Archived
#227109 by DRugoletti
Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:10 pm
I read that Devin has bipolar disorder. How did he deal with it throughout his life? Was he diagnosed? Did he self medicate? Does Mr. Devy have an idea of how he got it?

I don't mean to be invasive. If I am being so, I do apologize.

Thank you for your time.

-Dominic.
#227273 by Atari
Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:03 am
DRugoletti wrote:...Does Mr. Devy have an idea of how he got it?

I'll interject here and say that Bipolar (aka manic depression) isn't something you "get". The exact causes aren't known, but there's believed to be a genetic component, if you have a relative with bipolar disorder, then your chance of developing the condition is higher.
#227363 by DRugoletti
Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:02 am
Some psychological abilities(rather than use the word 'disorder,' as it suggests there's something wrong with the individual) can be "acquired," if you will, from childhood experiences. The affect of hereditary disposition is to only increase your chances of having the psychological ability (as theorized, yes).
Ex. One's chances of becoming depressed (as theorized) are increased if one's parents or grandparents have had depression. But what causes depression? Not genetics, but the experiences one goes through. ~death of a loved one, break-ups, etc.
Ex. Ancestral genetic predisposition increases one's chances of becoming Schizophrenic, as well. But one is not born schizophrenic, as paranoia grows withing the patient. A good book with examples of this is "Diagnosis: Schizophrenia" by Rachel Miller and Susan E. Mason.

I'm saying, some people do know the causes of their personality (psychological abilities).
#242483 by ErikSeastead
Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:34 pm
DRugoletti wrote:
But what causes depression? Not genetics, but the experiences one goes through. ~death of a loved one, break-ups, etc.
I'm saying, some people do know the causes of their personality (psychological abilities).

Lies.
I have a completely irrational sense of impending doom and sadness, but nothing bad has really ever happened to me.....
What happens sometimes, is the scale in your brain that measures how much happy, or sad to make you feel, can be out of whack. Sometimes it can get so out of whack, that other logic cells in your brain realize your sadness is illogical. This is my case. Awesome.

Basically, along with my ADHD, (another chemical imbalance of neurons, ect.) I have this 'clinical' depression, or depression not based on events, or personal experience. It is a gene mutation, even slightly hereditary sometimes, my grandma, my mother, my sister. Me, we all have it.

Although, I write music all the time, good music, music other people love. This gives a driving force, I love it it makes me happy. But the second I stop, I'm thrust back into a cold, non-existent world.... I try not to stop.

Some people are just F-ed in the ass dude. It happens.
#242567 by Love of Socks
Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:26 pm
While there were reports Dev had bipolar disorder around the time of Infinity, I'm pretty sure there were much quieter statements about more detailed study of the case leading to another diagnosis. As for what that was, someone I've got a lot of respect for told me that was his and Tracy's business so I kinda dropped it a good decade ago and never really nosed around.
#242569 by ErikSeastead
Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:09 pm
Love of Socks wrote:While there were reports Dev had bipolar disorder around the time of Infinity, I'm pretty sure there were much quieter statements about more detailed study of the case leading to another diagnosis. As for what that was, someone I've got a lot of respect for told me that was his and Tracy's business so I kinda dropped it a good decade ago and never really nosed around.

The only thing I know for sure about Devy is that he said something about the bipolar disorder, and then he almost implied that the drugs he was doing, sort of caused it, and when he stopped, he wasn't 'bipolar' any more. (Interview, since the comeback)
#242622 by DRugoletti
Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:19 am
Thanks, Erik.
I needed some info. on Dev for an essay I was doing in College for my Psychology class. Though it was about a year ago, that info is what I was thinking could've affected our friend, Dev.
#242683 by ErikSeastead
Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:56 am
Yes I'd love to have the interview ready with links and whatnot but I watched so many I have no idea which of the 30 it was.... and you know in cases like this exact words matter. However, I'm damn sure that's what he meant.
#243247 by CutManMetal
Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:54 am
He didn't say the drugs caused it. he said they aggravated it. That's why he can't do them, or drink, etc. It would kind of help him with
his depressions, or so it felt, he would feel better... but then the lows would be even worse.

I don't know what you guys really need to know. He was diagnosed, and he takes medication for it. Or I would assume so, since he was on meds
and went off of them to create Alien when he was in SYL. If you want to know more about how the bipolar condition works, just research it. It's a vast, informative internet, am I right?
#243359 by ErikSeastead
Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:49 am
CutManMetal wrote:.... If you want to know more about how the bipolar condition works, just research it. It's a vast, informative internet, am I right?

True, true, but no two person's mental conditions are the same.
#243380 by JJFRamirez
Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:48 pm
When the doc'll take the pills he prescribes me, then I'll take 'em seriously.

For me, the outlet was music. I make sure I don't drink too much, but at the end of the day, music is my self-medication. Weed was alright for a while until I realized I was so sloppy at playing guitar that it wasn't worth doing. And you can only snort Effexor XR for so long. When I'm at the pool-hall, I own the fucking jukebox. I turn that shit up loud. I'd rather get brought down from playing guitar on a table than take some goddamn pill. There's only one life. LIVE IT. Fuck embarassment. Dance when you care to dance. Sing when you care to sing. Play when you care to play. It's not a complicated situation.
#243387 by ppinkham
Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:14 pm
JJFRamirez wrote:When the doc'll take the pills he prescribes me, then I'll take 'em seriously.

For me, the outlet was music. I make sure I don't drink too much, but at the end of the day, music is my self-medication. Weed was alright for a while until I realized I was so sloppy at playing guitar that it wasn't worth doing. And you can only snort Effexor XR for so long. When I'm at the pool-hall, I own the fucking jukebox. I turn that shit up loud. I'd rather get brought down from playing guitar on a table than take some goddamn pill. There's only one life. LIVE IT. Fuck embarassment. Dance when you care to dance. Sing when you care to sing. Play when you care to play. It's not a complicated situation.

If only that worked for everybody...
#243582 by ErikSeastead
Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:32 pm
DRugoletti wrote:I read that Devin has bipolar disorder. How did he deal with it throughout his life? Was he diagnosed? Did he self medicate? Does Mr. Devy have an idea of how he got it?

Thank you for your time.

-Dominic.

Hey OP.

Just found this in the lyrics for Noisy Pink Bubbles.

You and I
Will never be falling for, reality
You and I, and every being
Falling for reality...
You and I, must never mean
Falling into alcohol
You for you, and all for you...

(People who are predisposed to schizophrenia can be pushed into the condition
Through the use of marijuana)

You can never tell the face
When they're starting to go...

And you, make all my words go away
And you, take all my time
But you, make all the hurt go away
And all I can say it it's day
After day, all I know...

-Yeah-

Fine, fine, fine

So you, make all these dreams go away
And you, help me do time
Can you, make all the love go away
...'Cause all I can say is it's day
After day, god I know

Fine, fine, just leave me alone
Just let me go away
Just go away

Just go...
#244245 by ErikSeastead
Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:26 pm
DRugoletti wrote:I read that Devin has bipolar disorder. How did he deal with it throughout his life? Was he diagnosed? Did he self medicate? Does Mr. Devy have an idea of how he got it?

Thank you for your time.

-Dominic.

Sorry for the double post you guys, but I found the interview.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BSfWV_G ... re=related