You are the rainbow! You are the sun to my chameleon!

#100164 by Atari
Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:37 pm
djskrimp wrote:I don't wanna see Eyesore's piece, but a pic of us all holding the merch WOULD be a cool thread.

We usually do that over at the FF boards, a bit of fun

How DO you preorder the album?

any online retailer or bricks-and-mortar record store. when we have fixed information on a HDR preorder, you'll know.

#100166 by Masikus
Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:45 pm
I got it last night thanks to someone very cool on this board. I am just in complete awe of this album. It really seems like Devin is in top form right now. Alien, in my opinion is SYL's best album and now Synchestra is by FAR Devin Townsend Band's best album (including Ocean Machine, Infinity, etc. etc.). I still haven't let is sink in completely but I can tell I will be listening to this non-stop for months.

#100169 by Eyesore
Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:03 pm
Who is the female vocalist on "Pixillate?" Don't tell me that's Devin!

#100173 by SirJuzzi
Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:23 pm
Drumdude13 wrote:This album does take a few listens, then it captivates you. This may not be the case for everyone but even from the reviews I've read, it seems to be what's happening.

I think that fits to all the Devy stuff, so everybody should know that even without anyone saying that. ;)

PS... Please buy the album since you've downloaded it guys ! Help us get out there to tour this sucker for ya'll ! 8)

Damn sure. I'll be two weeks without food if I have to, to get that album from the store 8) (Thought I didn't even really download it... I was given a chance to have it to listen.

You can hear that especially on the Baby Song, Hypergeek, Triupmh, Gaia and all of the Non-Human Level album :lol:

Hehe, at times I thought "ok now this sounds almost like Gene on drums again :D " but I also liked the ghosting stuff and everything you're doing there. Your drumming fits perfectly to Devy stuff (as Gene is the right man for SYL).

#100180 by LordPaul
Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:37 pm
Drumdude13 wrote:This album does take a few listens, then it captivates you. This may not be the case for everyone but even from the reviews I've read, it seems to be what's happening.

PS... Please buy the album since you've downloaded it guys ! Help us get out there to tour this sucker for ya'll ! 8)

I think the more odd tracks might take a while to allow in (mainly the short bridge tracks)

I disagree with what I read recently that Vampira is the obvious single. it's good, but I'd say Gaia is a much more accessible track. It's like comparing gold bricks though - compare all I like but they're still made of gold!

I hope you come back to the UK with it - the gig in Bradford with SYL & ZH in 2003 was one of my gigs of that year.

#100193 by Dr.Mosh
Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:53 pm
Amaran wrote:The person who uploaded it should be beaten.

I wonder why record companies keep sending out promos these days. I wouldn't do it anymore.

Nile's Karl Sanders for example has said he will have a clause in his next contract forbidding promo copies. If he will manage or not is a different matter.
I would welcome it

#100197 by IanDork107
Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:55 pm
Promos are a necessity. Think about it like this. The movie studio behind Aeon Flux refused to let critics pre-screen the movie because it was shitty, and the box office was affected by that. If something doesn't get sent out in time for people to write reviews a decent amount of time before an album's release, that album isn't going to be as hotly anticipated.

#100198 by Spinalcold
Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:55 pm
I'm not sure how this album will sit for me. I tried giving it a listen but stopped a couple songs in, I wasn't in the mood for it. And that's the thing, I'm never in the mood to listen to happy music, it's unsatisfying and just doesn't touch home (I have trouble feeling happiness, meaning I can go years before something will actually move me in that way--not meaning this as a sob story either, lol). I want to give it a chance like Devin said, listen to the whole thing at once, but in order it even attempt to appreciate what it offers I'm going to have to be in a very select mood. Hopefully I'll listen to it on a day that it will touch me, but I'm not counting on it. From the initial songs, it seems as what I was fearing when Devin said "Happy metal" is true. I just don't do happy...

we'll see though.

#100199 by Carpathian Psychonaut
Mon Dec 19, 2005 4:06 pm
LordPaul wrote:I hope you come back to the UK with it - the gig in Bradford with SYL & ZH in 2003 was one of my gigs of that year.

Damn straight - Rio's was rockin' that night !!!

Flying cheese, skeleton sex, SYL firing on more cylinders than they have and standing right in front of Dev during his Away/Deep Peace solo.

How could that NOT be a class gig...... :wink:

#100209 by BaldMosher446
Mon Dec 19, 2005 4:28 pm
Damn it, I couldn't stand it any longer and finally caved...listening to it right now, I'll get back to y'all later...

...And I will most definitely be buying the special edition when it becomes available! :D

#100241 by kremzeek
Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:47 pm
This feels very ambienty...like I'm listening to an Orbital record. I need better headphones.

#100246 by Chops 666
Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:45 pm
Sweet Zombie Jesus!

As if Terria wasn't the best album ever. Now you do this.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE MASTER THIS ON VINYL!!!!!

This album is already fucking spectacular and I am only on Vampira.

Oh yeah, rest assured you've already sold me a copy. I bought Alien 3 times already (still lookin for the version with the DVD{it would be awfully nice if HDR would stock the dif't versions of albums}) and own every other HDR release. Add the merch, the fuckin t-shirts and hours I've spent commuting to DTB/SYL shows and you can bet your sweet ass that I will shell out some cash to keep you fuckers rockin.

#100257 by Tracy
Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:00 pm
Chops 666 wrote:Sweet Zombie Jesus!

Oh yeah, rest assured you've already sold me a copy. I bought Alien 3 times already (still lookin for the version with the DVD{it would be awfully nice if HDR would stock the dif't versions of albums}) and own every other HDR release. Add the merch, the fuckin t-shirts and hours I've spent commuting to DTB/SYL shows and you can bet your sweet ass that I will shell out some cash to keep you fuckers rockin.

We can't carry all of the versions, they are released by different labels. We would have to buy the copies off of them often at the same price you pay retail, and re-sell them to you. Not very economical.

Chances of a vinyl release are extremely remote. We won't be doing it here but Inside Out may, I don't know.

#100273 by emilsall
Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:26 pm
Vampolka might be the best song ever recorded.

Haha, well, this piece of art truly is divine and I must join the massive choir of DEVotion and assure you that I will be buying this on plastic as soon as it's avaliable.

#100284 by Chops 666
Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:52 pm
Tracy wrote:
Chops 666 wrote:Sweet Zombie Jesus!

We can't carry all of the versions, they are released by different labels. We would have to buy the copies off of them often at the same price you pay retail, and re-sell them to you. Not very economical.

Chances of a vinyl release are extremely remote. We won't be doing it here but Inside Out may, I don't know.

Yet another factor contributing to my ambivalence for the decline of the recording industry. Seems like different labels working with the same artist should work together for a common goal. This isn't meant to be derogatory towards HDR. I know (especially in SYL's case) that other labels control the output but don't you find it strange that as a Canadian, listening to a Canadian artist, I have to import versions of said artist's albums? How is it fair to the consumer to have to settle for inferior products in different regions? Or to have to shell out rediculous amounts of cash to order 1 CD from another continent?
Why would Century Europe, or whatever label put out Alien overseas, not want to work with you to offer the product to North American fans at a fair price? After all, they wouldn't have a product to sell without you... Doesn't a box of Alien CD's at cost plus freight & duty for sale on HDR sound like a reasonable compromise? I'm sure you could find a few fans who would order the "Import" versions on the site for $5 more or so. I'm sure this also brings up a whole slew of licensing issues which just makes me want to vomit. Too many people (other than the artist) make money off of a CD.
I'm not directing any of this at you Tracy, I'm grateful for all that you do for the fans. I've been a longtime supporter of HDR and will continue to do so. I'm just frustrated at how hard it is to be a big fan of some artists (not just SYL) sometimes when the answers seem so simple. I guess in the end you screw yourself being a completist.

Hopefully I/O will consider a vinyl release (mastered for vinyl) of Synchestra. DTB's efforts on this album deserve to be heard in the best possible quality. This album was recorded too soon to take advantage of the new formats that are coming and unfortunately CD's are still the format of choice for the general public.

Anyways, on a positive note, Synchestra really is fantastic and I can't wait to get to hear some of it live. You will let us know when we can pre-order the CD/DVD combo on HDR right? :wink: