on getting everything, buy the regular CD from I/O, buy the limited/DVD version and a t-shirt from HDR...and go to the shows and bring your noob friends. =)

#100944 by Olive?
Wed Dec 21, 2005 5:05 pm
Eyesore wrote:
Olive? wrote:

For those, like myself, who plan on getting everything, buy the regular CD from I/O, buy the limited/DVD version and a t-shirt from HDR...and go to the shows and bring your noob friends. =)

FUCK YEAH!!!

I like that!! :wink:

#100946 by Spinalcold
Wed Dec 21, 2005 5:08 pm
See all the propaganda you hear about record sales and downloading usually isn't taking in the whole picture. Since the P2P networks have become popular labels have seen the sales of their main radio friendly bands go down. However, they avoid to say that the lesser known artists are selling more records. Personally, I'm glad that's happening and I hope the trend continues. People are finding music that appeals more to them and don't go out and buy a CD because they heard a song on the radio, then find out the rest of the album isn't worth listening to. That has driven a few people I know away from buying albums, one song is not worth $20.

I'm just glad the smaller bands are selling more.

#160651 by Mr Clean
Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:19 am
Since Devin is not touring anymore... I think buying from any other label is just useless... I'd rather buy from HDR... :D

Besides... some say they send small gifts along with the record (or whatever you bought)... is that true? :?

#160663 by djskrimp
Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:11 pm
Mr Clean wrote:Since Devin is not touring anymore... I think buying from any other label is just useless... I'd rather buy from HDR... :D

Besides... some say they send small gifts along with the record (or whatever you bought)... is that true? :?

Tracy, in the past, would send you a postcard near the Christmas holiday. that's a heck of a gift, considering that they are personal holiday cards, and not "store bought".

#160667 by Mr Clean
Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:04 pm
Cool... :o