Archived

#152261 by djskrimp
Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:14 am
You learn something new everyday.

#152268 by Das Schuetzenfest
Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:10 am
Dev's vocal range?

Hard to tell, since he's able to sing in ultrasonic and infrasonic frequencies, which no other (im)mortal is able to hear. Devin is the only living creature able to enjoy Devlab to is fullest potential.

Yes, of course I'm serious.
#167663 by Kuhaa
Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:50 am
As much as I appreciate Devin as a singer, guitar player and a musician, I must say that it sounds to me that in some really high notes like ''Yes my lord'' in By Your Command, ''Eat your beets'' in Earth Day and so on, he uses falsetto. I'm not sure but that's how it sounds to me. And what comes to a high screams like the one in Bring on the young, I'm quite sure that's not up to his singing-technique. Somethimes when I yell at someone, my voice brokes and it might sound like that. Of course you must have strong lungs to be able to scream like that, but it's not really singing if you know what I mean. :wink: I'm not a singer so I am not 100% sure, but that's what I think.

Anyways, it doesn't matter to me if he uses falsetto or not. I know he can sing clean very loud and high as well as scream and growl like a wounded animal. I don't really care about his register. What I want to know is did someone teach him how to sing or did he learn that all by himself? I'd love to be able to sing like Devin but I just don't have time to take lessons. I've played trumpet for eight years so my breathing technique should be ok, so maybe I could learn at least something without a ''real'' teacher... But no one cares so I'll be quiet and let Devin's music take me away. *listens to Life and floats away* \o/

E:Oh, and sorry for bringing up so old thread, but someone linked this in a similar topic and I forgot this wasn't the first one I was reading.
#167747 by Persuader
Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:44 am
Kuhaa wrote:What I want to know is did someone teach him how to sing or did he learn that all by himself?

From what I've read, he "found" his voice while screaming at work, in a freezer of some sort (weird job!). I don't think he took any proper lessions, maybe someone else can confirm that?
#167755 by FUBAR
Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:38 am
Persuader wrote:
Kuhaa wrote:What I want to know is did someone teach him how to sing or did he learn that all by himself?

From what I've read, he "found" his voice while screaming at work, in a freezer of some sort (weird job!). I don't think he took any proper lessions, maybe someone else can confirm that?

Yeh I think he did take one or two, im not 100% but I'm sure I remember Tracy mentioning it.
#167783 by Persuader
Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:47 pm
Thanks Biert, missed that one.
#168220 by Kwain
Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:24 pm
Kuhaa wrote:As much as I appreciate Devin as a singer, guitar player and a musician, I must say that it sounds to me that in some really high notes like ''Yes my lord'' in By Your Command, ''Eat your beets'' in Earth Day and so on, he uses falsetto. I'm not sure but that's how it sounds to me. And what comes to a high screams like the one in Bring on the young, I'm quite sure that's not up to his singing-technique. Somethimes when I yell at someone, my voice brokes and it might sound like that. Of course you must have strong lungs to be able to scream like that, but it's not really singing if you know what I mean. :wink: I'm not a singer so I am not 100% sure, but that's what I think.

Anyways, it doesn't matter to me if he uses falsetto or not. I know he can sing clean very loud and high as well as scream and growl like a wounded animal. I don't really care about his register. What I want to know is did someone teach him how to sing or did he learn that all by himself? I'd love to be able to sing like Devin but I just don't have time to take lessons. I've played trumpet for eight years so my breathing technique should be ok, so maybe I could learn at least something without a ''real'' teacher... But no one cares so I'll be quiet and let Devin's music take me away. *listens to Life and floats away* \o/

E:Oh, and sorry for bringing up so old thread, but someone linked this in a similar topic and I forgot this wasn't the first one I was reading.

Longtime lurker, but as I study singing at the Royal College of Music in Sweden I just thought I'd point this out:
When male singers sing high they always use some amount of falsetto, the trick is to bring as much "body" with you as possible to make your voice sound fuller.
Almost every metalsinger utilises this frequently, Rob Halford for example uses this technique almost exclusivly (listen to Painkiller for example, all falsetto).
I don't know if I'm making any sense, but if males singers would not be allowed to use a certain amount of falsetto you wouldn't get any high-pitched metal screams at all.