You are the rainbow! You are the sun to my chameleon!

#111295 by Pisshead
Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:59 am
I hope I can look back on Babysong in years to come and appreciate it more. That would be satisfying.

#111299 by steve_dave
Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:51 am
Wow... apparently i couldn't have mis-interpreted this song anymore!

On the initial hearing and reading the lyrics, i kind of adapted it to my own personal experience, basically i never knew, and still don't know, my birth father (don't worry, no sympathy needed at all!). So the lyrics 'Why don't you have a baby?' & 'fatherhood rights all your wrongs' i saw as society's pressure to have children, a nice 9 to 5 job and to do what you're told to fit in with the grand scheme.

Then it goes on to the 'Goodbye baby, daddy's going away' which i saw as the pressure of fatherhood (and everything else) getting too much, and similarly 'goodbye daddy, baby's here to stay' i read as the baby being pretty much helpless in the situation and just having to say 'goodbye' and accept that the father is gone.

Apparently not, which is fair enough, this is just how i interpereted the song!

#111323 by Torniojaws
Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:38 pm
Actually I think the line "Goodbye baby, daddy's going away" would be a little bit more straightforward in the case of Devin's. You know, how he's going off to tour around the world every now and then ;)

#111409 by EphelDuath666
Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:26 am
Torniojaws wrote:Actually I think the line "Goodbye baby, daddy's going away" would be a little bit more straightforward in the case of Devin's. You know, how he's going off to tour around the world every now and then ;)

yup, my thoughts too.

#111415 by hairy
Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:20 am
I thought he was talking aboot whisky...

#111471 by fragility
Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:44 am
That was my initial thought too...though it could be something deeper, I don't know..I guess thats the beauty of it

#111479 by steve_dave
Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:17 pm
fragility wrote:That was my initial thought too...though it could be something deeper, I don't know..I guess thats the beauty of it

yea, that's what i thought, but i rembered that the majority of Dev's lyrics are quite literal.

But as you say, the beuty of art in general is that it's open to all interpretation.

#111757 by EternalMetal
Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:52 pm
Pisshead wrote:I hope I can look back on Babysong in years to come and appreciate it more. That would be satisfying.

Me too. Its the one sig that i dont love on Synchestra. The beginning is too akward, and the whole baby and child thing seems a little gay (I hate how this word always means homosexual anymore. I mean it as a happy gay, not a homo gay) to me, a little too cheesy. Whatever, maybe it will grow on me and ill love it. But maybe the problem is my connection with the song. I dont have a girlfriend, or really plan on having kids on the near future (lack of a girlfriend/need to study school). I have no interest at this point of my life, but once I get out of college and start girl-hunting (lol), it will probably be more on my mind. I always wanted a kid, but not yet. Im not ready, nor do I have the time.

#111800 by King Fear
Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:56 am
For me, "why don't you have a baby" could also be nagging relatives (one's own parents especially, wanting to become grandparents eventually) trying to force their own views on living your life upon you.

#111832 by Persuader
Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:45 am
To me, somehow the melody of that line also contributes to the "stop nagging me about babies" interpretation.

#112042 by King Fear
Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:34 am
Persuader wrote:To me, somehow the melody of that line also contributes to the "stop nagging me about babies" interpretation.

Aye. That melody is slightly annoying somehow...

#119167 by Janne
Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:11 am
So there we have it, then.

October...

CONGRATULATIONS TO BOTH OF YOU!!! :)

You have a lot to look forward to. My daughter was born a little over two weeks ago now, and I still can't stop looking at her with amazement.

Being there to see her get born was just... Indescribable. The wave of emotion that smashed me as her body finally left the womb and entered our world almost knocked me off my feet! All of a sudden, there she was. Here she is. And here she will stay. With us.

Babies ARE good.

Again, I wish you all the best.

-Janne

#119184 by fragility
Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:12 am
Janne wrote:So there we have it, then.

October...

CONGRATULATIONS TO BOTH OF YOU!!! :)

You have a lot to look forward to. My daughter was born a little over two weeks ago now, and I still can't stop looking at her with amazement.

Being there to see her get born was just... Indescribable. The wave of emotion that smashed me as her body finally left the womb and entered our world almost knocked me off my feet! All of a sudden, there she was. Here she is. And here she will stay. With us.

Babies ARE good.

Again, I wish you all the best.

-Janne

Congratulations! :)

#119218 by Biert
Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:54 am
Yeah congrats Janne!

#119756 by VelvetKevorkian429
Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:56 am
Did anyone see in the newsletter that Tracy said they are going to have a baby soon?
Some touring has been cancelled because of it