You are the rainbow! You are the sun to my chameleon!
#111529 by Deathcom7000
Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:46 pm
So awhile back, I accidently ordered 2 Synchestra CDs (and none of them were even the special edition ones :( ) rather than send it back, I decided to give one of them to a friend of mine whose a pretty big prog fan. So I give him the cd, and lecture him on how to listen to it. He already knows all those rules, so he tells me not to worry, and he waits for the perfect opportunity to listen to it. Today, he came running up to me screaming "SYNCHESTRA IS AMAZING!! I LISTEND TO IT 3 TIMES YESTERDAY"!!! He even knew the words, and titles to the songs!! And he just heard it yesterday! No one I know knows the tracks to any Devin album (except Earth Day). And heres the best part of it all. Keep in mind he knows NOTHING about Devin Townsend, or SYL. He said to me "I wanna get a Devin t-shirt now". HOW AWSOME! He didn't even know that phrase, but he said it! Synchestra is indeed the greatest thing to start off the new year, and will probably be the best thing this year.

#111535 by Tim
Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:21 pm
Cool.

#111596 by ALieN
Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:30 pm
Wish I had more friends that understood Dev's music.. lol

#111616 by Cav
Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:11 am
I love the smell of converts in the morning...

#111621 by Kivenkantaja
Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:33 am
World would be a better place if there would be more people like that friend of yours.

#111627 by Persuader
Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:27 am
1 down, soo many more to go. ;)

#111636 by mo
Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:53 am
awesome
I got my drummer to buy it and he listened to it 13 times in 2 days... I think he likes it, either that or he still can't decide.

#111643 by BaldMosher446
Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:05 am
I've listened to it close to 30 times since I got it, so what does that tell you? :lol:

#111726 by JuZ
Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:39 pm
My experience with introducing people to Dev is that they either LOVE it or HATE it. I've never had anyone say "yeah, that's not bad."

And that's the way I like it.

#111740 by mo
Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:12 pm
nah i have a few friends who are indifferent about dev

#111760 by EternalMetal
Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:57 pm
Just make sure he buys the t-shirt. Thats all that counts :lol:

I only kind of converted a friend. But I think it was halfway because my other friend was always a big SYL fan, as he kind of showed me SYL around the time of AE. I then found Dev's solo work and delved into it.

Most people dont like it though. Its kind of aggravating. One of my good friends thinks its lame (but he listens to solely NOFX, so yea), and the other people I show it to just dont understand it. I think it has to do with their intelligence level sometimes. Not saying Dev's music is esoteric, but that these people just dont hae the focus required to enjoy his music.

#111782 by Deathcom7000
Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:41 pm
That makes sense. I used to be the same. Back then I only liked SYL, and Ocean Machine. I listened to the Canada mp3 and didn't like it. Nothing was clicking. But then one day Infinity clicked for me, and I decided to give Canada another chance, and I loved it. So I decided then that it was time to put Terria to the test. That album changed my entire view of music :D

But yes, Devin's music can be weird for a lot of people. The beauty of it though is that all of his music is different. Maybe you should show your friend physicist if he likes Strapping a lot.

#111922 by EternalMetal
Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:44 am
Deathcom7000 wrote:But yes, Devin's music can be weird for a lot of people. The beauty of it though is that all of his music is different. Maybe you should show your friend physicist if he likes Strapping a lot.

I think my post was confusing. The kid that loves SYL got me into SYL, and I also think he knew about the solo stuff and ust wast telling me :P . And then I found the solo stuff a little later and showed it to my other friend who was a good friend with the other kid, so yea, an SYL/DTB triangle :lol:

#111957 by Deathcom7000
Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:32 pm
Oh. I think I see. I knew that your first friend liked SYL, but I thought he was your other friend too, so I didn't think he knew about Devin's solo work... this is confusing.