You are the rainbow! You are the sun to my chameleon!

#77163 by Verdo
Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:49 am
I too would have prefered a separate DVD...

I too would have bought it without second thoughts...

I too would have liked the album and the DVD to be separated...

I sort of feel that even Devin himself puts more efforts and credit into SYL than into DTB...

I can't tell how much I love Both projects, but I always had a slight preference fot DTB...It's sad that the DTB DVD won't be as complete a expected...

But I too am waiting for the stuff, and sure will enjoy it nonetheless...too bad, it could have been better....

Maybe they'll see our reactions and change their mind even if it means to wait longer?

#77212 by Janne
Sat Apr 30, 2005 3:01 am
I think that if Devin puts more effort into SYL, it's because SYL probably finances a major part of the solo stuff.

Now, I dont have any numbers to show as proof - I'm just guessing. But to me is seems probable that SYL puts food on the table, whereas the solo stuff provides food for the soul.

One more point: SYL is a finished concept. I've read reviews of Alien, saying that although it's good, it's far from amazing, because the "surprise" is gone (I might not agree, but I do see their point. You know what you can expect from a SYL-album).
This does not apply on the solo stuff, which ranges from things like Physicist to Accelerated Evolution to Devlab. Here, the "concept" is Devin, which means that the end result can be anything and everything.

SYL is on a slow, but relentless, misson to conquer the world. Devin Townsend will remain an acquired taste where only a few hardcore fans (that's us!) will be "fans enough" to buy everything he releases....

So for the love of Devin Townsend and his solo stuff, go out and buy Alien!!! ;)

#77217 by Archetype
Sat Apr 30, 2005 4:02 am
I don't think it's possible to say which project gets more attention of Devin. It's probably not a matter of which project gets the food on the table, because if Devin was in it just for making money, the music would've sound way different. The first to records of SYL weren't famous at all. I think SYL made the financing possible of his solo worl. You gotta remember that both SYL and his solowork, is all his music. He writes everything except for a few songs here and there. As he has explained multiple times in interviews, SYL is his more aggressive side, and his way of coping with the world problems. His solo projects are more relaxed, and deal with his own life, and his views on having a girlfriend, putting the trash out, just daily stuff...

#77252 by EternalMetal
Sat Apr 30, 2005 9:06 pm
Janne wrote:One more point: SYL is a finished concept. I've read reviews of Alien, saying that although it's good, it's far from amazing, because the "surprise" is gone (I might not agree, but I do see their point. You know what you can expect from a SYL-album).

I totally disagree with you their. I think the new SYL is amazing, and it was not "expected" at all. It may not be as spontaneous as a Dev record, but its metal at its best. Its all about brutality and heaviness, and you can only do that by doing what he has done. A lot more can be done when you play slower music.

#77310 by Janne
Sun May 01, 2005 11:46 pm
Well, even if "Alien" is amazing (which it is) it doesn't take much time before you hear that it's a SYL album. It's also comparable to any other SYL album, because they do have a lot in common. And that's what the reviewer was talking about, that I understand, but only agree with to a certain extent.

Oh, yeah, and I don't know about you, but I sure got what I expected from "Alien": The same rush of adrenalin I get from every SYL album. That it also kicks the crap out of "City" is simply a bonus... ;)

#77327 by Skeletor
Mon May 02, 2005 3:01 pm
Verdo wrote:Maybe they'll see our reactions and change their mind even if it means to wait longer?

I hope so, seems we're all pretty much agreeing on this. I admit I'm a bit disappointed, but then again I can't wait to get my hands on the DVD, whatever it'll be like :)

#77335 by funny_little_guy
Mon May 02, 2005 10:06 pm
I doubt the dvd will be of any lesser quality just because its a bouns dvd. I'm wondering if it'll be anything but the concert anymore though cuz to tell the truth I was almost more exited about seeing all the bonus stuff. ie the video clips and all there was supposed to be some archived footage of recording his older albums and whatnot. I think the fact its a bonus makes it feel a little less special. I mean you cant go around like yes! im getting the Devin Townsend dvd today! but hey going man im getting the new Devin Townsend cd and dvd today!!!! is even more awsome, so i aint complaining.

#77368 by Skeletor
Tue May 03, 2005 3:31 pm
funny_little_guy wrote:I was almost more exited about seeing all the bonus stuff. ie the video clips

Me too, especially the music video to Storm (even if Dev said it's not that good).

#77395 by Janne
Wed May 04, 2005 12:10 am
funny_little_guy wrote:I doubt the dvd will be of any lesser quality just because its a bouns dvd. I'm wondering if it'll be anything but the concert anymore though cuz to tell the truth I was almost more exited about seeing all the bonus stuff. ie the video clips and all there was supposed to be some archived footage of recording his older albums and whatnot. I think the fact its a bonus makes it feel a little less special. I mean you cant go around like yes! im getting the Devin Townsend dvd today! but hey going man im getting the new Devin Townsend cd and dvd today!!!! is even more awsome, so i aint complaining.

My fears exactly. It's just not the same thing, going to a CD-rack to get a DVD...

#77398 by Persuader
Wed May 04, 2005 12:57 am
Janne wrote:
funny_little_guy wrote:I doubt the dvd will be of any lesser quality just because its a bouns dvd. I'm wondering if it'll be anything but the concert anymore though cuz to tell the truth I was almost more exited about seeing all the bonus stuff. ie the video clips and all there was supposed to be some archived footage of recording his older albums and whatnot. I think the fact its a bonus makes it feel a little less special. I mean you cant go around like yes! im getting the Devin Townsend dvd today! but hey going man im getting the new Devin Townsend cd and dvd today!!!! is even more awsome, so i aint complaining.

My fears exactly. It's just not the same thing, going to a CD-rack to get a DVD...

Well, you will probably have to do that, if the DVD is more focused on bonus stuff like videos and backstage/studio recordings. This would be something for the true fans only, I doubt they would hand that out as a regular DVD. Well maybe if it was only sold on the website or something...If the focus is upon the live concert, my guess is it will be sold as a "regular" DVD.
Of course everyone around this forum want as much material as possible, myself included. Guess we´ll have to wait just a little longer and cross our fingers. The wait, oohhh the wait... :disturb:

#77402 by fragility
Wed May 04, 2005 4:50 am
I just hope it retains the feel of a seperate dvd (the original intention) rather than just seeming like another bonus disk....if that makes any sense.

Does anyone know if it's still going to be a complete show?

#77412 by Blazingmonga
Wed May 04, 2005 8:00 am
I am sure that whatever the final package will be, I am sure it will be a very good one.

Maybe it will be more like the 2 disc version of Terria in the end, though with more recent live footage. You cant say that that will be a bad thing...only just different to getting two seperate packages.

And I think it would be cool getting a DVD from your CD collection...I don't like spreading my Devy collection far apart! Heh.

#77513 by Gossamer Wings
Thu May 05, 2005 8:55 pm
the dvd that came with the latest strapping cd was fantastic. Generally I'm not a fan of stupid freebies when buying an album - but this one was an exception. So - it's hard to say what I'd prefer. money's never a worry when it comes to dev anyway - so as long as the cd and dvd get the full production tretment - I'm not too fussed how they come....

#77563 by gurp13
Fri May 06, 2005 11:02 pm
Hold on, did I miss something? I got to go to the web and look at "making of" footage when I bought Alien. But, I didn't get a DVD. I searched Amazon and I don't see a version of Alien with a DVD. Am I not understanding something?