Archived
#160482 by Burzum
Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:22 pm
I admit it, I'm a huge fan of death and black metal.

Aside from Dev, my favourite voices belong to Mikael Akerfeldt (Opeth) and Abbath (Immortal).

Anyway, to get to the point Dev, you demonstrated your death growl on Planet Smasher.

Can we expect to hear death vocals from you again at some stage in the future? Perhaps a death metal album? haha

Classic.

#160499 by frequency-lsd
Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:35 am
How about a Cryptic Coroner full length album haha :lol:

#160696 by The Electric Toad
Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:26 am
Bump.

I love growls too and Devin's is up there with the top of them.

He can do literally anything with his voice.

#160701 by Liquid
Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:36 am
I hate growls. Dev's growls are pretty much the only ones I can stand.

Actually, the same goes for most every kind of screaming and roaring and all that. I usually prefer people singing. But again, Dev has to be the exception to every rule...

#160704 by frequency-lsd
Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:40 pm
The Electric Toad wrote:He can do literally anything with his voice.

I would love to hear Dev do Mike Patton like freak-out vocals :lol:

btw is it just me or does Devins voice kinda sounds like Mike on these songs

Ants (infinity)
Oats Peas Beans & Barley (punky bruster)
Love/Load (christeen EP)

#160752 by Burzum
Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:29 pm
Akerfeldt did a brilliant job on the Bloodbath album, I'd say Dev would too although how interested he would be in the straight-out death metal I'm not sure.

I guess the difference with Dev is that he manages to put beauty into even his heaviest songs.

Tracks like Detox are an example, and of course The Complex which is simply amazing "No you're not the only one".

#160756 by Maggai
Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:16 pm
I was very impressed when I heard his death growls, didn't know he could do it so great.

#161446 by Geiperman
Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:35 am
Hey guys!, I love Devin's voice like all of you, he is really a great singer and even a better guitar player, both qualities are hard to find together in the music world, but for me Patton, leaving appart his musical composition skills, is God as a singer.

Patton is another great genious of this era, and im sure that in the future, both artists, Devin and Patton will be deeply studied and referenced in music theory books, as today another classics are.

Cheers!

#161796 by The Electric Toad
Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:20 pm
Liquid wrote:I hate growls. Dev's growls are pretty much the only ones I can stand.

Actually, the same goes for most every kind of screaming and roaring and all that. I usually prefer people singing. But again, Dev has to be the exception to every rule...

Perhaps if you can stand Devins' growls you could open your mind a bit more and experience the greatness of other bands like Opeth, Amorphis and Scar Symmetry.

#161829 by ringo_shells
Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:05 pm

even spin it into a silk-like webbing used to trap prey?

#161830 by Josiah Tobin
Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:09 pm
ringo_shells wrote:

even spin it into a silk-like webbing used to trap prey?

ESPECIALLY that! :P

#161850 by Liquid
Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:49 pm
The Electric Toad wrote:
Liquid wrote:I hate growls. Dev's growls are pretty much the only ones I can stand.

Perhaps if you can stand Devins' growls you could open your mind a bit more and experience the greatness of other bands like Opeth, Amorphis and Scar Symmetry.

I'm trying, I'm trying... I like about half of Opeth by this point. Some of their growling is okay. But I think most bands that growl overdo it. So tacky, and so repetitive. I think a lot of the problem is that they almost all are in the same tone and pitch and all that every single time they growl. I like folks like Devin, because they use growls as just another facet in their arsenal of metal. That's Opeth's allure. The clean vocals are pretty good, and they fit pretty well in with the occasional growl. But too much growling just ends up sounding monotone. Boring. Dev's growls seem to be thrown in just to add a more bass-centric alternative to his ridiculous screams, at least to me. I don't really think they sound all that cool, really. Just ridiculous. I like the way that Ayreon uses them, too. Very occasionally, and usually not for too long. But then, I'm just not that into incredibly heavy crap. SYL is still a good bit beyond me, even though I'm trying on that front as well.

Not too long ago, I realized how much I love listening to great melodies, specifically vocal melodies. And that's the crux of my issue with growls. No melodies. None that I've ever heard. Just the equivalent of Meshuggah's rhythmically abusing their lowest strings. Cool for a song or two, but somewhat redundant.

Speaking of redundant, I think I repeated myself a large number of times in this post... :?