Archived

#157455 by Luna_ad_Noctum
Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:49 am
You have no idea how much I wanted to kick my own ass for missing Download.

I don't even want to think of how many times I've watched the proshot video...

#157464 by ricpovey
Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:26 am
Archetype wrote:"...and music, well it's just entertainment folks"

There's nothing wrong with being a fanboy, but never forget that there's more to life than music. Don't get me wrong, I think Devin is great and to my opinion one of the best musicians around, on music and on following his own way. We all know he loves making music, otherwise he wouldn't have started his own label, he wouldn't be still be making music, he wouldn't let his mental health suffer for his music and his fans, etc.
Just put yourself in his situation, and think about how you would feel. As a musician, I would love the following and attention Devin has. You have to give him credit that in these MTV, post-rock, R&B days, he's still following his own opinion and taste, without listening to the big labels or selling out to the mainstream. This is exacly why I like him so much (and I know I'm not alone), so give the guy a break and give him all the space and time he needs. There's no way Devin will ever stop making music, unless he's absolutely not able anymore.
The music is the most important thing, so let that speak for itself. Dev loves his fans, otherwise he wouldn't keep such close contact with them.

Archetype - respect and all but i dont really think you're understanding what i was talking about - and to be honest it sounds like you're responding to a completely different topic, mate. my question wasnt about his future and what he's doing now, or wanting him to be on tour for the rest of his life, or write an autobiography, or restart SYL, or come out and apologise for making brilliant music, or come and live in my friggin' house - ive got total respect for him and his privacy. he can do what he wants and i wont do anything but keep buying his awesome music. im not tooling up for a "vengeance trip" to the canadian mountains, y'know?

i guess im not a fanboy - i dont really know what one is anyway - i just "dig his shit" so to speak and worship at the temple that is Donington.

it was about playing donington festival last year and how he felt about it - thats it - and it was just something i, along with other people who went to the show last year, wondered about. i saw a chance to ask the question on this forum and i took it. i dont think i was out of line by asking the question, was i? if it somehow offended you then, hey, im sorry.
and yeah, of course you're right about some of the stuff you put - but thats not up for debate here and i never said anything that youre responding to. it sounds like you think im ripping him a new arsehole!

also, whilst im on my long-winded, high-filutin' high-horse, if it was a case of "leave him alone!" and "give him a break!" - why would dev and tracy bother answering the question in the first place!? it obviously shows that they dont mind people asking such things. i see this place as a cool way to check what the "craic" is with dev and his music these days - more often than not from the man himself. as you say, he's not exactly mainstream, so this is a great way for his true fans to get the skinny.

so, i really dont think it offended them. am i alone in thinking that maybe the dev would appreciate fans of his music caring about how *he* feels and not just wanting more "detox" or "infinity" or whatever?

i think it was a perfectly honest question. maybe i came off as a freak (and am still coming off as a freak) but hey so what. ive read worse on here. its not like im downloading all his music illegally and then ranting on whether i like it or not(!), like ive seen people do on these forums before, y'know? :evil: hee.

and, just to clarify, despite all this ranting, im only a fanboy in as much as i dig his tunes. he's quality, and that's that, nuff said. i guess i just got into it too much! "can't we all just move on?!" :sad:

cheers.
p.s im gonna shut the fuck up now because im annoying myself, so apologies to all who had to read this.
Last edited by ricpovey on Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

#157469 by Mr Susan
Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:26 am
yeah dont worry so much dude

good to see people actually care enough anyway

#157470 by ricpovey
Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:30 am
aye im sorry guys im just new to this forum thing, not very good at getting my point across in short length and i realise im coming off as a jerk. isnt there a way to delete this thread anyway and get rid of me!? if i carry on like this devin *is* gonna hate download! :D

#157473 by zombryn
Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:00 am
To be honest I'd rather read your massive responses than reading replies with lots of swearing or stupid spellings of words :P

Plus everything you're saying is spot on. So don't worry about it. You read some stuff, felt a certain way about and so you came on here to ask and you got a straight reply and on top of that Tracy's reply of what Devin said on the phone after the gig. So all is good :)

By the way, I was at that Download as well...I'm still blown away when I remember SYL. Everyone loved them so much and everyone was laughing their heads off as well. It was great to see people who had no idea who they were go around saying they were the best band of the weekend. Lovely stuff :)

#157517 by Biert
Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:51 am
Oh by the way, for those who are new or those who have forgotten... For the download video, go to http://www.hevydevy.com, click on "Fan" and scroll down a bit. It's all there ;)

#157606 by Shub
Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:42 am
I feel the EXACT opposite, I only saw SYL at download, and although I loved it, I would give anything to see them at a 'real' gig, with real fans who would appreciate them. Or at least Wacken.

Most of the ppl who frequent download are idiots, how many years since 'timmy' was on tv and the people are still shouting it every year, how much theifery goes on there, how little respect is there for other human beings? What I'm trying to say is SYL, while a lot of ppl went there just for them, were playing to a crowd who in the majority were a bit overwhelmed by them.

My other favourite band (Propagandhi) I saw the same year in november, they played in a gym hall to a small crowd but it was more enjoyable than SYL (even tho musically I prefer SYL these days), everyone in the crowd knew the words to every song, there was so much destruction in the pit, but it was the most respectful gig I've ever been to.

Incoherent train of though writtten down, over and out.

#157609 by Shub
Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:43 am
Oh and "I mean nobody will ever question Devin..." is a pretty dangerous thing to have said. I'd watch out for cults trying to attract you if you can say such things about someone you don't know ;)

I adore his music, but he doesn't hold that much sway over me...

#157693 by Eyesore
Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:16 am
UK fans are not the best fans in the world! Juggalos are.

Just sayin'.

#157694 by JayjayAbnormal
Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:41 am
Eyesore wrote:UK fans are not the best fans in the world! Juggalos are.

Just sayin'.

ICP actually do have a pretty loyal fanbase. But so do a lot of non-mainstream bands, like KMFDM even.

#157828 by Eyesore
Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:03 pm
JayjayAbnormal wrote:

Just sayin'.

ICP actually do have a pretty loyal fanbase. But so do a lot of non-mainstream bands, like KMFDM even.

Haha. I was joking, but what you say is true. And that's true because, no matter what people say, ICP is awesome to their fans. I was a huge fan from 1993 until they gave Mike E. Clark the boot and started working with sub-par producers, but still, though their beats turned to shit (and thus their songs), they're still amazing to their fans.

#157833 by djskrimp
Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:27 pm
Eyesore wrote:
JayjayAbnormal wrote:

Just sayin'.

Haha. I was joking, but what you say is true. And that's true because, no matter what people say, ICP is awesome to their fans. I was a huge fan from 1993 until they gave Mike E. Clark the boot and started working with sub-par producers, but still, though their beats turned to shit (and thus their songs), they're still amazing to their fans.

I still get a kick out of their movie...

#157834 by Eyesore
Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:42 pm
djskrimp wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
JayjayAbnormal wrote:

Just sayin'.

I still get a kick out of their movie...

That movie is actually funny! Haha. Big Money Rustlas goes into production soon. Yep...a western. Hahaha.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNL5n8tddaw[/youtube]

:lol:

#157845 by gozu
Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:40 am
uhhh.... uhhhh..... what?

#160481 by Burzum
Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:16 pm
Archetype wrote:"...and music, well it's just entertainment folks"

There's nothing wrong with being a fanboy, but never forget that there's more to life than music. Don't get me wrong, I think Devin is great and to my opinion one of the best musicians around, on music and on following his own way. We all know he loves making music, otherwise he wouldn't have started his own label, he wouldn't be still be making music, he wouldn't let his mental health suffer for his music and his fans, etc.
Just put yourself in his situation, and think about how you would feel. As a musician, I would love the following and attention Devin has. You have to give him credit that in these MTV, post-rock, R&B days, he's still following his own opinion and taste, without listening to the big labels or selling out to the mainstream. This is exacly why I like him so much (and I know I'm not alone), so give the guy a break and give him all the space and time he needs. There's no way Devin will ever stop making music, unless he's absolutely not able anymore.
The music is the most important thing, so let that speak for itself. Dev loves his fans, otherwise he wouldn't keep such close contact with them.

Shut up and think of something more important to say :D

Jokes

Anyway, reading this Starbucks stuff, it has occurred to me that Ziltoid may well have been a subconcious creation born from Devin's own insatiable desire to find the world's greatest cup of coffee.

Just a thought - you do seem to love your coffee Dev.

Which reminds me, I'm hungover and I need a coffee myself. Think I'll go crank up the coffee machine.

Prepare yourself for the subjugation.