You are the rainbow! You are the sun to my chameleon!

#110009 by beef_balogna
Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:25 pm
Paroxyst wrote:sj_2150 thanks for you input. Funnily enough I have also studied music and technical production for a number of years. I also earn a living in the field.

Look, you have no idea who you're talking to little boy. :evil:

Whatever. All I know is that if you listen to this stuff on a *REAL* system (I'm using professional speakers that many albums are actually *MIXED* on) you will hear that the guitars don't drop when the massive sub bass booms hit. It all holds together beautifully.

#110010 by Guffers
Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:26 pm
oh no probs i wasnt offended at all! just wanted to get into a discussion on dynamics because i think a lot of musicians these days are almost completely ignorant of them. i agree that some music benefits from compression though, but in the case of classical or even jazz, it kills it.

#110011 by sj_2150
Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:29 pm
:disturb: KEEP IT TOGETHER!!!!!!

:lol:

#110012 by Paroxyst
Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:33 pm
Yeah Beef_Balonga, I guess I really don't. I don't know what kind of industry professional would barge in casting dispertions about everybody's program material and hardware, make bitchy and unfounded assertions with a superior attitude, and present oxymoronical arguments without backing them up with simple, objective, non-bitchy and non offensive technical discussion.

I simply put forward a professional point-of-view, which granted may be wrong, and I am simply interested in technical discussion in understandable, objective terms. I'm not interested a war of the egos, I feel no need to start pulling out qualifications and job synopsies, I just want to discuss the phenomenon that everyone has been experiencing.
Last edited by Paroxyst on Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#110013 by Coma Divine
Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:34 pm

I noticed that on the last page there were scant references to the album to which this thread purports to discuss.

On topic, or locked.

Flaming can always be conducted via PM.

#110014 by sj_2150
Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:35 pm
no i think both of you think youre superior to the other. pfft! elitists...

#110015 by Paroxyst
Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:36 pm
*lol* No! I really don't! :D

I just get tired of the condescending crap in the middle of what was otherwise an interesting discussion. :shrug:

#110016 by beef_balogna
Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:39 pm
Hey what album were we talking about again? I forgot.
:oops:

#110017 by Paroxyst
Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:40 pm
Bass booms on Strapping Young Lad's Alien and the Devin Townsend Band's Synchestra.

#110018 by beef_balogna
Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:41 pm
Who's Strapping Young Lad?

#110025 by sj_2150
Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:57 pm
beef_balogna wrote:Who's Strapping Young Lad?

yes i want to know aswell

#110026 by Paroxyst
Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:59 pm
You guys are hilarious. :lol:

#110030 by beef_balogna
Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:23 am
Paroxyst wrote:You guys are hilarious. :lol:

Yes of course we are. Anyway... if you consider yourself a "music and technical production" person maybe you should buy yourself some real speakers so you can hear properly?
I use these and highly recommend them:

http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHB2031A

#110031 by Paroxyst
Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:25 am
:lol: Yeah, now you are being a comedian.

#110032 by BLOOOR
Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:27 am
i agree the album could be more dynamic
same goes for AE really
the song writing allows for it, theres plenty of space there, just not in the performance or the production.. but hey, lets just lets those loud guitars ring out and the compressors do their job, i tell ya its a pleasant sound

still, this is on par with the best productions in the devy discography... Alien is probably my favorite, but I didn't start thinking about the recording for a long time.. although I did notice the bass booms effect on the mix (on the cd of course, I havent even heard it or Synchestra through an mp3!)
But the arrangement stuff from Alien, like the tuned percussion sounds and infinity style backing choir lines, is all done just as well on this one.
There IS depth on this.. but hey, I only heard the thing for the first time two days ago, and I dont really wanna suck all the goodness out of it quite yet.

One qualm, in Pixellate, that great low muted guitar melody that comes in at the one minute point is just a little too quiet.. BUUUUUT I wouldn't say thats bad mixing, cuz its still new to me, and I only want it louder cuz i LIKE it. But it kinda seems like the rhythm parts are prioritized.. even though that melody is supported with all this other stuff thats just under the surface (Hey, theres some dynamic for ya!)... actually, fuck it, I really like that :wink: