You are the rainbow! You are the sun to my chameleon!

#107971 by Biert
Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:27 pm
I'm on my second listen now, and I totally love this record! It's still too early for me to comment on details like my favourite song, but I love the album as a whole.
My compliments to the chef(s)!

#107980 by Snaga
Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:32 pm
I have to admit, given how soon after Alien this album was made, i was a bit skeptical that a solid record would come out...
after repeated listens, i'd have to say this is probably the best overall DTB album. Ocean Machine may be a bit more passionate (which shouldnt imply that synchestra isn't), but the musicianship here is much more gratifying, particularly thr prog Drums. Judgment and a simple lullaby are a bit too meandering for me, and i find baby song to be a bit uneven.
other songs however like Triumph, Gaia, notes from Africa, blew my sorry ass away. Triumph may be the best song on the album, from the banjo solo to the beautiful vocal harmonization, to Steve Vai's enchanting solo.
Vampolka reminds me VERY MUCH of the alluminum orchestra or whatever they're called that re-did the music for Dizga Vertov's 'Man with a movie Camera.'
Vampira kind of reminds me of Bad Devil in the same over the top gleefully mad way.
Gaia is some solid ass prog, i love the main riffs and drum groove. also some great twinkling ice-cold production on this one.
Pixilate works with dynamics better than any song on this record in my opinion, and the way it builds up and makes a crescendo right over a cliff of ambience is awesome. big fan of the female vocals here too. Overall this song reminds me of a trek through the Sahara or something.
anywayz ive rambled enough. There's a bit of repetition in the guitar work and time signatures here and there, but for the most part this album combines some of the best elements of past DTB albums and brings the musicianship to a higher level.
right on

#107993 by IronMaiden736
Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:33 pm
For the person who asked....I downloaded the leak. I just got my digipack edition today and the quality is 100x better. I'm an audiophile though

#108006 by EvilPanda
Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:55 pm
Yep the quality is better but not 100x better. This "audiophile" must have been listening to a 64kbps mp3.

Haha about the DVD. Yeah what's with the cheezy "special" effects on the studio gig? They look like my winamp visualization plug-in hahahaha. Totally not necessary IMO.

That and the cameraman that always get in the shots, come on! Shouldn't it be filmed by professionals? At least they could have edited out these shots no? Other than that the live studio gig is NICE and it's cool that the sound quality is top notch since it's in a controlled environment.

The storm video is "interesting". The extras of DTB in tour are funny but sometimes the image freezes while the sound continues. The quality is crappy though.

#108007 by Atari
Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:57 pm
Couple of things......

Notes From Africa references Love?....or the other way around, depending on how close this version here is to the Terria one....

Pixillate is reminding me of Truth. From 1:56 onwards. Awesome.

#108014 by EphelDuath666
Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:15 pm
well, it's 5 am and I might be dreaming but I have just seen this

looks like it sold pretty well on Amazon here so far

#108015 by a_random_person
Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:19 pm
Oh god did this album put a HUGE smile on my face......I love the fact that it's going to take a whole lot of listens to let it grow on me. Synchestra will definetely help me get through the next few days. I need that sunshine and happiness......

#108051 by VocariDei
Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:14 pm
Man, I am in a great mood today. Is it because I've been listening to Synchestra and all the sunshine and happiness has gotten to me? Maybe!!
Great album, the wait was far beyond worth it. And it just keeps growing on me too.

By the by, the beginning of Vampolka makes me think of the song in Final Fantasy VII when you encounter a Chocobo in battle. Actually the first time listening through I really thought that's what was happening. :lol: Awesome track though, I think I'll never be able to listen to Vampira without Vampolka. I love the transition.

#108096 by Das Schuetzenfest
Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:49 pm
Bought my Special Edition yesterday, and I am through it six or seven times by now.

It's an OK album I guess. :mrgreen:

Nah! :D
Love it!

As much as I enjoy Devin's wacky moments, I love his more epic and monumental songwriting the most. Therefore I especially like the second half of the album and my favourite song is "Pixillate", by far - so far! It sounds like the bigger brother of "Suicide", my favourite song off of Accelerated Evolution.

So many great moments! The frog on Hypergeek (does it re-appear in "Judgment" at 4:19 min, or is that a guitar pick scratching a string?); Vampolka made me laugh out loud, the heavy riff in Vampira around 1:50 min almost had me screaming "Seek And Destroy!" And then the "HEY! HEY!" part! You guys need a huge audience; support Maiden this year I say!

Too many great moments on Synchestra...

The production and mix is great (as always) and well-ballanced. On my not so good headphones the snare seems to be a bit too low in the mix, except for the last couple of songs. But I just need new headphones I guess. On my (very good) speakers the snare always cuts through the wall of sound just perfectly. Great drumming!

My first impression(s): Ocean Machine - Biomech will remain to be my favourite Dev output (the epic feeling of that album obviously can not be topped :wink:). But Synchestra is an outstanding work of art notwithstanding and complements Alien perfectly!

And now tour Germany extensively! Ha!

#108116 by Atari
Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:53 am
Das Schuetzenfest wrote:
So many great moments! The frog on Hypergeek (does it re-appear in "Judgment" at 4:19 min, or is that a guitar pick scratching a string?);

I thought it sounded like "Mother", the Nostromo's computer from Alien. Looks like i'll have to watch it again :D

#108133 by psychotic
Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:24 am
Great moment: Hearing a roomie say that it arrived and seeing it slide under my bedroom door. Enough said right there. Seriously though, if y0u can wait any longer, do it, because I'm blown away by this. Was on my first listen, and it keeps getting better and better.

#108140 by Biert
Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:34 am
I think this album has Devs best vocal performance ever. I love the calm clean singing that he does a lot on this record, and the screams are awesome too. Overall his singing sounds very powerfull and... flawless!

#108197 by yessurf
Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:09 pm
God I hope my copy gets here tomorrow... I havent heard it yet and i'm SALIVATING reading these reviews!!!!

#108302 by brimir
Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:54 am
Listening to "Alien" and then going straight to "Synchestra" is an amazing experience IMO.....these 2 albums go together really well!!!!

#108441 by fragility
Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:04 am
I'm just on the first listen now....obviously too early to make any judgement, but I'm liking it so far. I like htat it's definately had a few moments of surprising me, which is a very good thing :)