You are the rainbow! You are the sun to my chameleon!
#112530 by Mr. Hell
Sat Feb 18, 2006 4:56 pm
Well, substituting sarcasm for lack of knowledge is really impressive and all, but it doesn't really make oneself friends. Damn, I almost fell for that too, being partially retarded and all. I could respond on your level with a retort such as 'maybe you could lend me the sandpaper you use to scrape off your genital warts', but I am just on here to show support and meet some like-minded cool people. No hard feelings, buddy! I am all for jab trading, I just wasn't expecting it on this board I guess. Open season it is, then!
Now, to anyone who has actual useful information, I'd be most grateful.

#112531 by DeviousMofo
Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:00 pm
No idea, but I'm +ing 1 on those patterns being annoying...

#112535 by Atari
Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:07 pm
You can't remove the (IMO annoying) visualiser graphics. they'd have been added in at the edit/post stage.

A pity.
#112558 by gurp13
Sat Feb 18, 2006 8:05 pm
Mr. Hell wrote:Well, substituting sarcasm for lack of knowledge is really impressive and all, but it doesn't really make oneself friends. Damn, I almost fell for that too, being partially retarded and all. I could respond on your level with a retort such as 'maybe you could lend me the sandpaper you use to scrape off your genital warts', but I am just on here to show support and meet some like-minded cool people. No hard feelings, buddy! I am all for jab trading, I just wasn't expecting it on this board I guess. Open season it is, then!
Now, to anyone who has actual useful information, I'd be most grateful.

Atari wrote:You can't remove the (IMO annoying) visualiser graphics. they'd have been added in at the edit/post stage.

A pity.

No offense, Mr. Hell, but I thought the question was a joke. You seriously thought you could remove something like that? I mean, come on, it's like saying, "Hey, I just got my Star Wars DVD and there's this annoying character, Jar Jar Binks. Can I remove him somehow?" I mean, who doesn't know that you can't change something like that? You can know hot to use a computer but you don't know this? Seriously? I mean, it's like saying, "I love Synchestra, but the guitars are annoying. Can I remove them?"

If you don't now realize the innate humor in such a question then I don't know what to tell you. I don't lack knowledge about DVDs, Mr. Hell, and I suppose I was thinking that someone with as intimidating an avatar and nickname might have a bit thicker skin. I was having fun, admittedly at your expense. But, see, I have a feeling that were I to ask as silly a question (and you must truthfully admit that it was now, obviously, a silly question) I would deserve as silly an answer. It's not like you were asking something reasonable. Dude, come on. Did you really think you could adjust your TV or DVD player and those images would be gone?

The way I figure it, if you lack such a basic understanding of technology, you deserve to have fun poked at you. And guess what? When I say something stupid you get to jump all over me.

Now, finally, I want to know how you are familiar with my genital warts? This makes me a little uncomfortable.

Now, lighten up, Francis. :D
#112562 by Mr. Hell
Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:56 pm
It's been a while since I've been around these parts, so I guess I have now met the resident funny guy.
It seems I have less knowledge than you about DVDs. I was under the impression that things like incessant visual effects could in fact be turned on and off much like running commentary on any DVD one rents from a store {and dammit if we could remove characters like Jar Jar from Star Wars}. You know how a visualizer can be turned on and off when you run WMP or Winamp? That is what I likened those effects to. I don't produce DVDs so I was unaware that this particular one had post production hard wired effects. It seemed to me that it was something that could be switched off. I still don't think it was all that a stupid question. Atari was diplomatic about answering, for example. A simple explantion would have sufficed...being a cock wasn't entirely necessary. But I guess you have a reputation to live up to here.
gurp - 1 Mr. Hell - 0
Nevertheless, I am a guy who can take a good shot.
No hard feelings, Nancy! Good to meet ya.
#112564 by gurp13
Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:53 pm
Mr. Hell wrote:It's been a while since I've been around these parts, so I guess I have now met the resident funny guy.
It seems I have less knowledge than you about DVDs. I was under the impression that things like incessant visual effects could in fact be turned on and off much like running commentary on any DVD one rents from a store {and dammit if we could remove characters like Jar Jar from Star Wars}. You know how a visualizer can be turned on and off when you run WMP or Winamp? That is what I likened those effects to. I don't produce DVDs so I was unaware that this particular one had post production hard wired effects. It seemed to me that it was something that could be switched off. I still don't think it was all that a stupid question. Atari was diplomatic about answering, for example. A simple explantion would have sufficed...being a cock wasn't entirely necessary. But I guess you have a reputation to live up to here.
gurp - 1 Mr. Hell - 0
Nevertheless, I am a guy who can take a good shot.
No hard feelings, Nancy! Good to meet ya.

No hard feelings? But, you called me "Nancy" anyway? And "funny guy?" And a "cock?" Boy, I hate to think what happens when you *do* get your feelings hurt.

Here's a simple explanation. All of the video is on one track. Commentary is audio. That's a separate track. Even subtitles is separate from the video image. Anything in the video image is married together in the process of encoding for burning (or otherwise committing) to DVD. Winamp visualizers are not pre-recorded. They are generated by algorhythms and stuff like that. I don't know shit about that, really, but I *do* know DVDs.

Now, also, you should never ever scratch either the bottom or the top of a DVD or CD. The top layer is used to keep the laser reflecting back to the reader in the player. Without the top layer, your DVD will not play. So DO NOT take sand paper to it.

When you're using a DVD, you can always look for a "Set Up" or "Options" menu to see what's available to select, turn on, turn off. As you probably noticed, or maybe not, there's no such menu selection on the DTB DVD. So, in the future, you won't have to ask humiliating questions like this. All you have to do is look for that menu. If there's not one then your DVD is not configurable.

Of course, you could also try using your remote control and selecting audio tracks. Press the "Audio" button on your remote as the DVD is playing. If you get new audio tracks, like commentary, or a different mix (like 2.0 channel instead of 5.1 or French language) then you can configure it that way. Also, try pressing the "Subtitle" button to select subtitles, if available, while the disc is playing. Most remotes have an "Action" button or an "Angle" button, sometimes pressing these while the DVD is playing will cause something to happen, too. It just depends what the DVD is encoded with.

But, you can never change the image on the TV. Not on any DVD. Any more than you can remove an instrument from a mix. I note that you are are in a band. It's like this. Once you take the tracks you recorded for your album and mix them down, they are married together. Right? You record that mix and send that to the CD plant for pressing. Right? I know, it's oversimplified, but still. So, you can't change the mix, once it's mixed down. Same thing with a DVD. Once the image is mixed down, all the visual effects are permanent.

Hope that helps. Sorry I hurt your feelings, Mr. Hell. And, to be truly magnanimous, I will say that if it was up to me to make the call, I'd say Sunshine and Happiness for all, including you. :)

#112613 by Atari
Sun Feb 19, 2006 5:53 am
You're going to play nice. Good.
#112617 by Biert
Sun Feb 19, 2006 6:10 am
gurp13 wrote:No hard feelings? But, you called me "Nancy" anyway? And "funny guy?" And a "cock?" Boy, I hate to think what happens when you *do* get your feelings hurt.

That's when he starts living up to his nickname and avatar :P
#112649 by gurp13
Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:50 am
Biert wrote:
gurp13 wrote:No hard feelings? But, you called me "Nancy" anyway? And "funny guy?" And a "cock?" Boy, I hate to think what happens when you *do* get your feelings hurt.

That's when he starts living up to his nickname and avatar :P

Good point. :D

#112650 by gurp13
Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:51 am
Atari wrote:You're going to play nice. Good.

Aw, c'mon, Atari, you know me. I always play nice. Eventually.

It's right there on my grade school report cards, "Plays well with others. Has so much potential if only he would live up to it."

#112861 by Ninja Butterfly
Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:42 pm
Atari wrote:
Mr Hell, I would say welcome but you've been here longer than I have.

Yep long time no see. Certainly good to see a BC Bud back around again :)

... and yes both play nice you have at least 2 things in common ... appreciation for a certain bunch of canadians and facial hair.

#112878 by Mr. Hell
Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:19 pm
Well, I still wish someone had the potential to eliminate those damn visual effects!
Hey Ms. Ninja! Good to be back. Thanks for the warm welcome!

#112891 by gurp13
Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:42 pm
Mr. Hell wrote:Well, I still wish someone had the potential to eliminate those damn visual effects!
Hey Ms. Ninja! Good to be back. Thanks for the warm welcome!

You take a piece of fine grit sandpaper...

Oh. Fuck, I did that already.

Note to self: get more jokes.

Hey, I wonder if we could get them to release a special Special Edition with remixed "Director's Cut" of the DTB DVD. Since it was without the visual effects they could truthfully put a sticker on the front of the special Special Edition that read, "Now with over 70 minutes of never before seen footage!"

And, we'd buy it.

Tracy, this is a good idea and I will let you have it for free. I'm generous that way. I have so many good ideas that I give them away. Yours. Take it. I don't even expect a Special Thanks To credit in the liner notes.

#112911 by Mudtrailer
Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:42 am