You are the rainbow! You are the sun to my chameleon!
#109431 by Deathcom7000
Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:57 pm
I was walking in around in my neighborhood today with my dog, and decided it would be the perfect time to put on Synchestra. I walked around the light green grass and trees, and it all seemed to fit the album perfectly. When the album was finished, it was approaching sun down, so I put in Terria. Once again, the music fit perfectly, but in a darker area. So with this, I had this thought about the two albums.

You'll hear people say that Synchestra is like Terria. Devin said himself awhile ago that it's like a mix of Terria and Ocean Machine (but to be honest, I don't hear the ocean machine. maybe it'll kick in later one day). But it also sounds like Synchestra covers a brighter side of life than Terria. So this thought occurs to me whenver I listen to the albums. Terria and Synchestra are in the same place, but at different times. Terria is at sundown to sunrise, during the fall and winter. Synchestra is sunrise to sunset during the summer and spring. This is just what I like to picture about the two albums. Does anyone think that it sort of makes sense?

#109433 by VelvetKevorkian429
Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:31 pm
I think it makes perfect sense. Synchestra is a more brighter album than Terria. they both have their own feelings and themes to them

#109642 by :)
Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:20 pm
I like that theory, I'll like Synchestra more the more connections I see connecting it with Terria. I think the Ocean Machine aspects of Synchestra are mostly in Notes From Africa.

#109646 by rgx612a
Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:05 pm
Synchresta is whatever it wants to be, to any specific person, just like all the albums IMO. I don't feel it's tied to any specific season or time of day. There's no denying the general positive mood of the album though, but it can go with any season or time of day IMO. Who says dark music has to be connected to night or winter months, or more uplifting positive music connected to day and summer months. I don't like to make connections like that. I kinda feel like Synchresta is it's own specific mood and vibe, and it's not exactly connected to our simple way of viewing the world. It's unique in that it can mean different things to different people.

For me, I pick up a specific vibe from all of Devin's albums. i don't really have anything in our tangible world to compare it too, cause it's a unique vibe very connected with the album alone.

It's been really rainy and stormy around here lately in B.C. and I feel Synchresta fits the vibe fine, cause I don't make the connetion of sadness = rain, clouds or whatever. I enjoy the rain actually.

BTW You all sound like hippies, myself included.

#109647 by Falk
Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:10 pm
There was one thing I was curious about Synchestra, it's when Devin said it was more positive than the previous albums.
As for movies (and everything in general I think, well IMO^^), sad things print themselves more easily in mind than happy things (kinda sad uh ? we poor human beings^^)

So I feared it would maybe not work as well, or it would not "phase" perfectly with what we could wait (well I'm speaking for myself, I like some crazy stuff like Ma Meeshka Mow Skowz from Mr. Bungle, but what I always find myself liking more than anything else are songs that give me a feeling of "humbleness/contemplation", and Ocean Machine is pretty good at that).

But it works well, and I've already said it, but I find the track order pretty good. I can now find this feeling of humbleness/contemplation in Simple Lullaby/Sunset (and in Babysong too, but maybe a bit less), which gives a slow but epic feel to the end of the album, just before Notes From Africa (and Sunshine and Happiness) really put an end to the album on a happy note (I like my albums with an epic/contemplative then happy end^^)

But yep', I don't really know how to compare it to Ocean Machine. The contemplative/humble aspect is present on Synchestra though not as much as on OM IMO (as it's more happy, maybe it strikes less than OM), on the other hand, Synchestra is really a whole, more than OM I'd say (OM was by the "water/ocean" feel thoughout the album, but not as much regarding the songs complementation).

#109652 by dedrexel
Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:05 pm
I don't think this is happy music.

#109684 by arkadin
Sat Feb 04, 2006 1:21 am
Devin often refers to colours when he speaks about his albums or his projects: thus, Strapping is red and black, Physicist is grey, Ocean Machine is Blue, Infinity is White, Terria is brown , and to me Synchestra "sounds" green 8)
What are your feelings about ( sorry: aboot) this ?
#109694 by Das Schuetzenfest
Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:21 am
Deathcom7000 wrote:I was walking in around in my neighborhood today with my dog, and decided it would be the perfect time to put on Synchestra.

Damn, you put on Synchestra on your home stereo, left your house to walk the dog and were listening to the album all the time? You must have a huge-ass and powerfull home stereo system! :shock:

And what did the neighbors say? Did they like the album? :)
#109700 by Janne
Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:32 am
Das Schuetzenfest wrote:Damn, you put on Synchestra on your home stereo, left your house to walk the dog and were listening to the album all the time? You must have a huge-ass and powerfull home stereo system! :shock:

I actually did something like that once. I grew up in a house located next to a field, and on the other side of the field, there was a cemetary and a church. Well, one day, I decided to open my windows and place my speakers there, facing the cemetary. Then I put on an Alice Cooper album and ran the fastest I could to the cemetary to see if I could hear the music.

I could. :twisted:
#109758 by Deathcom7000
Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:00 pm
Das Schuetzenfest wrote:
Deathcom7000 wrote:I was walking in around in my neighborhood today with my dog, and decided it would be the perfect time to put on Synchestra.

Damn, you put on Synchestra on your home stereo, left your house to walk the dog and were listening to the album all the time? You must have a huge-ass and powerfull home stereo system! :shock:

Um... I had a walkman :p

#109768 by EternalMetal
Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:07 pm
I feel the same way. Terria is a really dark earthy album imo, and the new one is a bright sunny summer day for the most part. The new one is pretty happy as far as im concerned, but I used to feel as though AE was perfectly happy, until I listened to it 100 times and realized that it was a cold happy, and it wasnt really truly a happy album. But it is uplifting, just not happy. if that makes any sense :lol:

#109828 by sj_2150
Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:35 am
EternalMetal wrote:I feel the same way. Terria is a really dark earthy album imo, and the new one is a bright sunny summer day for the most part. The new one is pretty happy as far as im concerned, but I used to feel as though AE was perfectly happy, until I listened to it 100 times and realized that it was a cold happy, and it wasnt really truly a happy album. But it is uplifting, just not happy. if that makes any sense :lol:

happy

#109831 by Pisshead
Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:03 am
sj_2150 wrote:
EternalMetal wrote:I feel the same way. Terria is a really dark earthy album imo, and the new one is a bright sunny summer day for the most part. The new one is pretty happy as far as im concerned, but I used to feel as though AE was perfectly happy, until I listened to it 100 times and realized that it was a cold happy, and it wasnt really truly a happy album. But it is uplifting, just not happy. if that makes any sense :lol:

happy

Do you ever have anything of use to say?

#109904 by Deathcom7000
Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:58 pm

ya man, that makes total sense. I find the final song on Accelerated Evolution does sorta give a "happy" feeling at the end, but the rest of the album isn't quite so (time for a new word for happy) joyous.

#110247 by gurp13
Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:51 pm
Pisshead wrote:
sj_2150 wrote:

happy

Do you ever have anything of use to say?

That's a little unfair. Do any of us ever have anything of use to say?

And, i think SJ is agreeing with the previous post but pointing out that overwhelmingly Synchestra is happy.

With which, I agree. I think there's some other emotions in there, to be sure. From Vampira through A Simple Lullaby, there's some soul searching going on. But, I wouldn't qualify it as anger or sadness or whatever. But, it's not happy, either. Most of the album, though, is pretty happy.