You are the rainbow! You are the sun to my chameleon!

#112006 by Burzum
Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:53 pm
Bash wrote:I forced my friend to buy Biomech. He's searching for Infinity now.

That's the way. If they still say no, punch them in the head until they change their mind.

#112013 by into the voigtex
Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:20 pm
Deathcom7000 wrote:I used to be the same. Back then I only liked SYL, and Ocean Machine. I listened to the Canada mp3 and didn't like it. Nothing was clicking. But then one day Infinity clicked for me, and I decided to give Canada another chance, and I loved it. So I decided then that it was time to put Terria to the test. That album changed my entire view of music :D

Music comes to you when you are ready for it. Only when you are ready and willing to accept its influence can it be understood.

Okay... that was a little bit... Yoda.

I remember listening to Meshuggah's "Destroy Erase Improve" many years ago. This was around 1996, and unfortunately I just didn't "get" Meshuggah at all. It took many years of building up to listening to really heavy bands before I could even fathom what the attraction was about Meshuggah. It's only really been in the last four or five years that I've started to really understand it.

Now imagine what playing Synchestra or Terria must feel like for someone who has been weaned on a diet of Saturday morning R'n'B music videos, or greatest hits of the 80s and 90s inane breakfast bantering radio supidity. Point is, some people just aren't going to be ready for the Dev, no matter how many times we punch them in the head.

However, that's not to say we should stop punching them.

:D
#112030 by gurp13
Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:12 pm
Deathcom7000 wrote:So awhile back, I accidently ordered 2 Synchestra CDs (and none of them were even the special edition ones :( ) rather than send it back, I decided to give one of them to a friend of mine whose a pretty big prog fan. So I give him the cd, and lecture him on how to listen to it. He already knows all those rules, so he tells me not to worry, and he waits for the perfect opportunity to listen to it. Today, he came running up to me screaming "SYNCHESTRA IS AMAZING!! I LISTEND TO IT 3 TIMES YESTERDAY"!!! He even knew the words, and titles to the songs!! And he just heard it yesterday! No one I know knows the tracks to any Devin album (except Earth Day). And heres the best part of it all. Keep in mind he knows NOTHING about Devin Townsend, or SYL. He said to me "I wanna get a Devin t-shirt now". HOW AWSOME! He didn't even know that phrase, but he said it! Synchestra is indeed the greatest thing to start off the new year, and will probably be the best thing this year.

Whether you are gay or straight, I don't care. You give this man a hump. Love him like he deserves to be loved.

#112125 by EternalMetal
Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:24 pm
Deathcom7000 wrote:Oh. I think I see. I knew that your first friend liked SYL, but I thought he was your other friend too, so I didn't think he knew about Devin's solo work... this is confusing.

Yes, very. I should have used names :lol:

Hows this:
Carl was an SYL fan, he showed me SYL, I was now an SYL fan. He also showed Jeff SYL, he is now an SYL fan. Then I found Devin's solo work. I was now a fan. I think Carl knew about it before, but I dont know if he did or was just hiding it from me :lol:. Then I dont know who showed Jeff his solo work, cause Jeff is also a DTB fan now. I think this makes better sense :oops: :lol:

#112192 by ALieN
Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:29 pm
hahah, I'm the friend who loves SYL that EternalMetal is talkin about... hey scott! lol

#112251 by Biert
Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:59 am
I had a friend of mine listen to Vampolka/Vampira and he loved them so much he bought the DVD edition of Synchestra. Now he's a bit disappointed tho, because the rest of the album is so different.
Don't get me wrong, he likes the album. It's just that track 5 and 6 are his favourites by a long way.

#112322 by Deathcom7000
Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:47 pm
EternalMetal wrote:
Deathcom7000 wrote:Oh. I think I see. I knew that your first friend liked SYL, but I thought he was your other friend too, so I didn't think he knew about Devin's solo work... this is confusing.

Yes, very. I should have used names :lol:

Hows this:
Carl was an SYL fan, he showed me SYL, I was now an SYL fan. He also showed Jeff SYL, he is now an SYL fan. Then I found Devin's solo work. I was now a fan. I think Carl knew about it before, but I dont know if he did or was just hiding it from me :lol:. Then I dont know who showed Jeff his solo work, cause Jeff is also a DTB fan now. I think this makes better sense :oops: :lol:

I get it now :)

I gave a girl who listens to tons of alternative music some devin songs. She heard the first tracks 3 tracks on Synchestra, and she loved em, so that was cool. Then later I showed her Nobody's Here, and she said the lyrics were kinda stupid. Probably the lines "Can I offer you a beer" and "fuck off". I kinda like those lines though. I also showed her life cause it's easily the most mainstreme sounding song, and she loved it. But still, how can someone hate Devy's lyrics? I think that she may be the kind of person who pays attention to what the person is saying rather than the lyrics, and sinse Dev's music is based on his mood and experiences, she didn't like it because she didn't understand it.

#112329 by Kivenkantaja
Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:57 pm
Deathcom7000 wrote:But still, how can someone hate Devy's lyrics? I think that she may be the kind of person who pays attention to what the person is saying rather than the lyrics, and sinse Dev's music is based on his mood and experiences, she didn't like it because she didn't understand it.

Well, doesn't Devin say in about all of his interview's that he would hate to sing some other persons lyrics because he would not fully understand them?

#112340 by Deathcom7000
Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:19 pm
I don't remember that, but it does sound like something he'd say. And thats the point I'm trying to make. She dosn't like the music because she dosn't know what it's about.

#112445 by Atlantisian
Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:34 am
into the voigtex wrote:
I remember listening to Meshuggah's "Destroy Erase Improve" many years ago. This was around 1996, and unfortunately I just didn't "get" Meshuggah at all. It took many years of building up to listening to really heavy bands before I could even fathom what the attraction was about Meshuggah. It's only really been in the last four or five years that I've started to really understand it.

haha, I really loved Meshuggah 10 years ago or something when i was heavily into death metal and the likes, then i didnt listen to them in a while and all of a sudden i noticed i hated their music! I was like "however could I like this shit?" but then, when i picked up DEI again a few months ago my love for their music was resurrected, and now ive been listening to their new albums alot and im slowly beginning to like them as well. Shows how much your musicstyle evolves and changes during the years.