You are the rainbow! You are the sun to my chameleon!

#110527 by Oscar
Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:32 am
I have to use a lot of EQ on my soundcard to get the full beef out of my headphones.. and they do sound fantastic usually.. but whenever there's a bass drop it just digitally clips everything to hell and sounds awful.

:: shrug :: I think they're kinda nifty, but for me they kinda got old halfway through Alien and I don't think I'd use them in my own music.

#110528 by Paroxyst
Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:34 am
You've got no hope with headphones mate. It's definitely going to digitally clip the fuck out when you're trying to pump up frequencies that those little transducers just can't produce... ;)

#110532 by Oscar
Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:33 am
Yeah, I know :D
Everything sounds great... except Devin's recent albums.
It sucks :(
I'm not going to stop using headphones, but I do need to buy a proper headphone amp, analogue equaliser and all that. I'm too poor.

And it isn't the fact that the transducers can't.. well, transduce the frequencies.. it's the soundcard hitting its limit. I know the phones have more headroom than this. Not much though; I can already hear them rattling a bit on isolated low frequencies...
They're AKG k141S's, by the way.

#110534 by Paroxyst
Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:00 am
Nice cans, but I'm still far more inclined to think that it's the lack of low frequency response in your headphones making you dial in absurd amounts of low-freq, thus causing the output stage of your soundcard to peak.

#110669 by danceswithchickens
Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:57 pm
Strange, I don't have a problem with the bass bombs through my headphones. Of course they don't have the impact of a subwoofer, but they don't distort and the bass is very audible, except for the ultra-low ones he uses now and then. You should be able to get good low-end on decent headphones without the aid of an EQ, I think...

#110672 by DeviousMofo
Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:16 pm
This topic is becoming really educational, I'm learning a lot from this! 8)

#110678 by beef_balogna
Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:33 pm
I made a bass bomb in my pants.

:P

#110699 by Oscar
Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:32 pm
Paroxyst wrote:Nice cans, but I'm still far more inclined to think that it's the lack of low frequency response in your headphones making you dial in absurd amounts of low-freq, thus causing the output stage of your soundcard to peak.

Oh, yeah, they do roll off a fair bit... if they didn't I wouldn't have to use EQ at all. I just mean that they do sound great at those frequencies when they are fed enough power. The other issue is that my soundcard isn't that great. Plugging the same headphones into a proper amplifier, the range sounds a lot wider off the bat.
#112396 by Mr. Hell
Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:17 pm
SYL on Sounds Of The Underground on that forum sized system...wow! When those sinewaves came up it was huge!
It sure was cool to hear SYL on a system that big. Larger than life. Wish every show could have that effect.

#112404 by armheadmcgee
Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:22 am
Paroxyst wrote:You've got no hope with headphones mate. It's definitely going to digitally clip the fuck out when you're trying to pump up frequencies that those little transducers just can't produce... ;)

Not true!

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DT770pro/

That's what I've got...they've got a frequency response of 5 Hz-35,000 Hz...pretty ridiculous if you ask me (For the noobs out there, the average human ear can only hear 20-20,000 Hz, and that's extremely generous...). But I'll be damned if the bass bombs don't sound awesome in those babies!
#112423 by Socialenemy69
Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:39 am
Mr. Hell wrote:SYL on Sounds Of The Underground on that forum sized system...wow! When those sinewaves came up it was huge!
It sure was cool to hear SYL on a system that big. Larger than life. Wish every show could have that effect.

Bass bombs are good to use once in a while but I do remember Chimaira using like ten in each song which was overkill at SOTU, good thing I had my ear plugs on.
#112534 by Mr. Hell
Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:07 pm
I agree that too much of that makes it old hat pretty quickly. The novelty can wear off pretty fast when it's just a wall of bassy mush that causes ear bleeding.
Chimaira were one of my faves that day along with SYL, Opeth, Gwar and Terror.
Poison The Well on the other hand...pure shite.

#112632 by danceswithchickens
Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:13 am
Devin uses them a lot these days, but somehow I don't get tired of it. Maybe because he doesn't use the same one every time; they vary in frequency, length and intensity.

#113083 by ALieN
Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:14 am
Synchestra sounds fuckin' awesome on my Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 computer speakers. I can't wait to try it out at home on the setup my dad has in the basement.. I don't even know what the stuff is, but the speakers are each like 4 feet tall and theres a giant amp to go with it. It sounds amazing.

#113103 by danceswithchickens
Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:10 am
ALieN wrote:Synchestra sounds fuckin' awesome on my Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 computer speakers. I can't wait to try it out at home on the setup my dad has in the basement.. I don't even know what the stuff is, but the speakers are each like 4 feet tall and theres a giant amp to go with it. It sounds amazing.

So are those Klipsch speakers nice? Are they the ones selling on line for $100 or something? I was thinking about picking some up...