Archived
#157264 by ricpovey
Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:27 am
Hey tracy,

my name's ric and I've never posted on the forums before. this is long winded but I honestly think its worth a read from you guys because its not a demand or a "bring back syl" rant or something like that. its a heartfelt thing! i know, i suck.

I, like most people on these forums, own all of Devin's work and cherish it like no other artist's catalogue. he's the greatest musician going and that's just a fact. It's just some of the comments i've read and heard from him recently have kinda... well, sucked. I completely respect whatever Devin chooses to do in his life - I was distraught when SYL ended but he gave us Ziltoid and its a masterpiece. Every release is a gem and Dev's music is a major part of my life.

Here in the UK we take our music seriously - we respect talent and I honestly think that we're the best fans in the world - call me a moron but thats just what i think. We're respectful and we give everyone a chance. I read from Devin recently that he didnt enjoy being held up as some kind of crazy lunatic - he's a genius and we all know that and I, along with everyone on these forums and everyone who appreciated his music, understand what he meant when he said on an Australian metal show (Triple J I think) that he didnt enjoy being perceived as something (in SYL) or put up on any kind of pedestal, and I think any true Devin fan is in full support of Dev and whatever he wants to do. We'll all still keep worshipping him, buying his music and getting the most out of what he provides for us.

Download Festival 2006 was immensely important to me. I've been to lots and lots of festivals in my life, and for this one, Strapping was the reason I bought the ticket. I begged my partner and lots of my friends to come to Donington too - to experience SYL live. The actual set on the Friday was the greatest set I think I've ever heard. Maybe I'm wrong but it was just so immense, and to see the effect it had on people, especially people who had never seen or even heard of SYL before, was truly wonderful. I've seen SYL a few times in clubs and stuff but this was something different - I dunno, its just that Donington is a sacred place and it really is special - it was really an honour to see Devin and "the lad" blowing everyone away on the main stage - nobody saw this as a sell-out or being too big - it was just a recognition that Strapping were the fucking kings, you know?

I mean i cant describe how important that day was to me - to see Strapping, finally getting just one moment, at the home of rock, to show just how amazing they were. There was a perception that SYL were the band of the weekend, and thats just fact in mine, and a hell of a lot of other peoples books. Devin seemed to get into it as the set went on, and everything was awesome. Just enough exposure to show everyone that SYL is, and will always be, the centre of metal!

So, to read and hear that Devin was, well, embarassed to play at Donington, or didnt want to be there or thought it was ridiculous or just hated doing it, well, that's really gutting to me personally. That was a treasured moment in my life and now its tainted because Devin hated it. Just stuff like:

"As soon as you have to sell yourself, tour it or put it on Ozzfest or Download, then it's just not got the vitality I need it to have."

I mean nobody will ever question Devin, but I'm just a little gutted that he sees Download as a kind of sell-out? It's just a very important festival to people here in England, and it was a very special moment - I dunno, maybe Devin doesnt see sometimes just how inspirational he and his music is to people? It's just distressing to me to think that Devin didnt really give a shit about playing Download - i think its a little unfair to compare ozzfest with download. I dunno.

Maybe I took it to heart too much or maybe I need to get a life or whatever, but... well, I just felt that I had to get this to you guys. I dunno - I'm just gutted basically and need a little clarification if possible, because Devin really is "the source" if you know what i mean...

cheers
x

#157293 by The Dev
Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:07 pm
Yo, don't listen to anything I say...

It was fun, and I'm glad you liked it...

Again, I'm an idiot. Ignore me.

dev

#157315 by Hughie
Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:10 pm
Wow, nice quick answer from the dev himself:D

#157318 by Atari
Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:21 pm
Download? I gave up on Download when someone robbed my sleeping bag from my tent.

Wacken.

#157326 by FUBAR
Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:10 am
I'm glad Dev answerd. Poor ricpovey sounded kinda distraught.

#157332 by funny_little_guy
Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:55 am
The Dev wrote:Yo, don't listen to anything I say...

dev

You're difficult to ignore... maybe from now on Ziltoid should post on topics we should ignore. Or just to demand coffee, either way.

#157339 by Atari
Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:53 am
Coffee!

now that I can't change my avatar....

*curses Doug*

#157343 by ricpovey
Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:49 am
The Dev wrote:Yo, don't listen to anything I say...

dev

thanks for replying personally! i feel reet stupid now, but hey, at least us download-going chumps have some clarity from the man himself. and the lad, i'm sure. :scott:

cheers dev
Last edited by ricpovey on Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#157360 by Biert
Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:50 am
FUBAR wrote:I'm glad Dev answerd. Poor ricpovey sounded kinda distraught.

Lost in fanboyishness if you ask me :oops:

And you're all doing a lousy job ignoring the Dev! :P

#157369 by Tracy
Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:52 am
To further clarify...

I will always remember the phone call - coming out of Starbucks - a panting, exhausted Devin expressing how he had just played the best, most mind-blowing, teenage-dream show of his career. Download. Don't understimate how much it meant to him (and the rest of the band) too.

#157370 by Mr Susan
Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:34 am
star bucks? euh

#157378 by chrisslight
Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:00 pm
Glad to hear it, I was also at Download purely for SYL, having only ever seen them on small stages and in "support" roles. So I totally feel what ricpovey is saying about how amazing it was to see The Lad get the recognition they deserved from the crowd and be placed on the main stage.

#157383 by gozu
Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:44 pm
i payed nearly 300 quid to see that and only that at download. it was worth EVERY penny and more... i have been to many festivals and will go wherever the line up is worth it, if the dev plays a gig or a fest anytime soon i will be there.

#157386 by ricpovey
Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:05 pm
Biert wrote:
FUBAR wrote:I'm glad Dev answerd. Poor ricpovey sounded kinda distraught.

Lost in fanboyishness if you ask me :oops:

yeah - i'm a big fanboy - so what?! it floats me boat son.

anywho, aside from all tomfoolery, ill probably never get to see 'the lad' or dev play again so thats 'the last memory' from a live point of view, y'know?

but serious tah muchly for responding dev and tracy - really appreciated it and i know other people do too.

and i know i came off as a bit of a loser but hey, i am, i can deal with it... homies!

:P :D :P

#157423 by Archetype
Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:21 am
"...and music, well it's just entertainment folks"

There's nothing wrong with being a fanboy, but never forget that there's more to life than music. Don't get me wrong, I think Devin is great and to my opinion one of the best musicians around, on music and on following his own way. We all know he loves making music, otherwise he wouldn't have started his own label, he wouldn't be still be making music, he wouldn't let his mental health suffer for his music and his fans, etc.
Just put yourself in his situation, and think about how you would feel. As a musician, I would love the following and attention Devin has. You have to give him credit that in these MTV, post-rock, R&B days, he's still following his own opinion and taste, without listening to the big labels or selling out to the mainstream. This is exacly why I like him so much (and I know I'm not alone), so give the guy a break and give him all the space and time he needs. There's no way Devin will ever stop making music, unless he's absolutely not able anymore.
The music is the most important thing, so let that speak for itself. Dev loves his fans, otherwise he wouldn't keep such close contact with them.